December 2010 Moms
Options

AW Jacob is 1! (PIPs & long birth story)

And I'm home sick today, not exactly how I planned to spend it but it seems a nasty head cold has taken up residence in our house.  I'm going to do pictures first b/c that's been my favorite part of everyone elses posts! 

Here is a picture of him that first morning in the NICU:

and my favorite NICU pics (the thing on his head are sunglasses for the bili lights):

imageimage

And here is he now! 

Very long and not fun birth story:  Friday after Thanksgiving I woke up to contractions.  I lost my MP & had show, we also think that my water broke at this time but it was such a slow leak when I called they thought it wasn't more than increased discharge.  The contractions were consistent at about 30sec every 7-8min but didn't increase in duration, intensity or get closer.  This continued until Sunday.  Yep, all day Fri, Sat, and Sun.  Sunday night I went to take a bath and noticed that the "discharge" had changed colors.  I imminently called the OB and she said it was up to me if I wanted to come in.  I knew something was wrong. 

I showered and we headed in.  When I got checked in triage they confirmed there was AF and the color change was meconium, also I was only at 70% and 1cm (after 3 effing days!).  After getting settled in our room (at this point it was about 11pm) I was monitored for an hour then started on cytotec.  The contractions got stronger and closer but when they checked again at 6am I was at 2cm but almost full effaced.  At 7 they tried to start pitocin and baby's hr dropped and my bp spiked.  We waited another hour for OB to get there and tried again.  At that point I was put on oxygen (full mask) and had to be on constant monitoring so I couldn't get up or move around at all.  They started the pit again and it there were no reactions but I had to stay lying on my left side. 

After 4 hours I couldn't do it anymore and had to get an epi.  We had prepared and planned a med free birth but it wasn't meant to be.  Part of the reason they wanted to do the epi was they didn't want me out of bed to go to the bathroom so they wanted to cath anyway.  The epi worked great at first and I got some rest but after a few hours it stopped working on one side.  I was progressing slow.  At 5pm I was only at 5cm.  The dr said if I wasn't going faster by the time she came back around we were going to have to recommend c-section.  But because of the failing epi I would have had to go under general so I really didn't want that.  Luckily my body heard and by 7pm I was at 7cm.  It still took until midnight before I got to 10cm, and by then the epi was gone completely.  During that time I spiked a fever - I went to 103 and they started antibiotics through the iv.  I pushed for 45min before they got the vacuum which took 2 more pushes then he was out. 

Jacob Everett was born at 12:46 am, Tuesday Nov. 30, 5lb5oz 18.5".  He was blue and not moving.  His first apgar was a 2.  It took the longest 3minutes of my life for them to get him to cry.  He was across the room with H and the NICU crew (already there b/c of my fever) while I was crying, shaking, and vomiting in the bed.  Once he was stabilized they brought him to me but I couldn't hold him b/c of the shaking and vomiting.  I kissed his head and he was gone.  H went with him to the NICU and my mom, who was waiting outside the room, came in to be with me. 

After I was stabilized (about 2 hours) they wheeled me down to the NICU to see him but they were placing the umbilical IV so we had to wait outside and I fell asleep in the chair so they took me to my room.  I slept about 3 hours then work up and ate for the first time since Sunday.  As soon as we could we went down to the NICU.  It broke my heart to see him in there.  The hospital LC came and brought me a pump and set up and thus started my 6months of exclusive pumping.  At first he was on oxygen so that and because of the umbilical IV we couldn't hold him.  We held him for the first time later that day but only for a few minutes because I had to stand next to the monitors and I was having trouble standing.

After a few days he was doing so much better.  We were able to hold him more and more.  He finally got to come home a week later.  And now after a year he is doing great.  He's hitting milestones and growing just fine (still small but on his curve).

image   image

Re: AW Jacob is 1! (PIPs & long birth story)

• Options
    Oh my gosh.. what a long birth! I can't even imagine how scared you must have been for that 3 minutes. He is adorable. Happy birthday Jacob!
  • Options

So glad you guys all made it through that happy and healthy.

Everytime I see pictures in people birth story posts, it still amazes me how much these babies have grown and changed in a year.

Happy Birthday Jacob!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Happy Birthday, Jacob! what a cutie!

And this part just made me tear up....it sounds so much like my experience with H.

imageEMO-mamma:

He was blue and not moving.  His first apgar was a 2.  It took the longest 3minutes of my life for them to get him to cry.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Happy Birthday J!
  • Options

What a long and scary birth.  I'm glad everything turned out okay in the long run for all of you.  J's looking so big!

Happy birthday J!

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday, Jacob!  Wow...sounds like you had quite an ordeal!  So glad it all turned out ok and you have a beautiful little guy!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    What an intense birth story! I am so glad he's happy & healthy now! Happy 1st birthday, Jacob!

• Options
    I love all of these stories!
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    Happy Birthday, little J man! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    How heart wrenching and exhausting!  It so hard to imagine that you had such a crazy labor when you look at his perfect face!  Happy Birthday little guy!  
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I never posted the whole story on here b/c it took me while to deal with everything. I talked to a lot of people after (including my OB & another MW) trying to find out if I made the wrong decisions. I just hope the next one goes better.

image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"