Success after IF
Options

Another "Smocking" question.....

So....I am late to all of this because I have not been on this weekend.

I am from the Midwest and no one I know buys smocked stuff......but I was reading through the posts and someone said that her DD is the only one not in smocked dressed at SCHOOL???

Do kids really wear these smocked outfits to school?????

I cannot imagine that! They seem so dressy!

My kids get filthy at school. The teachers even ask that you don't dress kids up, put them in nice clothes, etc.

Trust me......we are at a school where girls wear Juicy at 2 years and kids are dressed very nicely, but not in formal wear.

I guess what I'm saying is that I can't imagine sending my kids to school in clothes that are as dressy/expensive as the smocked stuff.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Another "Smocking" question.....

• Options
    Lots of girls in DS's class wear smocked (and monogrammed) dresses a lot.  I'd say the majority of girls are in smocked dresses at least a quarter of the time.  The girls who wear them are mostly 4-6 yrs old so they probably don't get as dirty as, say, a two yr old.  
  • Options
    lol...yes that was me that said that. My dh didn't believe me when I told him that until he saw it for himself!  He usually is able to come  w/ me on Fri afternoons to pick them up and now he will go, "did you see this or that boy in the class with smocked on?"  And I feel the same way as I can't imagine sending them to school like that b/c the clothes can get ruined from playing, art, etc.  And our school asks the same as not to send them in dressy etc but it amazes me still that some do...every day:)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Kate wears smocked clothes 4 or 5 times a week.  If/ when she starts school/ MDO she will wear them there too.

I guess it's all dependent on your area but I see nothing wrong with smocked clothes to school.  I also don't think of it as formal wear seeing as it is every day wear in our house.  I think of most smocked things as the same as a monogrammed bloomer/shorts set.  Granted, we do have more formal smocked clothes (silk, more traditional, etc) that are for things like Christmas and such but, for the most part, it is our every day gear.

It will be the same for Will.  He will be in smocked/ monogrammed/ appliqued bubbles, jon jons, rompers, and longalls on a regular basis for at least 12-18 months (after 18 months I think it is too "baby" for a boy).

• Options

I would NEVER send Caroline to school in any of her smocked outfits, unless maybe it was picture day, and probably not even then.  She gets so dirty, and I don't want anything to get ruined.  The playground is no place for her best dresses, IMO.

We buy smocked things for both kids, but I only let them wear them for pictures, church, etc.

Our every day wear is Carters, Target, etc.

• Options

DD is still young and just goes to daycare, not "school school" and she doesn't wear her smocked stuff to school, but she does wear her monogrammed stuff to school- most of it is knit- like dresses and pants with matching tops  or leggins and tunics that just happen to have her monogram on them. Once she is in like 1st grade I will put her in smocked stuff- gotta have the school themed smocked stuff for school, espically the first day!

No on here in Vegas wears the smocked stuff- and people are always stopping me asking me where I got it and same with her monogrammed stuff- because they love it- and it's not big here so you don't see it, but when we are back home (in SC) she is the norm in her smocked dresses. We are planning on moving to NC in the next 6-9 months- so it will be the norm to wear smocked stuff to school, so I don't expect her to be the odd ball when we move.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have a pair of Sam's pants (Old Navy Courdoroy pants) in the sink soaking right now because they are covered in paint/marker/crayon/food from ONE DAY.  No way I would send him to DC in anything that I paid full price for :)  It was all fine and dandy until he started walking - and then, forget about it.  Between puddle jumping, "art" and food, his clothing is pretty trashed by the time he outgrows it. 

I don't really have a feeling one way or the other on the whole "smoking" thing, but I just wouldn't send Sam to daycare in anything I actually am attached to. 

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    imageepphd:

I have a pair of Sam's pants (Old Navy Courdoroy pants) in the sink soaking right now because they are covered in paint/marker/crayon/food from ONE DAY.  No way I would send him to DC in anything that I paid full price for :)  It was all fine and dandy until he started walking - and then, forget about it.  Between puddle jumping, "art" and food, his clothing is pretty trashed by the time he outgrows it. 

I don't really have a feeling one way or the other on the whole "smoking" thing, but I just wouldn't send Sam to daycare in anything I actually am attached to. 

This.

I understanding wanting your child to look nice for school - I always send DD in "outfits" that I think are cute, even though they are play clothes.

To me, sending a child under age 6 or so to school or child care in an outfit that cost more than about $15 (or less) is crazy.  Either you don't want your child to get dirty (which is unlikely to happen anyway) or you have no problem staining/ruining an expensive outfit.  I can't stand stains, so that just wouldn't work for me.  (And if your child is in child care, you know there are such things as stains that can't be removed!)

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I had a bunch of smocked stuff until I was in 1st grade and always wore nicer clothes to school and came home to change into play clothes...not sure if my mom sent me to daycare in it though.
    "Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    I missed the OP about this but I wanted to chime in because I have absolutely NO CLUE what "smocked" means. Anyone have a picture? I'm thinking this is a regional thing (I'm on the East Coast).
  • Options
    imageLCB34:

Kate wears smocked clothes 4 or 5 times a week.  If/ when she starts school/ MDO she will wear them there too.

I guess it's all dependent on your area but I see nothing wrong with smocked clothes to school.  I also don't think of it as formal wear seeing as it is every day wear in our house.  I think of most smocked things as the same as a monogrammed bloomer/shorts set.  Granted, we do have more formal smocked clothes (silk, more traditional, etc) that are for things like Christmas and such but, for the most part, it is our every day gear.

It will be the same for Will.  He will be in smocked/ monogrammed/ appliqued bubbles, jon jons, rompers, and longalls on a regular basis for at least 12-18 months (after 18 months I think it is too "baby" for a boy).

LCB - I think what we all want to know is how does Kate keep her nice smocked clothes clean?? Or do the smocked clothes just get clean easily and you don't have to worry about stains? Since you said it's your everyday gear, does that mean that most of what she wears is regular cotton/easy to clean fabric? I think we have this perception that smocked = fancy fabric = expensive = hard to clean.

Lucas had an outfit on for no more than 2 minutes today and he had dribbled milk/drool all over it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Now that I am remembering - my mom sent me to grade school in pretty nice stuff.  At that point I wasn't getting as dirty.  but I vividly remember the knickers and knee socks she dressed me in... it started off a pretty long stretch of bullying.  ;)

ETA: knickers are kind of like capris, but fuller, and they gather (usually by way of a button) just below the knee.  I looked like fraking Oliver Twist.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"