March 2012 Moms

2nd+ time moms: Can your hips actually widen....

....or do you just feel like they're widening. Does anyone feel like their hip shaped permanently changed after pregnancy? Wouldn't your bones have to separate more/widen more? And does that actually happen or is it really just retained weight?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 2nd+ time moms: Can your hips actually widen....

• I'm a FTM, but I know when my SIL went to a new OB/GYN for the first time, she was surprised that during her exam the doctor said "Oh, I can see you've had two kids!"  This was according to how many notches her hip bones had separated or something?  I think they do widen and then something fills in to keep them that way.  That's my scientific explanation based on hearsay.  ;-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • People told me that from behind I looked wider with my first child. I know many other people who have said once you give birth they never go back. 
    Working, Breastfeeding, Unmedicated Birthing Mother of Two.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well I guess they can- your joints loosen and stretch so I guess it is the same as your feet getting bigger. I didnt really notice my hips get bigger, but to be fair, they've always been pretty wide lol i've always called them child bearing hips. 

image        image
  • imagelisaNDmike08:
    I'm a FTM, but I know when my SIL went to a new OB/GYN for the first time, she was surprised that during her exam the doctor said "Oh, I can see you've had two kids!"  This was according to how many notches her hip bones had separated or something?  I think they do widen and then something fills in to keep them that way.  That's my scientific explanation based on hearsay.  ;-)

LMAO!!  i'm sorry, but this has to be the most ricidculous thing i've ever heard! 

• I had to write a paper on changes in women's gait while pregnant for an anatomy class last year, and I learned a few interesting facts.

If you've heard of relaxin, it's a hormone your pregnant body secretes to "relax" your joints and ligaments in preparation for birth. It actually relaxes all of your joints, not just those related to birth (ex. your shoulders are more flexible now). What's interesting is that in your second and subsequent pregnancies, your body secretes something like twice the amount of relaxin that it does in your first pregnancy. That explains what you're experiencing.

Pregnancy Ticker  
  • I think my hips went back but my rib cage didn't --- all my formal dresses don't fit anymore they don't zip up the back because my rib cage widened Crying
  • imageAbby7:

I had to write a paper on changes in women's gait while pregnant for an anatomy class last year, and I learned a few interesting facts.

If you've heard of relaxin, it's a hormone your pregnant body secretes to "relax" your joints and ligaments in preparation for birth. It actually relaxes all of your joints, not just those related to birth (ex. your shoulders are more flexible now). What's interesting is that in your second and subsequent pregnancies, your body secretes something like twice the amount of relaxin that it does in your first pregnancy. That explains what you're experiencing.

I'm not actually experiencing anything at the moment (aside from major pain in my pubic bone area) But my point was wondering if AFTER you have the baby can your hip set be permanently wider?

• Definitely. I guess my point was that they will widen even more after #2.
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • imageTexas77again:

imagelisaNDmike08:
    I'm a FTM, but I know when my SIL went to a new OB/GYN for the first time, she was surprised that during her exam the doctor said "Oh, I can see you've had two kids!"  This was according to how many notches her hip bones had separated or something?  I think they do widen and then something fills in to keep them that way.  That's my scientific explanation based on hearsay.  ;-)

LMAO!!  i'm sorry, but this has to be the most ricidculous thing i've ever heard! 

At least I provided a disclaimer! :-p  FWIW she's now like 6 sizes smaller than her prepreg size. 

• I'm honestly just kinda hoping that they do widen a little. ;) My thighs have always been bigger but I'm narrow through the hips. So I have to buy jeans to fit my thighs but then they majorly gape in the waist. So it'd be nice if my hips were to widen a little to balance me out.

Just trying to find a silver lining in all these body changes!!!

• My hips will never fit back into my size 3 pants ever again. After DS I got back to my pre preg weight, actually 5lbs less and I still could not get my size 3's to button. It was my stupid hips :( So I moved up to a size 5/7 )depending on the brand), but My hips never went back. My cousin on the other hand has had 2 babies and got to go home form the hospital wearing her size 0 jeans both times! I think it really depends on your body.

• I had worn a size 7 since 7th grade up until I had my son...I have since been in an 8 or 9.  I did not get back to my actualy weight beforehand either, but I feel like my hips had widened.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"