LGBT Parenting

What to call my Dad and his partner???

Hello. This is the first time I have visited this board but I wanted to get your opinion. My dad and mom divorced when I was 4 and he "came out" to me when I was 21 or so. He does not live close to me but we talk on the phone about once a week. He has been with his partner for 20 + years and I love them both dearly but not sure what to have my son call them??

Any suggestions??

Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What to call my Dad and his partner???

• Ask what they would like to be called? I asked my parents when I was pregnant to think of what they wanted the kids to call them and they came up with what worked best for them. Or if you have siblings who already have kids, what do they call them? My ILs were already named because our kids were grandchildren #9 and #10 so it was pretty set in stone.

If you don't want to give them choices think about what you would want your son to call them. Grandpa and Grandad? Grandpa and (first name of his partner)?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'd just ask them what they would like to be called.

• Loading the player...
  • Yup. What they said.  Just ask.  They will probably appreciate you thinking about it and including them in the decision. It's no different than me asking my heterosexual parents if they want to be pops, grandpa, gram, grandma, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"