Working Moms
Options

Sometimes I hate being a working mom...EBF/Supplementing

So my LO has been increasingly fussy and sleeping like crap since I went back to work...I think I've found the root of my problem.  Since I started back to work, I've been pumping like a mad woman but I am just not keeping up with his demand.  When again tonight I couldn't get him to sleep, I caved and made him a bottle of formula.  He had never tried it before, and yet he sucked back 4 ounces, after I had nursed him off both breasts.

I cried the whole time I gave him the bottle (I know formula is not poison, and I've made it 18 weeks EBFing him) but it just made me sad.  I am planning to continue pumping and give him 1-2 bottles a day to supplement, I just wish it could have worked out to EBF him as long as I would have liked.

Anyone else had to supplement due to supply issues after going back to work?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Sometimes I hate being a working mom...EBF/Supplementing

• Options

I just want to offer support. At least you made it 18 weeks...I made is 3. I wasn't producing enough to make Ed gain weight so I had to supplement starting at one month. You should be proud of how long you were able to EBF. :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

I haven't had to supplement yet, but I can attest to pumping being a total mindscrew.  I pump 4x / day at work, and, when my son was taking his maximum milk intake, I'd pump at night after he went to bed and twice each weekend day.  I was doing that just to keep up.

That being said, I think I was causing a ton of unnecessary stress for myself.  I shouldn't have been so stubborn about giving formula if that would have made things a little easier.  Lots of people have to supplement.  LOTS.  You're doing a great job giving him even some breastmilk.

A lot of women have a dip in supply after they go back to work, and then it increases again after a couple of weeks.   Can you pump more often at work?  In the evenings?  On the weekend?  That might help bump up your supply again.

Good luck, and great job! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My supply tanked after going back to work - and getting my first PPAF at the same time. I started to supplement also, I EPed for 7 months and I know how you feel.  I really had my heart set on EBF for the first year but I simply couldnt keep up with her demand and even though I was pumping my brains out my supply kept dwindling. The only thing I didnt try were the medications. Dont be so hard on yourself. I cried too when I gave my first formula bottle to DD - actually had to have DH do it because I couldnt do that first one - and there isnt anything wrong with formula. You have made a fantastic effort to give your LO as much as you have. And giving some BM daily is great. I still give DD her BM first bottle of the morning, but my stash is running very low - I stopped pumping completely but if you can still provide some BM keep trying -
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

You're doing a great job.  There is nothing wrong with supplementing.  Although he could be going through a growth spurt, and nursing like crazy to increase your supply.

Anyway, yes, I had to supplement.  I felt bad about supplementing, but I talked to all the working/BFing moms I knew, and most of them had supplemented, too.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

I think BFing moms get caught up in the stress of the *exclusive* part of EBFing.  Supplementing isn't a bad thing, and you're still doing great if your LO is still getting BM. 

Have you checked out kellymom.com for tips to help you increase your supply and get more from pumping?  I had to work hard when DD was 4-6 months to keep up with her demand, but finally seemed to hit my stride by 6 months. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    imageSushiNoMore:

I haven't had to supplement yet, but I can attest to pumping being a total mindscrew.  I pump 4x / day at work, and, when my son was taking his maximum milk intake, I'd pump at night after he went to bed and twice each weekend day.  I was doing that just to keep up.

That being said, I think I was causing a ton of unnecessary stress for myself.  I shouldn't have been so stubborn about giving formula if that would have made things a little easier.  Lots of people have to supplement.  LOTS.  You're doing a great job giving him even some breastmilk.

A lot of women have a dip in supply after they go back to work, and then it increases again after a couple of weeks.   Can you pump more often at work?  In the evenings?  On the weekend?  That might help bump up your supply again.

Good luck, and great job! 

This exactly happened to me.  The first 2 weeks, my supply dipped and I was having a hard time keeping up.  Then suddenly last week, it jumped and I was producing more than she eats (usually by about 1.5 oz but still). 

You did good - I was formula fed and I think I turned out ok.  But from one WM to another, it is tough!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSushiNoMore:

Exactly this.  I didn't supplement with DS, but I spent so much mental energy worrying about it and trying to pump that I wish I would have just relaxed.  In retrospect, it is not that big of a deal.  You're still doing great by providing bm, even if it's not exclusive.  Plus, a happy and more relaxed mom is a better mom!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"