Working Moms

XP: Stopping BF Upon Returning to Work (longish)

I originally posted this on the December 2011 board, but thought I would post here, as well, as you ladies might have a unique perspective.

I am in a situation where there is absolutely no good place for me to pump once I return to work after my eight week maternity leave. I work in a very modern building. None of the offices have doors and all of the conference rooms are glass. The two bathrooms on my floor are single unisex bathrooms and are pretty much disgusting most of the time - not places where I'd be comfortable pumping. Using facilities on another floor isn't an option and the laws regarding providing a private non-bathroom place to pump don't apply to my employer because we don't have 50 employees.

So, as a result, I'm stuck in a situation where it really isn't practical for me to pump once I return to work. I'm planning to either rent or borrow a pump to use during my leave to save up as much milk as possible, but I will probably stop BF at the end of my leave. As such, I'm going to have to introduce formula at some point.

Honestly, I don't feel badly or guilty about not EBF, because the situation is what it is.  I guess I just don't know how to approach supplementing early on. How early should I start giving formula? How early should I start the bottle? I'm having a lot of anxiety about the process. Any tips? Is anyone else facing the same issue?
DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP: Stopping BF Upon Returning to Work (longish)

• Can you pump in your car?  Or is there something like a store room, etc?

That being said, if you do need to stop feeding during the daytime you can still BF part time.  It's completely do-able.  Just slowly introduce one bottle of formula during the daytime hours until you are using formula for day, and you can keep nursing in the morning and at night and probably even some on weekends during the day. If you pump right before you start work and right when you get done in your car or something you may even be able to only need to supplement a little.

As far as timing, I would do BM only until 6 weeks, then start the bottles of formula. I'd introduce a bottle of BM around 3-4 weeks.

BFing doesn't have to be all or nothing, many women mix it up and do both with success.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagemadhatter2003:

Can you pump in your car?  Or is there something like a store room, etc?

That being said, if you do need to stop feeding during the daytime you can still BF part time.  It's completely do-able.  Just slowly introduce one bottle of formula during the daytime hours until you are using formula for day, and you can keep nursing in the morning and at night and probably even some on weekends during the day. If you pump right before you start work and right when you get done in your car or something you may even be able to only need to supplement a little.

As far as timing, I would do BM only until 6 weeks, then start the bottles of formula. I'd introduce a bottle of BM around 3-4 weeks.

BFing doesn't have to be all or nothing, many women mix it up and do both with success.

Pumping in my car isn't really feasible because (1) it is an outdoor parking lot and (2) Wisconsin winters make that less than an ideal situation. There is a small storage closet, but it's not big enough to set up a chair in there.  

DS 12.02.11

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's your decision about whether you want to do it or not, but if you really wanted to, I don't think that environment would make it impossible. It might be possible to pump in your car. With a nursing cover it can be private enough. I've had to do that. Or set up an area with a curtain. A lot of us don't have private rooms to pump in. In my current office I use a small space behind a curtain in the bathroom. In my last office I had to go to another building a short walk away. I've had to pump in an airport bathroom once. I stood up and didn't touch anything. You can make it work if you're really committed.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If I were in your shoes, I'd do bm entirely for at least 6 weeks.  I'd try to introduce a bottle around 3-4 weeks, probably of pumped milk.  I doubt that the transition to formula will be too difficult.  Most babies catch onto bottles fairly quickly once you go back to work and I haven't really heard of any babies refusing formula when that's all that was offered.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sometimes it just doesn't work out.  I tried and tried to make it work with DD1 and it stressed me out.  I have a very similar office setup to what you describe, and although I managed to use a small bathroom, it was far from ideal.  The second time around with DD2 I decided to quit before I returned to work and was happier.  

I definitely recommend giving a bottle around 4 weeks old.  You need to get your LO used to the bottle and formula before you go back to work, but still try to avoid nipple confusion early on.  

• I rather enjoyed my time pumping in the car.  I have pumped while driving and given the nursing cover, no one knew it.  I liked that I could read my book, get work done, listen to music, etc.  I am not sure if that is what you are looking for or if you were looking simply for support moving to formula.  I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.  You could always give it a try and then decide.  Will you give up nursing altogether or just during work?  I def would hate for you to miss out on the bond of nursing.  GL!
  • The other ladies have given you good advice. But, if pumping is something you want to do (not trying to make you feel like you have to do it), the car really can be a good option. I am in MN and pumped in my car frequently - even in winter. I have remote electric start and would start the car 5 minutes before going out to take the chill off. There are definitely ways to make it work (and not just the car solution) if it is something you later decide you want to pursue. And if not, that is fine too - you will know the right choice for you when the time comes.
  • If that is your plan I would start pumping the opposite site while LO eats at every feeding from day one. Vary sides and you should be able to build a neat stash. (I was able to have a 600 ounce freezer stash in about 6 weeks) In the meantime you don't have to STOP Bf'ing - you could BF in the morning and at night and maybe even sneak away once a day to pump in your car.( I sometimes hook up the pump while driving if I'm running late and it works just as well)

I currently pump in the Accounting Closet - and pumped in the Facilities Storage Room with DD1 until they created a pumping room because there suddenly was 4 of us.

Talk to HR and see if they CAN accommodate - they may not need to - but asking doesn't hurt! Also - realistically - you probably can get away with pumping 2x while you're gone...there has got to be a place.

I'm cheap - so that's my main motivation - BM is FREE...Formula starts costing you big time if you go full time... Best of luck either way!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I applaud you for being calm and matter of fact about the situation.

I can say one thing, we had only open conference space and one small single stall. DS refused formula once we left the hospital so I really was stuck. So I would sit in our open conference room and propped up a menu from a restaurant across the street as a 'privacy guard' my co workers  for the most part. became very good about respecting my need for privacy and quiet.

You may be surprised at how  accommodating  people can be. 

On the night you were born, the moon smiled with such wonder that the stars peeked in to see you and the night wind whispered,"life will never be the same" Image and video hosting by TinyPicalt="Lilypie 1st Birthday Pic" width="29" height="20" border="0" /> BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"