Pregnant after 35
Options

When do you plan to..."

Ladies - if you are a working woman (i.e., employed outside of the home - I know there are tons of SAHM's who work their butts off!!) , when do you plan to go on leave for the birth of your LO?  I was looking over the timeline that thebump.com creates based on due date, and it considers the last day of work to be a milestone a month before the actual due date.  I'm a FTM - would love to learn of everyone's plans!  TIA!

This was also posted on March 2012 and 2nd Trimester message boards.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: When do you plan to..."

• Options

As far as I know, the standard in the US at least if you are healthy with no complications is to go out on leave 2 weeks before your due date- that is what I did with dd 7.  If there are complications, your doc can give you a note to go out sooner (4 weeks).  I don't think 4 weeks is the standard though.

I plan to do 2 weeks this time around, god willing that we are healthy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

A lot of moms on my month board seem to be planning to work right up to the onset of labor in order to save their maternity leave to have as much time as possible home with their little ones. 

My work is on a contract basis.  I don't have maternity leave, per se.  But luckily things will be wrapping up on my current project right before Christmas.  I'm due a week or so later.  And since I'm a first time mom, and ftm's tend to deliver a week or so after their due dates, I should have plenty of time to take care of stuff before the little one arrives.  If he doesn't show up the first week of January, I'm a little worried about going stir crazy without work while waiting for him to make his appearance. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I haven't really given this much thought yet. But I sure would hate to waste two whole weeks that I could spend with the baby after she's born. Plus, a lot of first babies come late.  I guess I need to do some thinking about this. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

With my DD, my last day was when I was 39 weeks, unfortunately I didn't have my child until 3 weeks later and ended up having to return to work when she was only 10 weeks old.

This time, as long as I am able, I will work as long as possible so that I can spend more time with the baby once he is born. 

Most people are stuck with the standard FMLA and leaving work a month early (unless ordered by a doctor) isn't very realistic.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    At first I thought I would work as long as I could in order to save maternity time. But, now I'm realizing there is so much I want to do at home and I think the time with hubby will be valuable. Plus I can't even work a full day anymore anyway, because I'm not sleeping, my back hurts, etc..    So, I have been slowing down my work days and will be coming in sporadically for the two weeks prior to my due date. I have also saved up vacation time so I can use that.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I worked up until my due date, but then had to wait another week for my baby to arrive. That week was AGONY for me - I felt like I was wasting my leave time and I knew that there were things I could have been doing at work (we had a report due a couple of weeks later and my boss was kind of incompetent). 

This time, I'm only contract. I'm working extra hours now to get the project completed in advance and I guess I'll just keep working as long as I can!  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will be working up until I deliver if at all possible. I don't want to waste any of my leave at home before LO is born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

i went to the office up until my first son was born, and as long as i'm feeling up for it, i will continue working until this kid comes.  i have a desk job, so not very taxing.  also, i work for the govt. and we don't have paid leave, so that plays a part in my decision. 

• Options
    At this point I plan to work til the end.  My due date is 5/16, but was told will be going a week early due to my diabetes.  Will see what happens as the time approaches. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I am a teacher and am technically allowed 4 weeks before (using my sick time) and 6 weeks after (again using sick time) then I can apply for FML for another 6 weeks.  I am not taking the 4 weeks before.  I would be bored to tears at home going nuts with nothing to do and I don't want to waste my precious sick days that I worked my butt off to accumulate.  If all goes as smoothly as it has been my last day will be Feb 10th and my due date is the 18th.  I've given myself a few days off before and then I can sit around and wait.  Then luckily after the baby is born I am not going back until Sept.  It will be tight money wise but I can't get this time back with my first born so I will make it work. I started saving and cutting back once we found out we were pregnant. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imageOwl38:
    At first I thought I would work as long as I could in order to save maternity time. But, now I'm realizing there is so much I want to do at home and I think the time with hubby will be valuable. Plus I can't even work a full day anymore anyway, because I'm not sleeping, my back hurts, etc..    So, I have been slowing down my work days and will be coming in sporadically for the two weeks prior to my due date. I have also saved up vacation time so I can use that.

