September 2011 Moms

BF issues after 12 weeks w/no issues.

So Dagny was a great nurser even in the very beginning. We were lucky this time and her latch was perfect. Starting last couple of weekw though her latch has been less than good and she is making a clicking noise. It doesn't really hurt but I know she is getting a lot of air.

The clicking started a couple of weeks after she started DC and getting bottles during the day. I'm wondering if this is the cause of the new issue. My other thought is that I have a strong let down on one side and it seems to be worse now. Could it also just be her trying to not choke on milk?

I'm also still getting hard breasts at night. Is anyone else?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BF issues after 12 weeks w/no issues.

• I only got hard breasts once lately, and it was because DD fed at 7 and then after her bath she just fell asleep, so I didn't feed her until the morning at 6. 

I noticed that LO makes a clicking noise when she uses a bottle, but not when I give her the breast.  

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  I wish I could give you an answer to your questions, but honestly I'm going through some problems myself.  I can answer the question about hard breasts at night, which is yes.  DS has been STTN for a little while and I always wake up with hard breasts!  Esp last night he slept 8 hrs!!

My problem is he keeps coming on and off constantly.  I was going to post on the BFing board, but just haven't yet.  He's not really distracted, I have no clue what's going on with him, and it is driving me crazy!!  At first I was unsure whether he was getting enough, but he has PLENTY of wet and dirty diapers.  The last 2 days he has pooped almost 10 times. Today alone he pooped out of his diaper and has just now pooped again!!  

I can tell you, in an answer to the other question, that I have an overactive let down as well, and he got used to it.  I'm not sure if he is coming off because of that, choking, but I don't think so.

I really hope that it gets better for both of us.  I know mine used to be a great nurser and right now I'm losing my mind!

• Loading the player...
  • We had awful issues at the very beginning-- Danny had a tongue tie that went to the very tip of his tongue and I have inverted nipples. The tongue tie was snipped at 6 days old and since then he's latched with no problems and he fixed the inverted nipple issue himself.  As for the clicking noise, Dan has done that since the get-go and I just have to sometimes burp him halfway through a feeding.  He'll unlatch himself if he starts to get uncomfortable, burp, and then continue feeding until the tap is dry.  We also supplement with formula so I can get a break and hubby can bond with him for a bit too, and the bottle we use has almost a double nipple forcing Dan to work to get the milk preventing the laziness that goes with bottles.  My mom found it at Walmart and has been a lifesaver!

Have you tried pumping? My breasts will get very hard if he hasn't nursed in a while and either having him nurse or pumping after massaging them helps.  Pumping (or manual expression) for a few right before nursing might also help with the letdown issue too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my lo makes clicking noises some times too. I have a somewhat overactive letdown and I do think it is from her trying to keep from choking.

I had thrush a while ago and I heard it was a symptom of that, but I shouldnt have it anymore, so don't think so.

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• imagekmikolitch:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  I wish I could give you an answer to your questions, but honestly I'm going through some problems myself.  I can answer the question about hard breasts at night, which is yes.  DS has been STTN for a little while and I always wake up with hard breasts!  Esp last night he slept 8 hrs!!

My problem is he keeps coming on and off constantly.  I was going to post on the BFing board, but just haven't yet.  He's not really distracted, I have no clue what's going on with him, and it is driving me crazy!!  At first I was unsure whether he was getting enough, but he has PLENTY of wet and dirty diapers.  The last 2 days he has pooped almost 10 times. Today alone he pooped out of his diaper and has just now pooped again!!  

I can tell you, in an answer to the other question, that I have an overactive let down as well, and he got used to it.  I'm not sure if he is coming off because of that, choking, but I don't think so.

I really hope that it gets better for both of us.  I know mine used to be a great nurser and right now I'm losing my mind!

it could be the opposite... I have an overactive  let down and my lo has gotten much better at handling it, but sometimes she comes off over and over again and I think it is because the flow is too slow after the let down (it happens more often when she cluster feeds, so I think there is just not as much in there, and shes getting impatient)

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• One of the lactation consultants I saw said that the clicking was s result of too much milk and fast letdown.
  • Thanks for the feedback, ladies. I may try to hand express a little before feeding her to stop the constant flow. I just hate wasting any milk and I really don't want to start messing with my supply any more since I just started back to work.

Maybe I'll just let it be right now and see if it corrects on its own since there is no pain.

• I'm sorry that you're having issues :( LO in constantly unlatching at 90% of his feedings. It's the main reason that I'm thinking of throwing in the towel. The on again off again makes it really hard to NIP, even with a cover. It's so frustrating to deal with BF issues.
  • imageT&HLove:
    imagekmikolitch:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  I wish I could give you an answer to your questions, but honestly I'm going through some problems myself.  I can answer the question about hard breasts at night, which is yes.  DS has been STTN for a little while and I always wake up with hard breasts!  Esp last night he slept 8 hrs!!

it could be the opposite... I have an overactive  let down and my lo has gotten much better at handling it, but sometimes she comes off over and over again and I think it is because the flow is too slow after the let down (it happens more often when she cluster feeds, so I think there is just not as much in there, and shes getting impatient)

J has been doing the same thing & now I'm wondering if I'm having the ame problem. 

• I also still get hard breasts early in the morning. I totally agree about not wanting to waste bm though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"