Boston Babies
Options

Best hospital for the birth in Boston area?

I picked Mount Auburn because of the excellent reviews and allegedly one of the best hospitals to give birth. True?

I looked at the website and found different options for picking a doctor, midwife, etc.

I am totally clueless about that.

Can somebody please explain to me where to start?

Re: Best hospital for the birth in Boston area?

• Options
    So many views and not a single response?
  • Options

I live in Boston and I went to South Shore Hospital is the Best!!!!

Had my daughter there 6 months ago.. it was an amazing experience!!!

and Im SO happy to announce that I'm headed back in July to have baby #2!!!

We just found out that we're expecting!!!

South Shore's maternity team was exceptional - their lactation consultants, nurses, conceirge.... absolutely everyone made my stay a dream!

let me know if you have any specific questions. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maggie thank you. However I am interested in Boston area hospitals, close to downtown (like the mentioned ones in my original post)
  • Options

I have always heard that the Brigham is the best hospital in Boston......by far!!!!!  We recently moved to the South Shore from the city and are actually about ten min drive from South Shore Hospital but we are still going to deliver in the Brigham in March.  I drove it the other morning in traffic and its over an hour but less than half an hour in no traffic to get there. You def cant go wrong if you pick the Brigham, IMO!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Depends upon the birth you want and the needs of your baby. 

If I were high risk I would opt for the Brigham or Mass General because the care is second to none and the NICUs are stellar.

If I were looking a hospital that values more natural birth Mount Auburn is the obvious choice. I went with the Midwives at Mount Auburn and have a lot of faith in their care.

However, when I was at risk of pre-term labor before 30 weeks and was sent from Mount Auburn to Beth Israel because if I were to deliver the babe would need the better NICU, I was in for a shock. I was asking logical questions and not getting answers about how many tumors I had, the location, how they might resolve, etc. Lots of people were looking at my chart, but I had no sense of who was actually taking me on as their patient. 

I asked whether the contractions I was feeling were comparable to the contractions I would feel if I were delivering full term and 2 different nurses says that I needn't worry about it because I would never feel contractions because of the epidural. When I said I was hoping to go pain med free, they strongly advised against it and seemed to think I was being naive and silly. Everyone was nice; few people were helpful. 

When I went in to Mount Auburn for another tumor problem at 32 weeks the care I received from the midwives was so much more helpful, personal, and respectful. I was in more pain than I have ever been in my life, but I was never scared and I was reassured by the consistent care.

You have lots of options in this area. Best of luck to you. 

• Options

Thank you ladies for your responses. It's funny what you say about BWH because I work with them and they have a pretty high re-admission rate, I don't like the inside of the hospital either. Well, have nothing to say about delivery though.

I picked Mount Auburn because my obgyn is affiliated with them. Now, when you speaking about midwives and natural birth - do you mean no epidural? 

I am not even sure what I want since nobody went through the available options with me.

Isn't it too late to change the Drs/hospitals?

• Options
    It's never to late to change! I used midwives and had a natural birth but at NWH.  I would talk to your current MD about your options and his/her view of natural verses augmented labors.  Did you take a birth class? That will help you learn about your options too! Good luck, and from what I've heard Mt. Auburn is great.
  • Options

I have 2 friends who delivered at the BI.  They loved it.  They were not high risk. I know another friend who delivered at MGH, she loved it.  Three others went with the Brigham and also loved it.  I don't know anyone who didn't like their experience anywhere.

I personally do not have confidence in the BI based on past experiences (not OB related). DH is a physician and had rotations at pretty much every hospital in Boston. His pick is the Brigham by far.  So is mine.  I was planning on a med free birth, and maybe a midwife. The Brigham would accommodate that.  But I'm having twins, so my original plan will probably be thrown out.  I'm very happy with the care I've gotten so far.

