Austin Babies

IHO AJL (& others): Hypochondriac Olympics!!

I am so happy AJL posted!! I was just about to post a few questions myself...so what are yours??? I know some of you already posted (please post again--they are good)!

(Who knows...maybe our resident health experts can "talk us down." Embarrassed

Jennifer--
imageimageimage

Re: IHO AJL (& others): Hypochondriac Olympics!!

• So I went and had a physical with a laundry list of ailments...I turn 40 next week. He was really great by listening to each and addressing each item. For my stomach ailments (gas and pain after meals) and he ordered an abdominal ultrasound. Nothing. I've been pretty miserable after every meal and nothing. So I guess I have to cut out gluten and see if I feel any better (I'm thinking after the holidays--until then, I'll just suffer on the bad days).

My irrational recent concerns: (1) I want a chest x-ray. My parents were chain smokers while I was growing up and both had cancer (my mom died, my dad is still alive). So I'm confident that I have lung cancer without symptoms. (2) I have MS. My ability to drop stuff is amazing and it's only bad at certain times. My left side is way weaker than my right--I never noticed until I started working out.

I WISH I had a copay. We have a huge deductible and it was met when DS1 broke his leg (femur) earlier this year. However, there is this thing called co-insurance and it's kicking our financial butt! So, I don't dare bring up my concerns to DH after my recent round of testing. Sad Thanks for letting me vent...

Jennifer--
    imageimageimage
  • I adore you.

Invest in some digestive enzymes and healthy probiotics.  Don't suffer through the holidays.  Email me if you want some good recs.  Regular use of both of these solve most digestive problems.  Some people that should be off gluten can even tolerate gluten with enzymes, you just have to find the right one for you.

I don't believe you have MS.  I've witnessed most of the MS symptoms with DS's demyelination...I don't see that in you AT ALL.  Left sided weakness (which ds had) is usually a result of viral nerve damage.  Totally fixable.  Email me anytime dear. 

I totally get it....my oldest is such a hypochondriac.  Makes me crazy, the kid ices his mosquito bites.  

• Loading the player...
  • imagecarlinlp:

I don't believe you have MS. 

Me neither (although I've never met you!).  My mom has MS, was diagnosed 20 years ago after complaining of a near constant tingling plus numbness (if that even makes sense) in her left hand (kind of like the pins-and-needles when it falls asleep), which got worse and spread down her left leg when under stress.  I also have a few friends with MS, who were diagnosed after an acute attack which left them temporarily unable to move one or both of their legs.  At all.

As for me, just this morning I was convinced I have pre-eclampsia.  My BP, which is always perfect, pregnant or not, was high (149/70) at my dr appt, plus I'm all swollen all to hell and the scale said some ridiculous amount of weight gain in the past week.  I just KNEW the nurse was going to come back and say there was protien in my urine and that they were going to induce labor today!  Thankfully, that didn't happen.

My other complaint is that I have MS.  Because I have near constant numbness in my right hand - only in my ring finger, and slightly in my middle finger, and across the back of my hand.  My doctor assures me that this is pregnancy-related carpal tunnel syndrom, which I'm sure it is, and that it will go away when I'm un-pregnant (as he calls it!).  Just can't help but worry, though, because of my mom, and being almost the age she was when she was diagnosed.

• If the worry of MS drives you crazy - go have your retinas scanned at the eye doctor.  It is an early indicator of MS.  We did this with Teagan just to be sure because I was making myself crazy wondering what is down the line from him post vax reaction.  It's totally painless and cheap to do.
  • Can I join?

I think I have some kind of thyroid problem.  I don't even really know the symptoms of thyroid issues, but it has to be the explanation for all of this (not the fact that I have a 6month old baby):

extreme drop-dead tiredness (my baby sleeps 12 hours a night, I shouldn't be THIS exhausted),  achy joints (especially my feet and wrists), my hair hasn't grown an inch in 9 months, did I mention that I'm tired?, my eyes are dry and itchy, my skin is dry and flaky, etc, etc...

image  image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Let's Jeff Foxworthy this ...

You might be a hypochondriac if...

You worry so much about moles, you don't believe the doctor. And these moles are on someone ELSE'S body. My husband has some narly moles on his back. They look like melanoma moles. I sent him to his doctor who said they were fine. WHAT? He didn't even have them tested. DH refuses to see another doctor about them because his first doctor said no problem. So for the last 3 years, I've been convinced my husband is dying (slowly) of skin cancer.

• (1) so I'm totally changing the title of my post...oops nevermind...thanks for joinging me...

(2) Amylisa--you made my paranoia a little worse. I didn't know about the tingling/numbing sensation. When I'm at rest in a chair or even in bed, sometimes my arms get tingly; like from my shoulders all the way down to my hands. It starts off as annoying and then it hurts. Really hurts. It takes a several minutes of pacing to 'get over it.' So please tell me I'm being paranoid. I'm really sorry about your mom and your fears of you getting MS too. I had a friend with a mom with MS so I think this is why I'm so paranoid about getting it.

(3) Thanks Lyndsay, you'll get an email from me soon :)  I didn't remember the name of the enzyme you recommended to me awhile ago. Also, thanks for the tidbit about the eye exam. I'm due for one of those at the end of December so I'll just ask my eye doctor what she thinks.

Jennifer--
    imageimageimage
  • DH refuses to kiss ds on the lips because he doesn't want DS getting his germs.  He doesn't let me either.  So it's kisses on the cheek. Sometimes I wonder why the man wanted a child.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"