Blended Families

NBFR - WWYD?

Okay this could happen in any family setting.

SD is in High School and just HAD to have an iphone 4S, which her mother bought her.  FINE.

Last week, according to her it was stolen at homeroom from her backpack.  Another student annonymously reported it to the school office.  The thief withdrew from school that very evening.    Weird right????  apparently the plot thickens.  She was "new" at school and then she steals a phone and then withdraws from school???  Can a student withdraw themselves from school or do you need a parent?  The school police made a report and was going to notify SD of any information. 

The police tracked down the thief at home and she says she "found" the phone and that she sold it.  The father of the thief offered to pay for the phone in exchange for SD not pressing charges.  The police also tracked the phone down to Chicago.  What??????  Apparently it had exchanged hands 6 times - how do they know this????

So the police gave DH the thief's father's phone number.  DH spoke with the guy and he seemed "scared" and wanted to meet DH and pay for the phone.  I told DH that he shouldn't meet some random guy to get this money back.  I told him to see if the guy could drop it off at the police station or something.

What would you do????  This sounds awfully shady????

Re: NBFR - WWYD?

• and this is why you should not take an iphone to school! Reminds me of the time I took my she-ra to school and someone cut her hair off when I wasnt looking. lol.

Yeah, I would have your DH meet this guy at a public place or something, police station...whatever. I imagine he is just a nervous father. So weird!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not meet this guy in person, give him my full name, or address.  The whole situation sounds strange.  I'd want to give the dad the benefit of the doubt that he's a good person, but there's no reason not to be cautious.

It's crazy that the girl is so well connected she was able to get the phone to Chicago in a couple of days.

Is she over 16?  She can drop out at that age, right?

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJ&A2008:

I would not meet this guy in person, give him my full name, or address.  The whole situation sounds strange.  I'd want to give the dad the benefit of the doubt that he's a good person, but there's no reason not to be cautious.

It's crazy that the girl is so well connected she was able to get the phone to Chicago in a couple of days.

Is she over 16?  She can drop out at that age, right?

EXACTLY!   

• I think the public meeting place is a good idea. 

He could be nervous because he doesn't want his daughter to be charged with a criminal offence and would like to clear it up as soon as possible to avoid any further repercusions.

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Meet at the bank so he can deposit the money right away, and banks are pretty safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"