Preemies

Idea for preemie blog

Can we add a section/article about keeping mementos from the NICU?

I remember that the day after Owen was born our Nurse was changing Owen's hospital bracelet from the handwritten one from the operating room to the official typed up one and she asked if we wanted to keep it.  I replied "no," because at that time it didn't mean anything to me.  She kept it anyways, and made a note on his chart and by his bed to keep all the "mementos" for DH and I.  I am so glad she did!  Over time we collected his various ID bracelets, his measuring tape, a set of leads, his first had, his umbilical cord clamp, his incubator and bassinet ID plate, his room name plate, some handwritten "milestone" notes that the nurses wrote and put on his bulletin board.  The most precious thing that our primary swiped for us was the blanket that we first did kangaroo care in when he was 5 days old.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Idea for preemie blog

• That's awesome! Do you want to write a post about this? Maybe send some pictures too? What thoughtful nurses!
  • Sure!  I'll work on it tomorrow and let you know when I've finished it and I'll send it to you.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • That's awesome! I still kick myself for not saving a diaper. I even thought of it at the time, "You should save one of these so you remember how little they were." Then I thought, "Nahh, it's just another piece of clutter, plus how can I forget? I've used them so many times." Now I hold his NB diapers and think about how I can't remember how little his others were. DOH.
  • imageurbanflowerpot:
    That's awesome! I still kick myself for not saving a diaper. I even thought of it at the time, "You should save one of these so you remember how little they were." Then I thought, "Nahh, it's just another piece of clutter, plus how can I forget? I've used them so many times." Now I hold his NB diapers and think about how I can't remember how little his others were. DOH.

OMG I was just looking at one of the diapers the other day, it must be the like micro preemie size.  I think it could barely fit over one of their butt cheeks now!  Oh I also kept the itty bitty first pacifier. The OT said it was especially for babies less than 1000 grams. It's called a "Wee Thumbie" - so cute!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"