Oregon Babies

Providence insurance- waterbirth?

I work in Vancouver, WA but live in Woodburn, OR. My insurance is "Providence Personal Option" and midwifes are covered under my insurance. However, I'd like to have a waterbirth and no midwives that are in my network deliver at an approved Providence facility. Did anyone with Providence insurance have a waterbirth or know how much is covered for "out of network" options?

I just found out on Sunday that I'm pregnant, but I'm looking for a doctor or midwife so I can set-up my first appointment (I currently don't have a doctor). That's why I'm already thinking about this. Thanks!

Re: Providence insurance- waterbirth?

• Have you checked out your insurance website (the logged in version)? They usually have additional info.

I'm interested in waterbirth as well, and would love to use one of the birthing centers in Portland, but I know I'll have to pay out of network costs, unless I use OHSU.

For me, I'd be looking at $1500 minimum out of pocket. 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I believe that Emmanual and OHSU are the only hospitals that allow water births, and I use to have Providence personal op. plan and could only go to I believe the two providence hospitals.  

Have you checked out a birthing center? Or having a water birth at home with a midwife? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • Hopefully you can open this link... but here is a list of facilities around Woodburn.  

https://www.providence.org/PHP_ProviderDirectory/Pages/PHP/List.aspx 

• Thanks, I haven't been able to get ahold of my insurance because of the holiday weekend. I looked online and yes, it does only cover providence hospitals, and you're right- OHSU and Legacy Emanuel are the only ones that do waterbirths.

Fortunately, it does cover (at least it states so online) Peacehealth Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver, WA, so I'm hoping to deliver there since they allow waterbirths (as long as my insurance isn't picky about my birth plan). I figure if I drive an hour to work every morning, and more than an hour home every night after teaching, then I can handle driving up to Vancouver one day when I'm in labor, right?

• imageerin234:

Thanks, I haven't been able to get ahold of my insurance because of the holiday weekend. I looked online and yes, it does only cover providence hospitals, and you're right- OHSU and Legacy Emanuel are the only ones that do waterbirths.

Fortunately, it does cover (at least it states so online) Peacehealth Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver, WA, so I'm hoping to deliver there since they allow waterbirths (as long as my insurance isn't picky about my birth plan). I figure if I drive an hour to work every morning, and more than an hour home every night after teaching, then I can handle driving up to Vancouver one day when I'm in labor, right?

LOL 

• imageerin234:

I figure if I drive an hour to work every morning, and more than an hour home every night after teaching, then I can handle driving up to Vancouver one day when I'm in labor, right?

hahahahahahahah. You're funny.

I had to be in the car for less than 20 minutes from our house to St V's and it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.  Imagine if your water breaks at 4pm on a Friday afternoon, it could take closer to 2 hours to get to Vancouver... do you really want to risk giving birth in the car? what if you have complications on the way?  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I think you could be just fine.  As long as you have a backup plan and a closer hospital to go to if things are moving along more quickly than expected.  Also make sure you figure the longer drive in and maybe leave a bit early than you normally would if you were ten minutes away.  I had a 40 minute drive to my hospital and all in all in ended up taking us an hour to get there.  I am not gonna lie, that was a ROUGH car ride but it was worth it to be at the facility I thought was best.  Good luck with your choice and congratulations.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"