LGBT Parenting

is it just me... anyone in health care?

I started my Phlebotomy roatation at a Hospital that is about 40 min away and I am doing 3 12's - eek ... Melanie is home with the girls.  The first week went well as family was still here from Thanksgiving but this weekend she is solo.  I feel so badfor going I missed her b day (yesterday ) I mean I got her a gift and card and the girls gave her a cozy robe to wear so she does not freeze her milk jugs in the am when she pumps... hahah ( side vent  there are no cards for a mom from her YOUNG very YOUNG daughter they are all like from grown children whats the deal)

and back to the subject ... so I have been gone for 3 days ( kind of ) leave at 930am and get home at 11pm  but the girls seem to maybe forgotten me ( could just be me )  and they changed so so so so so so much  in just 3 days its killing me ....

also now that i am actively working in a hospital with really sick sick sick people - i am freaking out that i might bring something home .. rsv, mersa what the F...i have a crazy decontamination ritual ( im a lil ocd anyhow so this is just pushing me back)  but i do not wear my shoes in the house and I take my scrubs off and doused with lysol and then washed and shower then say hello to everyone

is it just me ?

- J

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/

Re: is it just me... anyone in health care?

• No, it's not just you! lol  T and I are both nurses in the hospital, and when you see everything that you could get and bring home (i.e. C-diff), you start to get very paranoid!  You are supposed to "foam in and foam out" of every patient room... I don't know how T does it, but I have heard people tease her on several occasions that she has OCD with the hand foam. :) Better safe than sorry!  I wonder if the scrub routine is similar for everyone in the health care field? lol

I don't know if you will get to work 12's when you are done training, but if you do, it is kinda nice because you get to have more days off work!  Then maybe you will be able to see your kids more? GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • With the proper precautions, you should be fine.  DW also works somewhere with lots of nasty illnesses and has managed not to bring anything home so far. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've worked in hospitals for over 15y. One thing that I have found is that you get more or less immune to the various illnesses going around (well, after the inital period of time when you get everything!) Aside from an occassional cold here or there, I rarely get sick. I was just saying to L this weekend that I am the only member of our family who's never been a patient at the urgent care clinic across from our house and I think the last time I was on antibiotics when I was given them preventatively post c-section....and I am definitely not germ-phobic (of course I wash my hands and use the foam, but not obsessively.) And my kids (knock on wood) are less sick than a lot of kids I know - so I don't think I bring it home to them.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Thanks all .. a breath of freash air ( WAIT I NEED A MASK ) hahaha

I am a serious foamer... in out and just because sometimes  my trianer rarely foams it drives me nuts and he sometimes forgets to use gloves EEEW...and scary not to mention he is a fisher for veins and will use his thumb on top of the vein to reposition and I just turn my head a way cuz I am so freaked that the needle will just poke right in to his thumb ... 

eek.... i ask myself why is this guy my trainer he is actually very good and knowledgeable but  I hope I NEVER get that comfortable with the job. 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/
  • image2moms2twins:

my trianer rarely foams it drives me nuts and he sometimes forgets to use gloves EEEW...and scary not to mention he is a fisher for veins and will use his thumb on top of the vein to reposition and I just turn my head a way cuz I am so freaked that the needle will just poke right in to his thumb ... 

GROSS.  

I would never allow that as a pt. and it sounds like other staff should report it also (prolly not your place as a student tho).  Ppl need to wear gloves with exposure or potential exposure to blood, & the needle thing is disturbing.  If he pokes himself he puts himself and the pt at risk all, for being careless. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"