December 2010 Moms
Options

NBR: Have you ever had a UTI?

I have to call the doctor... I think I have one. If you've had one while you were BFing, were you still able to BF even if you were on antibiotics?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: NBR: Have you ever had a UTI?

• Options

oh they SUCK!  Thankfully I didn't get one while BF'ing.  You can go get an AZO test strip from the drug store and test it.

If it burns like hell when you pee, you have one.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers We're Finally Three

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Cassie has read 1 books toward her goal of 50 books.
    hide
  • Options
    yeah I've had them before, sometimes I have symptoms (burning when peeing, frequently having to pee) sometimes I don't.  Anyways, they have antibiotics that you can take safely while breastfeeding or pregnant.  Better to catch it early!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes and they are horrible. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I'll have to look into the strip so I don't have to pay the doctor $20 just so I can pee into a cup at his office.

Also... it doesn't burn, but I do get really bad lower abdominal pains, and there are some other symptoms which lead me to believe that's what it is. :(

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

I once came down with one on a Saturday morning, and since I wasn't paying $$$ to an urgent care or ER for that I decided to wait.  I double fisted cranberry juice, water, and craisens.  When I got to the doctor I was told that I still had the reminants of an infection but that it was very mild (and I felt almost better too after the first 12 hours) and I got a lesser does of antibiotics.

I'm not suggesting not going to the doctor, but if you can tolerate the taste, cranberries can make a big difference and may help you heal quicker.

image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Options

yuck, yes, I have had a number of these, and I had one while BFing. I BFed through the antibiotics. Annoyingly, they gave me a really weak course at first because I was BFing. It didn't kill it, I got a kidney infection, and then had to have a really aggressive course anyway. And then I got thrush from the antibiotics. (FYI -- definitely take probiotics with your antibiotics, cut out sweets, cut out wheat, and air out your nips when you can to avoid thrush. Do whatever else is suggested (olive oil baths to nips?) because I had it for 2 months! Don't get it!)

ETA: yes, cranberry juice (esp pure) will help you with the symptoms but you still need to go to the doc to get the antibiotics. I also bought cranberry pills to get it more concentrated than the juice, which has unnecessary sugar, etc. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Went to the doctor today, and he confirmed that it's a UTI. It was pretty funny... He was 50 minutes late and walked in and asked, "So what brings you in today?" I told him I thought I had a UTI and he said "Oh yeah, you do. It's a pretty good one. I just looked, and it's full of bad stuff." Awesome.

Plus, I had bought AZO to help with the pain, so my pee was orange. Kind of weird, but I'm sure they've seen grosser things.

So I have a new question. I'm on antibiotics and the infection should hopefully be gone by the weekend, but does the pain stick around until the infection is gone? Or in your experiences, does the pain start to be less noticeable when you start taking antibiotics?

The best part of this whole thing is that my doctor is a guy who used to go to our church, and I had a huge crush on his son when I was in middle school. And now this guy is telling me to "urinate after sexual intercourse." Oh, I love growing up.

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"