Parenting

Has anyone bought a brewmaking kit?

I was thinking of getting one for DH for Christmas. Wondered what the thoughts were on it
Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image

Re: Has anyone bought a brewmaking kit?

• My nephew is really into beer-making. He says the home beer kits aren't very good. Is there a "make your own" brewery near you?  My Dad and my nephew both use those and I sometimes get my Dad a GC for a batch of beer.
  • I bought one for DH several years ago for Valentine's Day and he LOVES it.  As a matter of fact, of the 7-8 guys we know who have becme home brewers, it has become an obsession for all of them.  DH has a good friend who lives down in Toledo and the two of them sound like little old ladies exchanging recipes on the phone.  If you would like, I can try to see what the good home brew stores are down your way.   The store owner could probably give you some good advice on what your DH really needs and give you some good starter recipes.

I know my DH only used his starter kit on 2 or 3 batches of beer, after that, he was hooked and he upgraded everything almost immediately.

• Loading the player...
  • image4Speedy:

I bought one for DH several years ago for Valentine's Day and he LOVES it.  As a matter of fact, of the 7-8 guys we know who have becme home brewers, it has become an obsession for all of them.  DH has a good friend who lives down in Toledo and the two of them sound like little old ladies exchanging recipes on the phone.  If you would like, I can try to see what the good home brew stores are down your way.   The store owner could probably give you some good advice on what your DH really needs and give you some good starter recipes.

I know my DH only used his starter kit on 2 or 3 batches of beer, after that, he was hooked and he upgraded everything almost immediately.

I would really appreciate it if you could... 

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • My guy bought himself one this summer and he loved it! We live two blocks from a home brewing supply store, though, and I think that helped him stay interested in it. If he ran out of bottle caps or hops or something he could take a short walk and get whatever he needed, or ask questions.

I hated the smell of the beer cooking in my kitchen, though! That may have been pregnancy related, however....

Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • I would buy one from a home brewing store (they come with all the equipment you will need) before buying from a "retail" store.  I bought DH one a few years ago and we brew 4-5 batches a year.  We have used the boxed kits, which have everything premeasured and we have made it with our own ingredients, both tasted great.
    Cheryl, Evan 4.25.05, Paige 7.2.07
  • I completely forgot we had one of these. It's been in our basement for a few years. I wonder if it's still good?

I am Turkey Lurkey... b/c it sounded better than Cocky-Locky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"