Single Parents

Advice for single parents with 2u2?

Hi, I posted the below on the Two Under Two and Special Needs boards but also wanted to see if you all would have words of wisdom for our teens. -

Hi Ladies,

Beyond spending time on thebump for my own journey on ttc, I have found these boards to be a great place to get thoughts and advice to use for work.  I am a social worker for pregnant and parenting teens in foster care.  Every week I run a support group for our parenting teens and we have a handful who will be/already have 2u2 and asked for us to focus on that experience this week.  I have read through a couple of posts on this board and it seems like you all have great advice to share.  What would you like a single mom of 2u2 to know?  How to prepare?  Books to read?  Etc.?  Generally, we work with our teens on creating consistency in the daily routine and trying to have bath time/feeding time be enjoyable and bonding times.
BFP #1 on 10/2/11 - Bambishka's EDD 6/5/12, Blighted Ovum, D&C on 11/9/11
BFP #2 on 2/10/12 - Little Nugget's EDD 10/23/12, Natural Miscarriage on 2/29/12
BFP #3 on 6/7/12 - BB's EDD 2/19/13, arrived 2/18/13! <3<BR> Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice for single parents with 2u2?

• My situation is a little different but I've definitely had  to handle 2 (or more likely 3) under 2 by myself. I had to develop a strict budget and a routine. Without a routine I would be SO lost. You find what works and go with it. You also learn which kid needs something "more". It sounds bad but you have to prioritize. You also have to know when to ask for help. 

I also have to look at things on a weekly basis. I do all my grocery shopping when I can either just have DS with me or preferably by myself (because I have yet to master grocery shopping with 3 toddlers and no help). I have to have easy dinners for the entire week or I end up binging on junk food and having cranky toddlers. I try to do a load of laundry every other day so I don't end up with a massive quantity at the end of the week.

I make a point to spend one on one time with each kid so they know they are special and we can bond more. Sometimes it's hard because really there are a lot of toddlers at my house. lol. But I do it because it's what they need.  Usually that happens once a week or 10 days.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"