Stay at Home Moms

Washing fruit

Do you wash your fruit and veggies with something other than water?

My husband was getting an apple and washed it with hand soap before he ate it. Apparently he always does this and I have just never noticed in our two years of marriage...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Abigail (6.2010) and Evelyn (9.2011)

Re: Washing fruit

• I rinse them off with just water.

Hand soap, eww.  That is gross. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Nope, just water. I've never heard of anyone using soap before. I know they have a special spray some people use though. Maybe you could get him some?
    I am Turkey Lurkey... b/c it sounded better than Cocky-Locky.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageTurkey Lurkey:
    Nope, just water. I've never heard of anyone using soap before. I know they have a special spray some people use though. Maybe you could get him some?

If he is happy doing it then whatever! I did ask if he wanted me to run the grapes through the dishwasher to make sure each one got cleaned equally. Confused

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Abigail (6.2010) and Evelyn (9.2011)
  • I just use  water. SIL uses baking soda. But soap? Ick!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTurkey Lurkey:
    Nope, just water. I've never heard of anyone using soap before. I know they have a special spray some people use though. Maybe you could get him some?

I think you can just use diluted vinegar for the same purpose. You wash it off right after and you can't taste it.

• I use a little dish soap to wash apples, oranges, plums, etc.

Grapes, cherries, celery, carrots, etc. I just rinse, with a lot of water. 

It's not just dirt.  I also think about how many hands have touched that apple I'm about to bite into from the tree to the grocery store.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I use this.  Even on the organic produce that I buy (which is a lot).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"