April 2012 Moms
Options

32 oz of water for ultrasound?

Hi everyone-

My a/s is coming up, and they told me to drink 32 oz to be ready.  I had a 7 week ultrasound and followed their instructions, and I was IN PAIN!  Seriously, I was near tears because I was so uncomfortable because my bladder was so full.

So I'm definitely not drinking 32 oz again, especially because the baby is much heavier this time.  But I don't want to not drink enough so they can't see what they need to.  Any advice from those of you who've been through it?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 32 oz of water for ultrasound?

• Options
    I drank the 32 oz. and suffered. The tech let me empty my bladder half way through the u/s though.
  • Options

The first time I drank all I was supposed to, walked in, told them I was in pain, and they did a quick scan of placenta and cervix and then let me go to the bathroom.

Now, once I feel a little bit like I have to pee, I call that good enough and stop drinking. They've never said anything.

Mom to little frog 8/07, Lucky Duck 5/10, & Little Lion 4/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know about specific amounts because they have always just said to arrive with a full bladder. Just drink enough that it feels like you have to pee and that should suffice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options
    I keep hearing about this with other people and I think its weird that my Dr didn't have any instructions for me to drink water before. I don't know if this is just a preference of the Dr because maybe it makes it easier or what. Even when I had my first u/s at 8 weeks they let me empty my bladder, and they were still able to do it trans abdominal.  I would prob drink some water if they told you to.. but not to the point that you are uncomfortable. Good luck.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My doc told me to dring 8 oz of water an hour before. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Mine told me 32oz 1 hour before.  Well I did this with DD, and like you, I was in complete utter pain.  So with this PG I had my ultrasound yesterday and still drank 32 oz, but I waited to drink it about 20-30 mins. before the appt. and it really wasn't that bad....tech got everything she need and all was well.  good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The office told me that by 20 weeks you're far enough along to not need all that water. I probably drank a glass before going in to my appointment and peed right when I got there. When my mom tried to stop me the receptionist said, "Oh no, at 20 weeks, she's fine". I'm guessing if you didn't drink all that water they wouldn't notice.
    -------------------------------------
  • Options
    I had two bottles of water and they said I was fine :) 
  • Options
    I first made an appt at a radiology place for the a/s and they told me to dring 32 oz of water....I changed it to a maternal fetal medicine center per my Dr. and they said an empty bladder is fine.  I think it's more an old school way to think and not at all necessary.  They had no trouble during my a/s yesterday.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My dr's office said to drink 16 oz an hour before, but I had to go so bad about 20 minutes later that I couldn't hold it. I had to pee about 10 minutes before the appt, but by the time I got in there and they did their thing, asked me to leave a urine sample about midway through and I already had to go again pretty bad. There's no way my bladder could hold 32 oz! They told me you shouldn't be uncomfortable, so def. drink less if you have to.
  • Options
    My bladder is always full so I wasn't too worried.  They actually didn't give me instructions for my a/s but for my u/s I had at 11 weeks they said the drink 32oz 1 hour prior.  I did about 16 oz about 30 minutes prior and the tech actually commented on how full my bladder was.  I told her that I didn't follow the orders and she said that was fine because my bladder was almost too full!  She said that I must be really hydrated.
  • Options
    I haven't had any full bladder requests, as a matter of fact when I was walking back to my a/s yesterday they asked me if I needed to use the restroom before we went in! I had already peed twice while waiting, then again after the a/s. I pee A LOT, haha.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options
    After I had my coffee and OJ that morning, I actually peed before we left and twice before my appointment even started. Before going I double checked with the receptionist and she said I was far enough along that I could empty my bladder. My first tri screening, I needed to have a full bladder.
    Mr and Mrs EST 8.19.06

DD#1 3.28.12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I drank about 20oz and only 30 minutes before. I just couldn't do the 32 oz I would have peed myself. Halfway through she had me pee anyway because the bladder was too full for some of the pictures?

I'd say just need to pee a bit going in and you'll be fine...

• Options
    They always tell me to drink that much, but when I went in for my 20w a/s I was in serious pain...My bladder has never been that full and my knees were literally shaking while she was trying to get measurements.  She let me go to the bathroom after 10 minutes, and then come back to finish.  I would say just make sure you have a full bladder (you'll know when it feels full) instead of worrying about the exact number of ounces.
  • Options
    They have never mentioned drinking specific amounts of water before my ultrasounds.  In fact, they always give me a cup to pee in when I get to the Dr.'s, and the US tech always asks me if I emptied my bladder.
  • Options

I called the ultrasound department and they said no need to drink any water beforehand.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"