Natural Birth
Options

Holy crap..article by henci goer

If you don't think people should use the term "birth rape", I think reading this will change your mind.

https://www.hencigoer.com/downloads/cruelty_maternity_wards.pdf

Re: Holy crap..article by henci goer

• Options
    Indifferent... Wow
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    This is a very good article and she makes excellent points.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, I had a hard time even getting through that. Those poor women.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This is why I teach Bradley Method classes.  I try to prepare my students by teaching informed consent, good communication with birth team and a knowledgeable & dedicated coach who can advocate for you.  It is sad that this still goes on in our country.  It is changing and getting better, but there is still a ways to go!
  • Options
    Yeah that is pretty much why I decided to have a home birth with my second.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've had some really unpleasant encounters with doctors and I hate to say I'm not at all surprised by what I read. There's one hospital in particular in my area that I've had some really bad experiences with. It blows my mind that anyone could be so cruel, so unprofessional, so flippant about the lives and health and dignity of others.

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    OMG ... Not done reading yet but those stories make want to cry and puke at the same time.
    Due 12/20/11 ~ Lost our Muskrat at 9w2d
    4/25/12 ~ Our angel, Persephone James, is here!

• Options
    I have no words...but I do feel physically sick now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

Wow, that article is painful to read. I know this is not typical of any hospital or doctor, but if you're the unlucky one to have an experience like that... I can't even imagine. 

And I can totally imagine, as a woman, not even fully comprehending the extent of your mistreatment at the time. I was very much mishandled by a midwife during my miscarriage, and while I think normally I would have been angry and responded decisively, I was so... out of it, exhausted, miserable and sad, I didn't react much at all.

BabyFruit Ticker

July 3rd, 2012 ~ Hang in there sweetheart, we can't wait to meet you!

• Options

I felt very much mistreated by my midwives during my first birth, and it's a huge part of why I decided on a home birth midwife with this pregnancy. 

My experience was nowhere near as abusive or traumatic as the stories in this article, but was really awful nonetheless.

At one point during transition the midwife yelled at me to "Shut up and stop complaining" because "this is the way you wanted it." She was referring to me going without the epi - but I was induced and NOTHING about my birth was the way I wanted it.  

I also asked to not have an IV inserted right away when we arrived at the hospital. I was being induced with Pitocin in the morning, and we had to be there the night before to start with a foley bulb. I asked if they would wait to insert the IV in the morning when they were ready to start the Pit because I have a mild sensory disorder, and the IV under my skin really really bothered me. I wanted to get a good night's sleep before starting with the Pit. The midwife told me that if I didn't get the IV I would have a seizure during the night and be brain dead before they could get one put in. She said "I have 28 years experience and you have no idea what you're talking about."

Those are just two of the things that come to mind. My husband and doula were furious with the way they treated us. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageelviebird:
    OMG ... Not done reading yet but those stories make want to cry and puke at the same time.

this.  Those poor women!  And these are just the ones who came forward...

• Options
    I love Henci Goer.  I wish more people had the opportunity to read her books and articles- no matter how difficult the content. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

odd you know... all the gals on this board reading it and posting replys.

I reposted it to the C-section board because I thought they might be interested and all I got was noisey crickets. not one reply post. hmmmmmm

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options
    It is sad and scary.
    imageimage
  • Options

It's all so horrifying. :( And what's a woman to do? Get up and walk out in active labor? Only to have CPS called or be committed? Just shameful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"