October 2011 Moms

Is your baby sleeping in the crib yet?

If so, when did you transition them and how did it go?  If not, when do you plan to get them into the crib and how will you be attempting it?

Right now DD is sleeping in the swing at night, however, we don't turn the swing on (it's from when DS was a baby and doesn't swing properly anymore).  It's the FP Little Lamb swing with the papasan seat, so I think she likes the "cradled" feel of the seat.  During the day she naps when being held, the carseat when out of the house, or the bouncer (also a papasan seat).  We've tried putting her in the crib, but she freaks out a couple minutes after being laid down.  We've tried putting her in the bassinet in our room and even put a long pillow under the legs of the bassinet stand to create a slight incline (suggested by our pedi), however that didn't work either.   

DS was sleeping in his crib without any issues pretty much from the start, so this is throwing me for a loop.  Any advice or tips?  Considering we will be traveling out-of-town for Christmas, I'd love to have her sleeping in the crib at night by then, so we don't have to bring the swing with us.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is your baby sleeping in the crib yet?

• Nope haven't even attempted it yet lol I know I need to try to do it soon but the thought of it is daunting.  DS sleeps in his rnp next to me right now but I use the word "sleeps" loosely ;)
    ?DD 9/17/10 22wks I carry you in my heart.?
    bfp#2 2/14/11? cerclage placed at 13 weeks
    ?DS 9/29/11 36 wks 3 days 8lb 20 1/4" ?
    bfp#3 12/15/12 CP 12/27/12
    bfp#4 2/25/13
    beta#1 51 beta#2 163 beta#3 1,370
  • I could have written your post!  DS2 doesn't seem to like his crib (though I admit I haven't even tried to put him in it in weeks; he's been sleeping pretty well in the swing at night and I don't want to mess with it; I had to hold him all night for the first month, so even the swing is progress) and DS1 did well in his from day one, so I've been thrown for a loop, too.

Anyway, I've been thinking about this a lot today, mostly because DS2 starts daycare in about a month and he'll need to be able to sleep in a crib.  He seems to like that "cradled" feeling as well (fusses to be held all day long and takes some naps in his bouncer).  I'm thinking about getting this crib wedge (https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401848) since laying flat seems to be part of his problem.  I don't know.  I think I'm going to try naps in the crib first.  Swaddle and put him in there and see what happens.  Once we reach some success with naps, I'll work on nights in the crib.

GL to you!  Keep me posted!

• Loading the player...
  • Hey ladies, I dont have this problem but I remember seeing this the other day....maybe worth a try? hope it helps!! good luck :)

https://pregnant.thebump.com/baby-products/gifts-must-haves/articles/best-products-to-make-moms-lives-easier.aspx?page=10

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJustChan:

Hey ladies, I dont have this problem but I remember seeing this the other day....maybe worth a try? hope it helps!! good luck :)

https://pregnant.thebump.com/baby-products/gifts-must-haves/articles/best-products-to-make-moms-lives-easier.aspx?page=10

These are a definite no-no, especially in the crib for sleeping.  A girl from my h.s. used this in the crib with her LO, and the baby moved and became wedged between the Nap Nanny and the crib side and suffocated.  Tragic.

• imagemrs.lizzieb:
    imageJustChan:

Hey ladies, I dont have this problem but I remember seeing this the other day....maybe worth a try? hope it helps!! good luck :)

These are a definite no-no, especially in the crib for sleeping.  A girl from my h.s. used this in the crib with her LO, and the baby moved and became wedged between the Nap Nanny and the crib side and suffocated.  Tragic.

Oh my goodness! Thats terrible. Like I said I hadnt done any research on this...thank you for bringing that to our attention.

BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We started just over the weekend but transitioned from a basinet which is a similar position. Before making the switch, I had been putting DD in the crib during her awake time and let her look at her mobile, just to familiarize. We usually rock to sleep (although we're working toward "drowsy but awake") so on the first night I just laid her down in the crib instead of the basinet. She woke up fussing a few times but went back down after only a few minutes of soothing. I would say that the best thing you can do is pick an evening after you've had a good day and just give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised! I've been reading 'the sleep lady's goodnight, sleep tight' - she has a outine for sleep training intended for 4-6 mo old babies but more importantly, there are good suggestions for encouraging good sleep habits at every age. So far I've found the advice in this book to be more helpful/applicable than some of the other books I've read on sleep habits.
  • We put him in it the first night back from a weekend away when he was maybe a bit mixed up already. He was five weeks and it went just fine. He had been sleeping in a vibrating chair (the incline helped his gas) in our room. I think we were lucky for sure! We did/do use a crib wedge to help with the incline.
  • We're working on getting her out of our bed and into the bassinet right now.  Our bedroom is on the first floor and her bedroom is on the second floor, so we probably won't put her in the crib until she is sleeping a little more through the night (even just waking up once) so I'm not going up and down the stairs all night.  Plus I'm still a little nervous about having her that far away at night.  

Right now we have rolled up towels under one end of the bassinet mattress to put it on an incline. Since she's not rolling yet and we put her down swaddled, we also have rolled up towels on either side of her to recreate the feeling of being held (so the bassinet doesn't seem so big and scary for her.  Of course once she starts to roll or go in unswaddled we'll remove all that).  It seemed to work- we were able to move her from sleeping ON us to sleeping for small stretches in the bassinet.  She would usually go down in there okay for the first stretch, but then I'd have to put her in bed with us once she woke up in the night to eat.  Last night was a victory- after she ate around 3:30 am I was able to get her back to sleep in the bassinet.  It took a while- I kept my hand on her belly and patted/shushed her for what seemed like a good long time.  I also put on the sleep sheep for some white noise.  After a while I could see her eyes closing.  Even though she still grunted and wiggled, she did put herself to sleep and stayed there until 8am.  Whoo-hoo!!!  Baby steps, but I'm going to try it again tonight and see if the same thing happens.  

My next step is trying to nap her in the bassinet as well.  She currently naps in her swing.  I haven't wanted to mess with moving her yet since she's a hot mess if she doesn't get a good nap.   Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We moved DS to his crib when he was about 3 1/2 weeks.  We didn't do anything special and it went smoothly.  He sleeps much better at night now and so do I.  I think DH's snoring affected his sleep.
    Married 08.19.06 ~ DS 9.30.11 ~ Baby #2 EDD 11.28.18

• I love having her in our room. I'm considering buying a cosleeper because she's about to outgrow the bassinet.  I can't imagine having her so far away from me!  I want her even closer. I've brought her into the bed a couple times when she's really fussy and she just calms so easily. It's so much easier for BFing to have her right there, so I don't see us using our (wonderful, beautiful, adorable) crib any time soon!
  • I started putting my ds in his crib when he was about 4 weeks old. He never liked his bassinet so during the day he slept in his bouncy chair and with us at night. I couldn't sleep very well with him in bed with me and I think he was waking up more to eat then necessary because I was right there. I started by putting him in his crib for some naps and I would rock or nurse him to sleep. I would put him in his crib for the first half of the night, and then I slowly started to put him in his crib for more of his sleep. After he got use to sleeping in the crib, I stopped rocking and nursing him to sleep and now put him down when he is drowsy. I try and make sure now whenever he's sleeping to put him in his crib. I also use a white noise machine, which seems to help. I also have to say that I didn't transition him to the crib until his gas stopped being so bad at night.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Has been at night since day 1 (I've been sleeping in his room though, makes night feeeding a lot easier; DH works a ton and this is better for us). Only recently have I been trying to get some naps in there too. 

