Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Is My Nightime Routine Destined For Failure?

I've been reading all the posts on the board about sleep training and putting babies down awake that I'm now worried my routine is wrong.  My LO is almost 4 months old, and is a very good sleeper.  My "method" is to swaddle him around 7 PM and nurse him with the lights off.  By 7:30 he ends up in deep sleep  and I put him down in his crib,  where he sleeps for the next 10-12 hours.  It's very easy right now, but am I setting myself up for failure by not putting him down awake?  If I try to put him down before he falls asleep, while he's still nursing, he acts like he's still hungry, but he always falls asleep once he finishes...  

And yes, I'm a FTM! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is My Nightime Routine Destined For Failure?

• If its working - don't fix it!!! Not all babies fit into one box! Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I wouldn't worry.  DS has always eaten before bed.  He used to fall asleep with the bottle and I would put him down asleep, the last month he has started staying awake durring it and while I burp him, so I put him down awake but very tired and he puts himself to sleep.  It was a natural transition for him that he did himself, and he has always slept great at night.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • my daughter eats right before bed also.  sometimes she's asleep when i put her in the bassinet, sometimes she's awake but drowsy.  i never thought about it as being problematic down the road, i would say just go with it.. you'll make any adjustments as you need to when baby gets older!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I agree with PP... my LO eats before bed also. I feed him in my bed with the lights off, and he has his bottle and usually falls asleep. I then transfer him to his crib, where i put him in his woombie, and shh him. Somes he fusses for a few minutes, and i give him a paci....And sometimes he fusses for 2 seconds to get comfortable, and is out.

If it aint broke, dont fix it....thats how i feel. When he gets older and that routine no longer works, we will tweak it. otherwise, LO is sleeping from about 10pm to 730am, so i'm pretty happy with that, not willing to change it if its working

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image. image. image
  • I do that too pretty much and I have a feeling that's how half the free world puts their kids to bed too. ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. If it works do it. I'd rather leave what works than try something new just because "I should" and have it all screwed up.

• Agree if it works dont change it! You one of the lucky ones that may not have to sleep train
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejmo866:
    If its working - don't fix it!!! Not all babies fit into one box! Smile
    I totally agree with this. With DD#1 we rocked her and gave her a bottle. It took us about an hour to get her to sleep. She went to sleep with as we were feeding her the bottle and once she was done we put her in her crib sleeping. After we dropped the bottle at 13 months we read a book and lay her down awake. She goes to sleep just fine herself. We are doing the same thing with DD#2. Not all babies are going to go to sleep when you lay them down. Like it has been said if it isn't broken don't fix it. If it works for you and baby then you are good to go IMO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"