Breastfeeding

Had to supplement last night...

LO nursed for quite some time last night but I didn't feel like he was getting much. (No milk face or spilling out). After nursing him, he was very cranky and fussy. He was still very hunger but getting very frustrated at my breasts. I had to supplement with 2 oz of formula and he was STILL hunger so he took another 1 1/2 oz of formula. This is the 2nd time he has had formula and will be 4 weeks sat. He slept 4 1/2 hours after the formula feeding!!! Makes me want to switch but I'm going to keep with the breastfeeding as long as I can!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

Re: Had to supplement last night...

• Depending on your long term goals, you might want to be careful about supplementing when LO seems fussy. The best way for your body to produce more milk to meet his demands is to have him on the breast.
  • imagelincolngirl:
    Depending on your long term goals, you might want to be careful about supplementing when LO seems fussy. The best way for your body to produce more milk to meet his demands is to have him on the breast.

He nursed for about 20-30 min and was VERY cranky. He wanted off but then still wanted to eat. Nothing was being produced at the time :( I'm going to try the Mother's Milk and oatmeal cookies starting today! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Loading the player...
  • Cute pic in your sig!

I actually agree with PP, keep him at the breast to help your body know to make more milk.  

My LO is 4.5 months old and still takes 30 minutes to nurse, but sometimes 25 minutes.  And she still eats every 2 hours!  When she was younger, it was over an hour per session.  It never felt like that long........but now that I know how quickly she can nurse now, I wonder how I ever sat there for that long! 

Keep up the good work!!  :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I see in your siggy that your LO is 3 weeks, which mean that it could be related to a growth spurt.  I also reccommend just keeping up on putting baby to breast...that's the only way you will make it through the growth spurt.  After a day or two, your LO will be back to normal.

Also, be sure to stay hydrated and fed!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Keep nursing and switching sides even if you have to do it for a few hours. The best way to tank your supply is to supplement rather than keep nursing. Nurse, nurse, nurse. Put away the formula!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• imagepepomntpat:
    Keep nursing and switching sides even if you have to do it for a few hours. The best way to tank your supply is to supplement rather than keep nursing. Nurse, nurse, nurse. Put away the formula!

Ditto. There were days when DS was little that all I did was sit on the couch and flip him back and forth between breasts.  Another then I can do with DS is pat his back as he is trying to eat. It will calm him down and help put him to sleep. 

• imageBeetleLinz1125:

I see in your siggy that your LO is 3 weeks, which mean that it could be related to a growth spurt.  I also reccommend just keeping up on putting baby to breast...that's the only way you will make it through the growth spurt.  After a day or two, your LO will be back to normal.

Also, be sure to stay hydrated and fed!

This!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• imagepepomntpat:
    Keep nursing and switching sides even if you have to do it for a few hours. The best way to tank your supply is to supplement rather than keep nursing. Nurse, nurse, nurse. Put away the formula!

And this!

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Yep, I remember when DS was 3 weeks exactly he wanted to eat and eat and we both ended up crying that night.  It was a rough night, but we made it through.  Those early growth spurts are the ones that really tell your body how much your baby needs, so the more you can keep LO on the breast, the better. 
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelincolngirl:
    Depending on your long term goals, you might want to be careful about supplementing when LO seems fussy. The best way for your body to produce more milk to meet his demands is to have him on the breast.

I agree. Also, when they go through a growth spurt, they will nurse more frequently and seem unsatisfied as well as cranky. You milk supply will adjust to LOs needs as long as you keep them at the breast. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"