Is there a nap or time of day when he goes down really easily? I'd probably start putting him in the crib for that and see how he takes to it. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• not his crib, but he sleeps in his pnp very well.  I made the mistake of letting jack dictate where he would sleep (our arms) when he was a newborn, and it took 7 months to get him to then sleep in his own bed.  I would recommend swaddling (if you dont already) and consistently trying to lay your LO down.  Im not trying to criticize you, and Im sorry if it comes off that way, but seriously...it was SO HARD getting DS1 to sleep on his own later, I wish I had tried harder when he was younger.
  • Ha! nooo.. He just went into his nursery for the first time yesterday so I could sort through his newborn clothes.  He will be 2 months on Monday and finally growing out of them.  I put him in the crib to hang out while I poked around and it was wild seeing him in there; he is so tiny! We bed share, have from day day one, so he is accustom to laying flat, I just can't imagine having him that far away!  He sleeps great with us, one 7 hour stretch and then 2 two hour.  He is only up for max 15 min a time: 10-12 to nurse and then a quick burp and back to sleep.  
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just transitioned to cribs this week. So far so good. I wasn't planning on doing it just yet, but they seemed ready and they both don't fit in one pack n play anymore and there isn't room for 2 in our bedroom (where they were previously sleeping)

We started being good about sticking with our bedtime routine and doing it at the same time every night about 2 weeks ago. Once we all got the hang of that and they were sleeping well (DS 8pm - 11pm, 11:30pm - 5:00pm, 5:00pm - 8:00pm & DD 8pm - 11pm, 11:30pm - 3:00am, 3:00am - 6:00am) we moved them to their cribs. 

It's only been 3 nights, but so far so good. They go down fairly easily (DS is a little more difficult than DD, but he's getting better) and they are both sleeping well. DD has actually extended her 3.5 hour stretch to 5+ hours - I think she likes her crib.

I have mixed feelings about it. I'm so happy it's going well, but a little sad that they are growing so fast. I want them to be tiny for just a little longer!

• Yes!  We transitioned her when she was about 2-3 weeks old.  It went pretty well, but took a lot of work.  I don't believe in letting a baby CIO, but I also feel like there's a difference between letting your LO cry and letting your LO fuss.  When she fusses, we would go in and soothe her without picking her up, as many times as it took, until she fell asleep.  There was a lot of up and down off of the couch to try to get her to sleep in there!  But now she's a champ!!  She STTN in her crib, and most naps are in her crib unless we're out and about running errands or I just feel like letting her sleep on my chest. Smile
    BFP#1 1/31/11 ~ CK came on her due date, 10/10/11!
    BFP#2 11/20/12, EDD 7/30/13 ~ heard heartbeat at 6w2d ~ mmc discovered at 8w
    1st medicated cycle ~ 6/11/13 ~ Clomid ~ BFN
    2nd medicated cycle ~ 7/12/13 ~ Clomid and trigger shot ~ BFN
    SHG on 8/13/13 ~ uterus looked good!
    Diagnosed with DOR on 8/16/13 ~ AMH 0.27 ~ repeat AMH 0.19
    3rd medicated cycle ~ 8/9/13 ~ Femara and trigger shot ~ BFN
    4th medicated cycle ~ 9/4/13 ~ Bravelle, trigger shot, IUI ~ BFP! ~ EDD: 6/11/14 ~ heartbeat of 118 at 6w3d ~ mmc discovered at 9w1d
  • nope.  she sleeps from 9-5 in the rnp and i don't want to mess w/ that yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 8.15.07 NATHAN 6.13.09 - 6.14.09 WYATT born 32w3d Gone too soon, RIP. 4.21.10 BFP - missed m/c - D&C on 5.27.10. 1.31.11 BFP - 1st cycle IUI + Follistim + Trigger (2 mature follies)Beta 1 @ 13dpiui: 199 Beta 2 @ 15dpiui: 527 10.7.11 ELIANA(Ellie)ROSE (39w3d)Team Green turned Team Pink - VBAC & ALL NATURAL 6lbs 11oz 19 &1/2in
  • In his crib from night one.  Not that he is sleeping well right now...but we are getting there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS slept in a pnp in our room til he was almost 1.  With bf and working full time, he nursed at night at least once until then so it was so much easier for me to have him close.  

The plan is to do the same with DD. we transitioned her from a Moses basket to the pnp last week and she is sleeping great.  Most nights, she sleeps for a 6-7 hour stretch then one or two more 2-3 hour stretches.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"