School-Aged Children

What to get 6- to 10-year-olds who have everything?

Hey, Moms!!  I'm looking for some Christmas gift ideas for our neice (8 years old) and 2 nephews (6 and 10 years old).  I've asked their mom and she just says they have everything, she honestly doesn't know what we can get for them.  They are each getting one big gift each from their parents this year.  Are they old enough for gift cards?  I'm sure the 10-year-old is but what about the other two?  Or any suggestions for generic gifts they might like?  TIA!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: What to get 6- to 10-year-olds who have everything?

• My kids are 7 and 11, and they LOVE gift cards!!

Unfortunately, my kids are also overloaded with toys, and it is really hard to find stuff they don't already have.  (I have my overenthusiastic mom to thank for this!)

I have a SIL who gives each kid a "certificate" for a special outing sometime during the year. One year she took my DD to a "paint your own pottery" place, and she took my son to the Lego World Store.  She's also had them over for New Years for a "slumber party" and stuff like that.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I got my 6 y/o nieces Nintendo DS games and my 8 y/o niece an ipod player.  She may already have one but I'm sure she has some place she could put another one.  My 10 and 11 y/o nephews are getting cashola.  They got Gamestop gift certs for their bdays.
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Books are always good gifts, imo!  8 y/o might like the Little House On the Prairie or the Ramona books.  6 year old would probably like the Magic Treehouse or some cool nonfiction books.  10 year old might like the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan. 

Gift cards are fine of these ages too.  

• For the boys - You can never go wrong with Legos - even if they have them, there's always other stuff that can be built with the same pieces from any kit and instructions are included.  For the girl - not sure if she's into the American Girl Collection but if she is outfits for her doll might be a good idea...

I'm not a fan of the whole gift card thing unless it's someplace that has something else going on there or they are wanting to put the money toward something bigger from a particular store but you don't have enough in the budget for the big ticket..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD is 8 and LOVES gift cards!!!  LOL, she loves getting them, but doesn't like giving them, b/c she loves to shop! 

Do you live close by?  If so, maybe you could offer to TAKE THEM on the shopping trip to use up the gift cards.  That way, you know they are used, but also have a special outing.  I take dd to Target and then get her one of the snacks like popcorn afterwards (I know, they are so bad for you...).  If they like to read (at least the older one), you could get a gc to Barnes and Noble.

Also, the girl might like going someplace where she can get a manicure / pedicure.  DD loves when she can get this done!  And usually it is not something she does, unless there is a big event (for example, she was in a wedding). 

For the boy, maybe a trip to an arcade place, like Dave & Busters or Funplex?

image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • I'm going with an experience.  A membership to somewhere or an outing of some sort (my mom got my kids circus tickets for Easter last year, for instance). 
  • How about magazines? My SD has pretty much everything she could want and it only at our house EOW during the school year. One of her gifts this year is American Girl magazine for a year. DH's grandmother got all of our kids Highlights one year and they really got a lot out of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My nephews who are 8 and 9 love gift cards because they get to pick out what they want. I got them GameStop gift cards because I have no idea which games they already have (I know they have alot) but that is what they are into.

I don't know what you are looking to spend but maybe a season pass to a local amuzement park or fun place around you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like the special outings idea- my sisters have started doing this with my son, and he loves the chance to go somewhere special without his little sister in tow and have 1:1 attention from an adult. Tickets to a show, the movies, a trip to Dave and Busters, even a "certificate" for a picnic in the park are all great ways to give an experience to a kid w/out needing to further clutter up their home with toys.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"