September 2011 Moms
Options

how long to finish bottle?

lo will go to daycare in a few weeks. she has been fighting bottles (drop ins) this past week. She will take her time drinking it (30-40 minutes).

how long should lo be taking to eat a bottle?

DS 7/6/09
DD 9/4/11
EDD 9/1/15

Re: how long to finish bottle?

• Options

We have the opposite problem. Our lo will chug a bottle in about five minutes. We actually try to slow her down so she has time to feel full.

Have you tried different bottles or nipples? Since she is so slow, you could try a faster flow nipple and see if that works.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    DD was taking 30 mins to eat 6 oz with a level one nipple.  We moved up to a level two nipple (once I consulted the pedi), and she is now taking 10-15 minutes.  So much nicer for me.  And she hasn't had any issue at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't mean to hijack,but I have had some similar questions...

How do you know when to move up to a level 2?

My LO eats the bottle slowly too, but I also breastfeed, so I thought it was a good thing to make him work a little harder at the bottle so he isn't a lazy nurser, is that true or could I move up to level 2?

He also has reflux, so is the slower bottle better for that also?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMsCrispy:

We have the opposite problem. Our lo will chug a bottle in about five minutes. We actually try to slow her down so she has time to feel full.

Have you tried different bottles or nipples? Since she is so slow, you could try a faster flow nipple and see if that works.

This for me too.  I would also suggest a different nipple.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Baby BROTHER is on the way! ~ EDD 6/12/2015
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    If LO is hungry enough she'll finish 2oz in 10 minutes. If she's not hungry or just on the brink she'll take her sweet time and that means 30 mins or more with a whole lot of burping and breaks in between. When I notice she's not that hungry I distract her until she's hungry enough. LO rarely takes bottles, too. I make her take one bottle a day so that she'll get used to it by the time I go back to work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We had issues a couple weeks back where the slow flow nipple (for the drop-ins) took waaaay too long for her to eat (sometimes close to an hour for 5 oz!), but the medium flow nipples were way too fast. She would choke a little and make a big huge mess, so she wasn't really getting all 5 oz. We ended up actually using a regular bottle (Parent's Choice brand) with a nipple from the Similac ready-to-eat 2 oz bottles. It was the perfect flow in between the slow and medium flow drop-in nipples. I just started trying the medium flow nipples again the last couple of days and she is doing great with them!

ETA: She is now taking only 15-20 minutes to finish 4-5 oz with the medium flow nipples

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"