• Options
    I'm delivering my twins at BWH. I actually work there in the cord blood donation program and have seen a ton of c-sections and vaginal births and trust about 98% of staff to deliver my LO's (there's always a few that I wouldn't pick but only because of their attitudes). I have an awesome high risk doctor (Dr. Oxford). I'm also a cancer survivor that who has has a ton of care at MGH, BWH, and Dana. I had my lung collapse from radiation damage (scar tissue in the main bronchus from radiation tx 9 years ago). The  thoracic surgeon coordinated everything with my OB and she was there in the surgery with me at 14 weeks. I would never go anywhere else. My mom delivered my sister there also 21 years ago, she was 28 weeks and she did wonderful in their care. I would say it really depends on your situation. If your pregnancy is not high risk and you like Mt. Auburn go there, but if you end of having a "high risk" situation go to BWH, BI, or MGH.
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I am going to MGH. I absolutely love it there. Its my first so I don't know how delivery is but I have been to 2 appointments and have been in and out. I get taken right on time and everything is in the same place so you don't have to worry about going some place different for an ultrasound or bloodwork. My PCP is out of MGH so that is how I ended up there. I did visit a friend at BWH and thought it was a lot harder to get to and I did get lost trying to find the materity ward but she loved it there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am barely 4 weeks pregnant, so I am not taking classes yet.

I spoke with my obgyn office and they told me they would not see me until I am at least 8 weeks pregnant. I told them I was spotting (brownish color) and they said it might be implantation bleeding and asked me to call them in case it gets worse.

Is it normal? They also told me I would see midwife first.

One more question re: topic: can I pick BWH for example considering my obgyn is affiliated with Mt Auburn?

• Options
    imageSuerteNN:

I am barely 4 weeks pregnant, so I am not taking classes yet.

I spoke with my obgyn office and they told me they would not see me until I am at least 8 weeks pregnant. I told them I was spotting (brownish color) and they said it might be implantation bleeding and asked me to call them in case it gets worse.

Is it normal? They also told me I would see midwife first.

One more question re: topic: can I pick BWH for example considering my obgyn is affiliated with Mt Auburn?

Lots of places won't schedule a first appointment until 8 weeks or so. It is also typical to see a midwife first because the first appointment is largely informational. If you were to want to deliver at a hospital where your doc doesn't have privileges, you would have to switch doctors. You can get an epidural at any hospital, but there may be a birth center or two where you can't. You absolutely can at Mount Auburn whether you are a patient of a doc or midwife. I know the doctors as well as the midwives at Mount Auburn do separate monthly informational evenings.

https://mamah.org/meetthemidwives.html

I don't have a link for the meet the doctor's night. I would go to both, and maybe one at the Brigham if you are thinking you might want to deliver there. The two hospitals have very different 'feels' to them. They are both great hospitals, but they have different strengths. Should you need the intensive interventions of the bigger city hospital (or if there was a likelihood your babe would) you will be transferred from Mount Auburn to either the BI or the Brig.  

Can't recommend the informational nights at Mount Auburn highly enough. People switch docs into third trimester, but it is never to early to establish a relationship/comfort level with your caregivers. 

• Options
    imageBostonGayGal:

I know the doctors as well as the midwives at Mount Auburn do separate monthly informational evenings.

https://mamah.org/meetthemidwives.html

I don't have a link for the meet the doctor's night. I would go to both, and maybe one at the Brigham if you are thinking you might want to deliver there. The two hospitals have very different 'feels' to them. They are both great hospitals, but they have different strengths. Should you need the intensive interventions of the bigger city hospital (or if there was a likelihood your babe would) you will be transferred from Mount Auburn to either the BI or the Brig.  

Can't recommend the informational nights at Mount Auburn highly enough. People switch docs into third trimester, but it is never to early to establish a relationship/comfort level with your caregivers. 

Thank you very much for that info! I would definitely go. I am assuming it's free?

Do you have a link to BWH similar meets?

• Options
    imageSuerteNN:

Thank you ladies for your responses. It's funny what you say about BWH because I work with them and they have a pretty high re-admission rate, I don't like the inside of the hospital either. Well, have nothing to say about delivery though.

