Houston Babies

FYI: No more elective deliveries < 39 weeks.

Some of you may have seen me post in the past that I am a Labor and Delivery nurse. Just wanted to pass along this info as it is now being enforced (at least at the hospital I deliver in).

As of Oct 1, due to changes in Medicaid (and therefore all other insurance companies as well), you cannot be electively induced or be given a repeat cesarean (also considered an elective procedure) any earlier than 39 weeks--unless a medical condition exists that gives cause to deliver before 39. Only medical reasons (pregnancy induced hypertension, complicated twin gestations, gestational diabetes, etc.) will be a reason to do either any earlier than 39 weeks. 

Just wanted to let you all know so there would be no surprises when you tell your doctor at 38 weeks that you're "Done!" :) and they tell you you have to wait another week.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: FYI: No more elective deliveries < 39 weeks.

• imagejunebride611:

Some of you may have seen me post in the past that I am a Labor and Delivery nurse. Just wanted to pass along this info as it is now being enforced (at least at the hospital I deliver in).

As of Oct 1, due to changes in Medicaid (and therefore all other insurance companies as well), you cannot be electively induced or be given a repeat cesarean (also considered an elective procedure) any earlier than 39 weeks--unless a medical condition exists that gives cause to deliver before 39. Only medical reasons (pregnancy induced hypertension, complicated twin gestations, gestational diabetes, etc.) will be a reason to do either any earlier than 39 weeks. 

Just wanted to let you all know so there would be no surprises when you tell your doctor at 38 weeks that you're "Done!" :) and they tell you you have to wait another week.

It's basically everywhere because of the laws in Texas.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • Glad to know that my OB was ahead of the game on this.. that's always been her policy.  DD#1 was induced at 40 weeks (just before Christmas) and DD#2 started coming on her own at 39 weeks (was going in that day for an induction, she had her own plan) we augmented with pitocin. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, my doc wouldn't induce until I missed my due date, so I wasn't induced until 41 weeks. I was good until 40 weeks, but at 41 I was really "done."

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

• Yes
    My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • Wonder if this would have made things harder in my case? 

Personally, I had no desire to deliver early, but my c-sections were considered elective by the ins. cos. measuring stick. I believe in a long cook time is a good thing, which is the point of this rule. 

However, according to what my doc explained to me at 37 weeks despite extremely low fluid, no room in my womb to turn, and a footling breech positioning, it was still considered an elective c-section. That made me rethink how I felt about how elective some elective c-sections really are.

After a month of bed rest and monitoring, it seemed odd to be considered elective. It was medically necessary, but somehow still elective. Perhaps this would meet the etc.; plus I had GD, so maybe I'd meet that loophole? 

I held on as long as they let me with the first. They had suggested briefly to go in at 33 weeks, and I made it to 37 weeks in part by insisting we wait as long as possible. With my second, I waited until 40 and walked in for a c-section again.

• Yes as it should be!
  • imagelilycat:

Wonder if this would have made things harder in my case? 

Personally, I had no desire to deliver early, but my c-sections were considered elective by the ins. cos. measuring stick. I believe in a long cook time is a good thing, which is the point of this rule. 

Because insurance is about profit, not about health.

I think this is a great new policy. So glad to see it. 

• so I guess I am confused. I had a c section at 38.5 weeks due to the size of the baby. I have no desire to try a VBAC whenever I et pregnant again.

So this means I can schedule one but has to be after 39 weeks? What happens if I go into labor before 39 weeks? Am I still able to have a c section?

Sorry if this sounds dense...I may just be missing something.

• I think that is exactly what it means.  If you go into labor before 39 weeks then I assume the c-section becomes medically necessary.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Correct...labor --- ACTUAL labor (contractions that cause cervical change) = medically necessary.  Your doctor cannot schedule you before 39 weeks, but if you go into labor before, of course, they'll do the c/s then.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"