LGBT Parenting

How was your Thanksgiving and what are your weekend plans?

can you tell i don't want to be at work? :)
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: How was your Thanksgiving and what are your weekend plans?

• For Thanksgiving - I was woken up at 5am by L saying that Carter was awake and complaining of his ear hurting and she didn't know what to give him. Um...Tylenol? Motrin? Of course then I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and watched the 5am news, some of a movie, and did manage to nap for 20m before the kids got up at 6:30. I took Carter to urgent care when they opened and thankfully were were in and out in 35m with an ear infection diagnosis and a bottle of Amox. Luckily, Carter has been acting just fine (he's had a cold for a few weeks but no fevers.) While I was gone, L had started the crockpot turkey breast and made the cranberry chutney. While she showered I made apple and cranberry Israeli cous cous and the base for chocolate ice cream.

We went to the new(ish) air and space museum which was good...not crowded and gave us plenty of opportunity to walk around. Carter is really into fighter jets so he was excited to see those with their missiles. LOL. Came home and went to the playground and then ate. If you don't need a whole turkey, the turkey breast in the crockpot was SO good and easy. The moistest turkey we've ever eaten - almost more like chicken (which I actually prefer.)

We watched a movie with the kids and then had dessert.The kids went to sleep a little early and  L watched tv until I fell asleep at 9:15. Embarrassed

I am working today and then will be taking a little overnight trip tomorrow after the rest of my family gets haircuts! :) Sunday will be doing some yard work and getting ready for the week.

• Thanksgiving was nice.  My wife's family used to do a special Thanksgiving breakfast so we have started doing that now too (her family is out of state).  If you eat a big enough breakfast you can skip lunch and be ready for the big meal in the early afternoon.  We invited my sister (who is single and lives nearby, she's over a lot).  She brought homemade bagels and avocados and we made bacon, egg, cheese and avocado sandwiches and then had sweet potato muffins leftover from a bake sale for breakfast "dessert."  Delicious.  We cooked our Thanksgiving dinner contributions and then went over to my father/stepmother's for dinner and dessert.  There were 4 pies for 8 people -- totally insane!  The new one this year, a cider cream pie, was awesome.  Then my sister and I went out to see The Descendants (good but not a happy Thanksgiving-day movie) while my wife went to bed early.

Today my wife's at work and I'm trying to clean up the kitchen from yesterday's cooking frenzy and make the house a bit more presentable as she's having friends over to play poker tonight while I go to my sister's annual holiday craft night.  Right now I'm making turkey stock from yesterday's bird and it smells great in here.  Tomorrow she works again and I'm hanging out with my best friend, then hosting dinner for my stepmother's birthday.  Sunday's our only day off together so that's usually when we run errands and get organized for the week.

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry you have to work today!!

Yesterday morning my dad and I picked up DW at the airport at 8am.  Yay!  We moved all the toddler toys to the TV room and watched the Macy's parade and then the Packers game with my family.  Then while the nephews napped we helped my mom finish cooking and cleaning, and then the guests arrived.  My family has always spent holiday dinners with a group of close friends, but it's been years since my generation has been home for it.  We had 19 for dinner.  It was fun to see everyone again, and especially my bff from childhood (and DW's good friend in colege) who only ended up deciding to come home from Germany on Monday.  Some of the stories on this board are a good reminder of how lucky we are that our relationship is a non-issue in this group of people we care about.

I'm in the car right now on the way to the zoo.  The whole family is crabby so it could be interesting.  Tonight we are having a grown ups only dinner out.  Tomorrow we're doing the Macy's Christmas show and seeing Santa and aformentioned bff is going to come hang out with DW and I.  And then Sunday morning early we fly home...  :(  

TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Thanksgiving was a success!  People raved about my first turkey ever. 

My BIL asked, "What are those?"

"Brussel Sprouts"

L: "My favorite vegetable, I requested them." 

BIL: "Hmmm."

****eating, eating...***

BIL: "These, what are they called, brussels? They are really good. I'm having seconds."

Me: "You made my Thanksgiving, BIL. And I'm even happier that I have 11 witnesses to hear you say that."

--------------------------------------------

Bonus of Thanksgiving at your own house: when conversation gets awkward, you can always go "stir something." 

And both L and I could drink wine without drawing straws as to who will drive home.  

All joking aside, it was a really nice day with both friends and family.  

• Oh, plans-- a little more work, a little more socializing.

Maybe get Pumpkin's pics taken at a studio. 

Maybe pull out some Christmas decorations. 

Against my wishes, we are going to my parents house on Sun to celebrate my bd.  (I find it so unnecessary. I'm not 12. Sun will be the immediate family that was at our house for Thanksgiving plus my brother who was invited for Thanksgiving but was too busy and despite living 15 min away has only seen Pumpkin once for 1 hour. I don't mind going to my parents for Sunday dinner, but don't see why it has to be my "birthday dinner." Whatever.)

• Our little overnight trip has just turned into a little day trip. Bummer. But for some reason both kids said they didn't want to spent the night in a hotel (odd for them) and L and I decided we should save the money anyway. Well, we'll have all day Sunday at home now. :)
  • imagethemommymonster:

After dinner, we played Wii and Mexican Train Dominoes. J went home and took a nap before her 11:45 shift.

Our family loves Mexican Train Dominoes!

Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
    ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
    FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
    Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
    FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
    EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
    *Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"