Northern California Babies

how to choose a daycare

Hi Ladies - how did you choose a daycare for your child?  Our baby is due in July, and we live in Alameda.  I don't even know where to start.  Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

BFP #1: 10.28.11 - Natural M/C: 12.9.11 @9w3d
BFP #2: 1.30.12 - missed m/c found on 2.27.12 - D&C 3.1.12 @8w 
BFP #3: 1.02.13 / EDD 8.31.13 / It's a boy!  - Baby Henry born 8.14.13
BFP #4: 9.28.14 / EDD 5.27.15 / It's a girl! 

Re: how to choose a daycare

• First, I think you need to decide if you want to go with an in-home daycare or with a daycare center.  Then you can start looking for providers and asking around.  The childcare council for Alameda County (https://www.4c-alameda.org/) should be a good resource (at least the one for Santa Clara County was).  Then you can start calling around to see if they have availability for when you are anticipating that you'll need care and start scheduling tours.

We decided to go with a daycare center.  It's typically more expensive than an in-home daycare, but I like that we almost never have to find alternate care due to the provider being sick or on vacation and that they have extended hours (not that DS is there from open to close, but if I need to drop him off early or pick him up late, I can).   

Good luck, and Congratulations!  My DS2 was born in July! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • First you need to think about your nonnegotiables - do you need a place with flexible times, that allows part-time, that is comfortable using breast milk, that will allow special diapers, that's within a certain price point...what is most important for your family?

Once you have this list, I would start calling around for places with availability. Do you know any other parents? Do they have recommendations, or friends who can recommend? The internet also makes searching places easy. You can probably rule a few places out just by that first phone call.

This book has a nice list of questions to ask providers, and tips for looking into places. Though, you an also find good lists of questions just through Google.  https://www.amazon.com/Nursing-Mother-Working-Revised/dp/1558323317

I had thought I wanted to go with a center, but after touring a few decided on an in-home. I would tour a few places, and see how you feel when you walk in the door. Even if you think you want a center, I would visit an in-home or two, and vise versa. Also, ask for phone numbers of other parents you can talk with about their experiences.  

Congratulations! And, good luck searching! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • These are awesome tips - thank you so much!!   The thought of having to think about daycare before the baby is even born is so totally overwhelming.  This gives me a great place to start!
    BFP #1: 10.28.11 - Natural M/C: 12.9.11 @9w3d
    BFP #2: 1.30.12 - missed m/c found on 2.27.12 - D&C 3.1.12 @8w 
    BFP #3: 1.02.13 / EDD 8.31.13 / It's a boy!  - Baby Henry born 8.14.13
    BFP #4: 9.28.14 / EDD 5.27.15 / It's a girl! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"