Health & Exercise

skiing while pregnant? 1st trimester

My husband and I bought season passes for our local mountain. We love downhilll skiing and I am really excited. However, we are trying to conceive and hoping for a positive pregnancy test any day now. Do you know if it is safe to ski during the first trimester? Just in case i get KU.

Re: skiing while pregnant? 1st trimester

• I'd love to hear someone else's opinion on this as well. Skiing is actually my only "darn it" thing about being pregnant... not the beer, not the coffee, but missing my winter on the mountain is making me sad! I was planning on NOT skiing due to risk of falling/jumbling stuff up down there. I'll ask my OB and see what she says...
    BFP#1 5/1/11 m/c 07/8/11 ?BFP#2 11/10/11 EDD 7/20/12? BabyFruit Ticker spauldingtime
  • This is something you'll have to talk with your OB or GP about when you get pregnant, and people will have all sorts of opinions. My doctor was fine with me skiing in my first trimester since the baby is very protected behind your pubic bone. She wanted me to stop once I started showing. Many people on here will gasp about all the "what ifs" but I felt comfortable skiing up until I was 9 weeks pregnant.

My friend's doctor said it was not recommended. But she was less worried about the baby (since it is protected) and moreso about my friend. General anesthesia isn't recommended while pregnant, which of course is a concern if you fall and break a bone or tear your ACL.

But really it is about your comfort level as well as the advice of your doctor.

• Loading the player...
  • Mu OB OK'd skiing in the first tri. I went up a half dozen or so times last season - at 10 weeks we took a ski trip and the fresh air and exercise really helped with my m/s
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I skied through both of my pregnancies (with the blessing of my OB).

I was 8 months along the last time I skied with my DS.

I know my abilities and stayed on trails where there was a lower chance of people skiing really fast and out of control (ie: I stayed in the moguls instead of on the blue groomers).

I also had someone ski with me and stay behind me so I was less likely to get hit from behind.

imageimage Ashley Sawtelle Photography
  • Great question. I've never done it in my entire life. Yet.
  • I am a skiier and would only do it during first trimester. I have fallen before, in past years, when I didn't expect it and would land on my belly and slide..so please, be careful
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This was one of my first TTC concerns since ski season is coming up.  My Dr. said she was fine with it during first trimester assuming I limit my risks (stick to trails on the easy end of my comfort zone, stop if I don't feel well, stay hydrated, stop if I feel unsteady).  I'm looking forward to this season even if I get a BFP!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • My RE raised an eyebrow when I told him I was going skiing just after I had my BFP via IVF. He did not tell me not to go, though. I think you just need to check in with yourself and your skills, and if it feels right, and you are careful, it is not a risky activity.

I toned down my speed a bit and stuck to fairly unchallenging terrain. The main thing I noticed is that I got tired a lot faster. I also missed having the hot tub available for recovery time, but I survived :).

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• You haven't tested positive yet, so go ahead and get going skiing...  OTOH, skiing was completely out according to my OB...  (At the time I got PG with DD I was very active in the ski industry as well as having been an instructor)

The thing is, you can't put your life on hold while TTC "as if" you're pregnant.  OTOH, it would suck to use your season pass once and find out you're PG (harder to ask for a continuance on the pass until next year).. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I ski a lot.  All year round. I skied through out my entire pregnancy, including 6 days before I gave birth.

I ski both at the ski resorts as well as do ski mountaineering.  I know my ability very well, and have lots of practice skiing in ways that change my center of gravity, like skiing with a heavy backpack in difficult terrain.

I'm sure most people think I'm crazy.  I got some looks ski touring uphill (with my 50 lbs of baby weight) and passing other people.  But I really enjoyed the work out, and I did ski very carefully.

I don't see anything wrong with skiing in your first trimester.  I still skied the double black diamond terrain in my first trimester.  But I did not huck and cliffs or ski in any no fall zones.  I did ski more slowly.

I never mentioned my skiing or ski touring to my OB.  I like to live on the edge I guess!   I suppose I shouldn't recommend skiing 9 months pregnant, but I did it and everything was fine.

The biggest problem I had was finding snow pants.  I ended up leaving my pants unzipped and wearing an oversized coat or a long shirt to cover it.  

• I am 7 weeks pregnant after a one miscarriage.  I have enjoyed a lifetime of skiing and am planning on skiing through my first trimester.  As other skiers, I have kept my skiing conservative and have tried to be very cautious to avoid collisions or falling.  There are various reasons why I will stop skiing when I start to show: 1) Falling puts baby/placenta at risk for injury. 2) Decreased balance as your center of gravity changes increases the risk of falling. 3) Increase in ligament laxicty will increase risk of injury.  It's going to be really hard to put the skis away for a bit but in my mind, the benefits far outway the risk of loosing another baby.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"