3rd Trimester

Is fainting normal during pregnancy?

I was about 6 Months pregnant when this happened and still I'm concerned about this accident. As of now I'm 32 Weeks, and was wondering if fainting was normal or is very serious? I was going to have breakfast with my Mom and Sister and while waiting to be seated I kept blacking out. This place was very very hot inside from all the people who were there, I haven't ate a thing all morning long so this would be the first thing I have eatin. I kept telling my Mom that I felt like I was going to pass out and she had mentioned to go sit down, because we were standing up for such a long time and their was hardly anywhere to move from all the people that were inside. As I took the first step I had fell to the floor, luckily my Mom caught me other wise I would have smacked straight to the floor. Secounds later I woke up knowing I had no idea what has happened, people were standing all around me trying to help me back up. Manager who owned the place brought me something to drink, finally we got seated for our food. And I was perfectly fine after that. I was very consered about the baby, knowing if she was okay or not.

Re: Is fainting normal during pregnancy?

• I think if it isn't consistent then it's normal.  It probably had something to do with how hot it was.  For some reason that happens to me at Walmart.  When I was pregnant with DS I passed out in the check out line of Walmart, and it almost happened again this pregnancy, but instead I went outside to get some fresh air.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Fainting is never normal.  Feeling lightheadded during pregnancy is quite common but blackout fall on the floor fainting is definitely not normal and I would get my butt to my OB ASAP.

Good luck.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I had fainting spells when I was pregnant with my daughter.  Many times it was because I got over heated or was on my feet for too long.  My doctor didn't seem concerned because my iron levels were fine and I was having a smooth pregnancy other than that.  She just recommended that I always have a water bottle with me when I left the house and even if I felt fine to stop and sit down whenever I had the chance.  Mention it to your doctor though but I think it's pretty normal.  In fact this same sort of thing almost happened to me this morning.  Luckily, I remembered what I felt like right before I passed out and was able to sit down and avoid actually blacking out.  I was Christmas shopping and had gotten a little bit too hot.  Hope this doesn't happen again for ya!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Same thing happened to me at 21 weeks.  Although no one caught me and I cracked my head.  I feel light headed every now and then so I have to carry crackers and gatorade with me in my purse so my sugars don't drop.  As long as you arent passing  out like as a constant I would say it's okay.  You need to make sure you are eating enough though.  Talk to your Dr about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Fainting is how my mom found out she was pregnant with me, and then how she figured out she was pregnant with my brothers after.  She passed out, went to the doctor, and they told her she was expecting me.  A few years later, when she fainted again, she knew that's what it was.  Same with my youngest brother.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is this a fake post? Sounds pretty unbelievable that this would happen and you wouldn't ask your doctor about it. Plus, this is your first post at 32 weeks? If this is real, call your Dr. If not, what's to gain from writing out a long strange story?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagececilyandgautam:
    Is this a fake post? Sounds pretty unbelievable that this would happen and you wouldn't ask your doctor about it. Plus, this is your first post at 32 weeks? If this is real, call your Dr. If not, what's to gain from writing out a long strange story?

Made me curious as well.

• That's normal. If you felt totally fine and then ended up on the floor, I think it would be a cause for concern. In my family, it's common to faint during pregnancy. My sister and I both had problems with that. We got dizzy on a regular basis though and would faint or black out if we didn't sit down when they started. Yours sounds just like how mine are though. I always get really hot and uncomfortable first. I always inform my doctor at my next appointment if I've fainted. She just reminds me to sit down if I start feeling that way so I don't fall on my belly and to keep a bottle of water and a snack with me. 

• imagececilyandgautam:
    Is this a fake post? Sounds pretty unbelievable that this would happen and you wouldn't ask your doctor about it. Plus, this is your first post at 32 weeks? If this is real, call your Dr. If not, what's to gain from writing out a long strange story?

Those were my thoughts.  You wait WEEKS to ask about this and at that you ask an internet forum and not your doctor?  Do you actually care if either you or your unborn child lives or dies? 

FYI, NO, fainting is NEVER normal.  Do you see pregnant women dropping in the street left and right?  No, you probably don't.

Aside from that, whether something is normal or not, if it CONCERNS you, then you ASK YOUR DOCTOR.  This is not hard. 

•  I fainted in line at walmart a couple of weeks ago and it turned out that the doctor think blood sugar had dropped.  Granted, I ended up going to the hospital to get checked out, not everyone thinks like that. 

• You're probably right that it was because your blood sugar was low.  I almost had a similar episode, and now I make a point to eat regularly.  I hope you took away the same lesson.  If you faint again, definately call your OB.  You should have mentioned the first episode to them already as well.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • No, this is not a fake post. I had made this profile Months ago and just never got on till a couple days ago. I wanted other peoples advice about this situation. I had already talked to my doctor about it, and he said it was perfectly normal. Only happened once and still hasen't happened again, for now on I keep a water bottle with me at all times and a snack in my purse so it won't happen again. This shouldn't be too unbelievable, it happens to a lot of pregnant women everyday. Luckily, I've only been through it once . . . and hopefully never again. I'm new to this website and trying to get the hang of it and to meet other pregnant women, give me a break.

• I would talk to your OB.
    I have had near fainting experiences, mostly with my first pregnancy- standing on a crowded, hot bus, getting my hair dried while at a salon (I had to go lay down), and generally standing for too long, getting too hot and not having enough to eat or drink.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"