Military Families

1 question and 1 piece of advice about PCSing

Question- Do I need to register my car here in MD if DH is still on active duty (he said he doesn't but he doesn't know about me)

Advice- Watch your mover and what he's writing on the inventory sheet. Ours wrote that EVERYTHING he put a sticker was "badly scratched and worn" so that he wouldn't be liable if he actually did damage anything. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 1 question and 1 piece of advice about PCSing

• Nope. You can keep your car registered in whatever state just as long as you make sure everything is up to date. I just get my license plate renewal stuff sent to my parents house every year because that is still my permanent address on my drivers license. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree with about the car.  You can also deny any of the damages recorded and put your own down.  You should have done that before they sent your HHG's. Our movers didn't put any damages down and I could easily claim a lot, but that would just be lying.  They did do a lot of damage and lost a few things.  I was not happy.
    Married since 3/20/2010 Expecting Baby #1 on 6/9/2012
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecmchristian:
    I agree with about the car.  You can also deny any of the damages recorded and put your own down.  You should have done that before they sent your HHG's. Our movers didn't put any damages down and I could easily claim a lot, but that would just be lying.  They did do a lot of damage and lost a few things.  I was not happy.

I didn't know about all that until they were unloading the truck and I was marking it all off. 

• Movers often use a code to indicate the condition of your HHG. It is very important to ask what the codes mean and why they have coded things as they have. It is key to be aware and to make sure the movers know you are aware, as well. Sorry you got screwed with this.

As for the car, there was a spousal act passed by Congress. I believe it depends upon each state as to whether or not you have to register your car and change our license. It sucks for me, but our vehicles are always in DH's name only so as to avoid this.

I hope you are settling into your new home and getting more familiar with the area!

Edited for clarity.
  • TMO told me pictures trump whatever is on the sheet. So always take lots of pictures. They did the same with us and in such TERRIBLE handwriting.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Also make sure that you watch the movers seal the crates with your HHG before they leave.  They cannot LEGALLY seal it without you watching and you must watch them unseal it.  They cannot legally unseal it without you present.  We PCSd from MD.  We didn't watch them seal it.  They left with 6 crates.  8 crates arrived in Germany and we had over 40 items missing- including a loveseat, 3 bikes, parts of my daughters crib, a television, etc.  We fought with the moving company.  They finally found the majority of our stuff.  It's hard to watch the movers when you have 3 men on different levels moving at lightening speed.  It's a long and tedious process and you don't want to watch their every move when you have children.  But you have to.  Get a babysitter for the day and become a pain in the @$$- this is your stuff!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"