I worry about that too, but fortunately I think I can work from home when it gets closer.  I think I might try to do that until I have to stop working.

• Options

imagebridekimmie:
    At this point I plan to work til the end.  My due date is 5/16, but was told will be going a week early due to my diabetes.  Will see what happens as the time approaches. 

Oh, ugh.  I am diabetic too.  And I so plan to carry to term unless absolutely medically necessary.  I do not want my baby taken early unless we have to.  I know some OBs insist on inducing early for diabetics no matter what, and I haven't discussed this with mine yet.  But I want to work this out ASAP.

• Options

I am a FTM. I am planning to work up until the end.  However I am concerned because I commute to work. I don't want to be in DC when I go into labor.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

In California, you have the option of going out 4 weeks before your due date and getting disability.  This does not count against your FMLA/CFRA after the baby is born.

My midwife is taking me out at 36 weeks.  Once the baby is born, I will take the 6-8 weeks on FMLA and then 12 weeks additional bonding leave under CFRA, during which we get 6 weeks of PDL paid.  After that, either no pay or use vacation.

• Options
    imagecaramel hottie:

In California, you have the option of going out 4 weeks before your due date and getting disability.  This does not count against your FMLA/CFRA after the baby is born.

My midwife is taking me out at 36 weeks.  Once the baby is born, I will take the 6-8 weeks on FMLA and then 12 weeks additional bonding leave under CFRA, during which we get 6 weeks of PDL paid.  After that, either no pay or use vacation.

Wow, you lost me with all those abbreviations.  I'm in California too.  So in total, how much of your leave is going to be paid, and how much is unpaid?

• Options
    imagetheboki:
    imagecaramel hottie:

Wow, you lost me with all those abbreviations.  I'm in California too.  So in total, how much of your leave is going to be paid, and how much is unpaid?

Sorry.  FMLA - Family Medical Leave Act.  CFRA - California Family Rights Act.  PDL - Paid Disability Leave (from the State).

So, if you go out 4 weeks before due date, you are paid STD (Disability Insurance).  Once the baby is born, if it's a regular vaginal, you get 6 weeks (or more if your caregiver will stretch it); 8 weeks for a c-section, paid under FMLA. 

Once that period is over, you change to CFRA (12 weeks unpaid), during which you get 6 weeks of PDL paid.  The remaining 6 weeks are either unpaid or you can use vacation, sick time or savings. 

So, not including the 4 weeks before birth, 12 weeks paid.

• Options
    imagecaramel hottie:

So, not including the 4 weeks before birth, 12 weeks paid.

Wow, thanks!  That was really helpful.

• Options
    I haven't though this far ahead, since we are still pretty early and are just going day by day right now. But at my work there is a funny sort of phenomenon that tends to occur. A large number of people there are pretty unhappy with the work environment. So a lot of pregnant women go on maternity leave and never come back! Or they come back for a short time and then leave again. My coworker asked me when we were trying if I planned to do the same. I was like I wish! I hadn't even thought of  that.

TTC since October 2009
    2 failed IUIs with Clomid
    IVF #1, ER 10/29/2011
    ET 11/3/2011
    One embryo transferred, four frozen
    11/12/2011, BFP, 11/13/2011, BFP, 11/14/2011, BFP
    First Beta 11/14/2011, 499
    Second Beta 11/16/2011, 893
    Third Beta 11/18/2011, 1510

Lost my dear husband, October 3, 2012. You are the bear of my heart dear, and nothing can take that away.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    With both my other girls I worked right up until I went into labor.  I just planned each day the last 2 weeks like I would not be coming back in the morning.  It worked out well and I was able to use all my FMLA for after the baby was born.  It actually helped around the office doing this b/c I was able to mentor the individuals taking over for me during leave and also do the side jobs that always fell to the side in our office.   Good luck with your decision.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"