Northern California Babies

Well...that's kind of weird

DH and I came home from visiting family for Thanksgiving last night and found a box of Similac formula samples. I guess my name and address got on a list somewhere. What a great way to promote breastfeeding Tongue Tied
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic My Boys! BabyFruit Ticker image

Re: Well...that's kind of weird

• Oh lord! Don't even get me started! While I did have to supplement, I am a huge fan of BF'ing! Stay strong!
    Life is a roller coaster, enjoy it!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lighthouse State Beach, Santa Cruz.

• Loading the player...
  • imageCelyn:
    Did you buy something at Motherhood?

They are the worst!  Also do you subscribe to any parenting type mags?  It's pretty disgusting how much junk mail you will get just for becoming a parent.  You can always donate the samples to a charity that services pregnant women/mom's/homeless.

• I agree about promoting BFing. I was having issues with supply when I left the hospital and dispite telling them no formula DH was given a huge bag of it "just in case". I guess that was easier (cheaper) than giving me a LC appointment. Motherhood is the worst, I paid with cash when we shoped there just to try to avoid getting on everyones mailing list. I donated mine to friends but food banks and shelters will take it too.
  • Yep. We have several cans that I've gotten in the mail. I will donate them if we end up not using them ( if I don't make it a year or have supply issues later down the line). And honestly, I'm all for breAstfeeding and I've had to work incredibly hard at it and still do every day I was glad I had some just in case. Harper lost a lot of weight initially getting down to 5 pounds 10 ounces and was losing weight at each feeding. Pumping and bottle feeding worked until we could get her to latch with a shield which we still use. Luckily I had a great supply with my milk coming in on day three and pumping three ounces at a time. But if it hadn't and she continued to lose weight she would have been hospitalized for failure to thrive bc Olof the weight loss. Knowing I had formula in case I didn't have milk was helpful for me.i wish I didn't get it from being on a mailing list but I'm glad we had it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've bought from Motherhood, but only via Amazon. I do belong to a couple of "mommy" websites, so I must have gotten on a list somewhere. Guess I'll put the samples away in case we need it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic My Boys! BabyFruit Ticker image
  • We stored the samples away in case we needed them.  They ended up coming in handy when DS had a nursing strike around 10-months.  He violently refused to nurse after I got pregnant.  He went on strike for almost a week and my supply never really came back, even though I pumped the entire time.  The samples lasted us until he switched to WCM. 

I guess I wasn't offended because I am really cheap.  I never felt like some place sending me formula had anything to do with my choice to BF. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've gotten a lot too.  I was able to donate them, plus the checks they send, to the Kaiser Mommy & Me group.  When I got some while pregnant, I did open one container and sprinkled it on our dog's food for a bit, at the suggestion of our Bradley instructor.  He liked it :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think that's so odd that formula companies send out samples without knowing if you want it. I never was sent a sample, refused samples at the hospital and never had formula in the house just in case. Honestly, I do think that if I had it in the house there would have been a time that I would have given it to him, so I am glad I followed the advice of not having it on hand.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageashleyhuney:
    I think that's so odd that formula companies send out samples without knowing if you want it. I never was sent a sample, refused samples at the hospital and never had formula in the house just in case. Honestly, I do think that if I had it in the house there would have been a time that I would have given it to him, so I am glad I followed the advice of not having it on hand.

When I took our Bradely class our teacher told us there were lots of studies out showing a link between formula samples in peoples houses and people wanting to BF but then not succeeding with it. I haven't read any but it was one reason I was against getting samples.

• imagekittylove:

imageashleyhuney:
    I think that's so odd that formula companies send out samples without knowing if you want it. I never was sent a sample, refused samples at the hospital and never had formula in the house just in case. Honestly, I do think that if I had it in the house there would have been a time that I would have given it to him, so I am glad I followed the advice of not having it on hand.

When I took our Bradely class our teacher told us there were lots of studies out showing a link between formula samples in peoples houses and people wanting to BF but then not succeeding with it. I haven't read any but it was one reason I was against getting samples.

Irony: we had formula samples in the house and they worked...to "cure" a couple of nursing strikes ;-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I new that even if I had to switch to formula, I would do an organic version, so I posted mine on freecycle and gave it to a very appreciative adoptive mom. I know that foodbanks and other such agencies will take it quickly. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • i was grateful for the samples. i started out w/ every intention of breastfeeding and gave it my best try but it just DID NOT work out for us (no flames please, it's still a sore subject w/ me) and it was a relief to have the samples there at the house to get us started.

i wouldn't knock them per se but i'd keep them just in case.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I kept a can sample at my mom's house (DCP) in case of a catastrophic emergency and I couldn't get to DS for a couple of days.

I also had a couple of small bottle samples from the hospital in the house and it was actually a relief knowing it was there if I needed it.  I didn't feel it was a deterrent at all...

• We received a few samples of formula and I kept them just in case breastfeeding didn't work for us. This post reminds me that I need to donate them!

DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• imageEmmieB:
    imagekittylove:

imageashleyhuney:

Irony: we had formula samples in the house and they worked...to "cure" a couple of nursing strikes ;-)

Having the samples as well as a few premixed 2 ounces has not been a deterrent for us either. I've used a couple of the two ounces when she just wouldn't nurse and we were out and about and I do not feel bad about it. After 45 minutes of trying to get her to latch, Id rather her eat than letmy pride get in the way. She has had 9 ounces of formula in her life and I don't regret a drop of it. 4 were in the emergency room after she choked...I didn't remember my nipple shield while rushing into the ambulance but was grateful to be able to still feed my baby. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekittylove:

imageashleyhuney:

I'm glad that this hasn't been the case for so many on the board but yes, I've seen the studies floating around my BF groups. It's an unfortunate reality :(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"