Stay at Home Moms

XP from Nov 2010: Does anyone watch other children to supplement income?

Hello,

I've never lurked or posted on this board, but I figure you would be the best group to ask!

I ask because I'm thinking about doing this down the road (maybe within the year, maybe later). I currently work full time, but really want to SAHM. We are working on consolidating/reducing/paying off some debt, but we are still a decent way away from me staying home. One of the things I've been considering, now that I find DD easier to care for, is to offer to care for another child during the day (to supplement income). 

I would not do this solely for the money- I don't think I can put my heart into something if I'm doing it just for the money- so I would need to make sure it's something I WANT to do. 

If you are doing/ have done this, please share your thoughts and experiences. How old was/is your child, how old was/is the other child(ren). What did you get paid, how did you find them (or they find you). How long did this arrangement last? Thanks for letting me pic your brains.

TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image image

Re: XP from Nov 2010: Does anyone watch other children to supplement income?

• I do not watch other children in my home (I work at a restaurant a couple nights a week) but others have said (on here and IRL) it can get difficult if you are not able to get out of the house when you want to. Getting out of the house, for me, is critical in my SAHM status, especially in the winter! Something to consider...
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I did it this past summer when there was a family visiting our community that needed childcare while her parents worked.  She was about a month younger than my son (3) and they played well together most of the time.  For the most part I watched her 2 or 3 mornings per week and it worked well for us since it was like a play date for my son and daughter.  DD still naps in the morning so it wasn't too difficult to have an extra little body.  The only really tough part was that both 3 year olds were potty training this summer so some mornings were a little messy.  They paid $10/hr which was great.  I would also suggest doing it on a trial basis to see if your kids get along because on those few days that the kids were fighting, it was awful.
    E-8/9/08, A-6/7/10, W-1/11/12
  • Loading the player...
  • I did it for the first nine months my child was born. The child was 2 months older, and I was doing it mostly to help out a friend. I really hated it. The child was never the problem. The mother and father were awful. Anytime my son would hit a milestone they would get mad if I didn't credit their son with teaching him to do it. The idea of all children moving at their own pace was not ok with them.

I got paid $20 a day and watch the child for about 8.5 hours 3 times a week.  If you need the extra money and child gets along with your child I could see it working out well. I would not recommended watching a child of a friend. Find someone you don't know, so if you don't like it you don't hurt a friend.

• Def do it on a trial basis to see how it goes/how you like it

I did it for awhile only a few days a week 7-5.  If it was 5 days a week, it would not have worked for me at all.  But the kid was needy and wasn't the best behaved; I found it difficult to get things done.   I was happy when I wasn't needed anymore.

• I do, 5 days a week from 7-4.The LO I watch is a year younger than my older DD. Her mom works for the school system, so I only have her during the school year, on school days. Any holidays/school breaks are my days off.

Pros: -The interaction with another child for my girls. DD1 is learning to share, play nice, be gentle, DD2 has another child to watch and learn from.

-The money isn't a lot, but it's paying off our tiny bit of credit card debt and padding our savings.

Cons: -The LO I watch has some special needs that can make things a little tricky. Nothing unmanageable, just slightly different challenges.

-Being tied to the house. LO's parents have no problem with me taking their child out for playdates, errands, etc., but since DD2 was born I can no longer fit all of their car seats in my vehicle. I have to go at night or wait for a day when her mom doesn't have school to run errands. Days when I have to be somewhere (girls dr appts, etc) I let her mom know as far in advance as possible and she make other arrangements.

It's not easy, but honestly, I feel like it worth it, otherwise I wouldn't do it. And if I ever feel it's too much, or detrimental to me or my family, I'll stop.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi Ladies-

Thanks for the honest input, I appreciate it. You didn't say anything that I hadn't already thought about- which to me is a good thing. That's means I'm being realistic with my expectations.

Keep 'em coming!

thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • I watched a couple of friends LO's when DD was younger.

I found it easier to go to their houses, they behaved better and DD thought she was at a playdate.  I charged $50 a day.  I did it once a week for friend #1 from 8 - 5 and 2 or 3 times a month for friend #2.  It was okay.  Friend #1 started to treat me more like an employee than a friend even when we were just hanging out socially.  DD started pdo so that ended the arrangement without any hurt feelings.  Friend #2 was awesome and would watch DD for me when I needed a sitter and it was a completely different feel.  I don't think I would have done it full time every day.

I would be very upfront about pay and expectations - friend #1 paid me monthly, friend #2 each time she used me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't do this for money, by any means.  I watch a little boy who is 11 months older than DS1.  He started with us 11 months ago.  I get paid $300 biweekly for FT with meals.  That's pretty standard for my area.

Somedays I get bored, so I make arrangements for playdates with moms in my neighborhood.  But, that's more for me than anything else.

This little boy is a perfect match for our family.  He is very quiet, very nice, very polite.  He is overly sensitive, but it's nothing that can't be dealt with.  It's very hard to discipline DS1 with the little boy around... he always cries when I correct DS1's behavior.   

DS1 has a "live-in" best friend.

My biggest issues come from my opinions about his parents.  At first it bothered me, but I have learned to just let it go.  The little boy is 3 years old.  His mom and dad still give him bottles.  He takes 3 8oz bottles before bed, they feed him just absolute garbage at home.  I get to deal with diarrhea every.single.day.  It's pretty disgusting.  I PT'd the little boy, and his dad had some issues with my naked method because "they're not poor, they can afford clothes, so he should wear them."   

It's just harder to deal with parents than it is to deal with kids.  That's been the biggest lesson learned.  Kids, I can train, parents, not so much.

Oh, and we found each other through a mutual friend.  I was telling my neighbor my plans to get licensed to run a daycare, and she mentioned her friend was looking for a FT DCP.  It worked out beautifully.   

Good luck!! 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I watch my 2.5 year old niece at night. She sleeps at my house 3-6 nights a week. Her mom is a nurse and works 3rd shift. My brother and her split and my brother only gets my niece on sundays. Now i dont mind it too much. but in the beginning it was really really really hard! I get paid about 250$ a week. Which i think its ok. My old baby sitting job i got 100$ a day. But shes sleeping most of the time. And shes my niece. If we ever wanted to go out or something my mom would watch both kids no problem. And we could always hire a baby sitter to watch her too.

I wouldnt do it if it was my niece.. and I dont think I would do it during the day. Like other people said it would be really hard to get out of the house and do things during the day and I wouldnt be cool with that. If I have something I need to do a night I would take one and leave one at home with FI or we would all go.

I took her to a mary kay party once which was fun lol. But like i said I would not do it if it wasnt my niece

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"