I picked Mount Auburn because my obgyn is affiliated with them. Now, when you speaking about midwives and natural birth - do you mean no epidural? 

I am not even sure what I want since nobody went through the available options with me.

Isn't it too late to change the Drs/hospitals?

It is your job to educate yourself about the kind of birth experience you want. If you don't, you'll likely have a highly medicalized experience.  Which is fine, if that's what you want and if you'll be comfortable with that.   But if you want something different, you need to do the research. 

Two great books on the state of maternity care in the US are "Get me Out" and "Pushed." 

You still have plenty of time to read and think about what kind of care you want.  And as previous poster said, you can transfer practices into your 3rd trimester. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i had my son at MGH and loved it.  i had a great experience.  another one of my friends had her 2 kids at BI (she was high risk) and had a great experience as well.  the only place i've had a friend say bad things about is boston medical center.  she had a terrible experience.  good luck in choosing :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow the October 2012 Moms Blog!
  • Options

I delivered at BI and am definitely going back if/when we have a second.  I was high risk and they treated me with extra care.  I live 1 hr away and i was worried about being turned down if we were in labor.  My doctor said to come early and no one will turn me back because she didn't want me to run the risk of delivering at a local hospital given my situation.

Overall, i've had friends deliver at Brigham, BI, MGH and Mount Auburn.  I have not heard a bad experience about any of those hospitals.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I delivered at MGH and would recommed them to anyone.  I had a fantastic experience.
  • Options
    imageBostonGayGal:

Depends upon the birth you want and the needs of your baby. 

If I were high risk I would opt for the Brigham or Mass General because the care is second to none and the NICUs are stellar.

If I were looking a hospital that values more natural birth Mount Auburn is the obvious choice. I went with the Midwives at Mount Auburn and have a lot of faith in their care.

However, when I was at risk of pre-term labor before 30 weeks and was sent from Mount Auburn to Beth Israel because if I were to deliver the babe would need the better NICU, I was in for a shock. I was asking logical questions and not getting answers about how many tumors I had, the location, how they might resolve, etc. Lots of people were looking at my chart, but I had no sense of who was actually taking me on as their patient. 

I asked whether the contractions I was feeling were comparable to the contractions I would feel if I were delivering full term and 2 different nurses says that I needn't worry about it because I would never feel contractions because of the epidural. When I said I was hoping to go pain med free, they strongly advised against it and seemed to think I was being naive and silly. Everyone was nice; few people were helpful. 

When I went in to Mount Auburn for another tumor problem at 32 weeks the care I received from the midwives was so much more helpful, personal, and respectful. I was in more pain than I have ever been in my life, but I was never scared and I was reassured by the consistent care.

You have lots of options in this area. Best of luck to you. 

I'm a little horrified that two nurses told you that you wouldn't feel any contractions after having an epidural.  It may have taken a little edge off the pain but it still hurt like a mo fo!

• Options

I delivered at the Brigham and would do so again in a heartbeat. My daughter was born at 32-ish weeks and I needed a level III NICU so was happy to be there. The antepartum care was excellent as was labor and delivery. The nurses are fantastic and really are what hold the experience together.  We had an equally fantastic experience in the NICU.  The nurses were fantastic.

All in all I think we are very spoiled here in Boston. Medical care is excellent at most hospitals here. 

3 failed IUIs, 1 successful IVF Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimage
  • Options
    I delivered at BI and my sister delivered at BWH, we both had great experiences.  Our choices were made by our DR's and whatever hospital they were associated with.   Boston hospitals are all good so it is more important to find a DR that you like. 
  • Options

I'll be delivering at BWH and can't say enough great things about them. I haven't  had the twins yet but I was there overnight for a kidney stone and they took such great care of me. the doctor & nurses were amazing and so attentive.

I also had my first baby at South Shore Hospital and well, I didn't have such a great experience to make a long story short.

Good Luck! 

image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"