Toddlers: 24 Months+

Explaining Christmas/Santa to a 2 1/2 year old...

I'm trying to find ways to explain the concept of Christmas, Santa, etc. to my DD.  We were at the mall today, and she saw Santa (from afar, we didn't sit on his lap) and immediately she asked "Where's my present" when she saw Santa.  Then when we left the mall, she was mad because she didn't have a present.  I don't know where she got this (probably day care) because we haven't really talked to her much about it yet.  I don't want her asking me every day for the next month when she's getting her presents, and...I have no clue how I'll do this...but I don't want her automatically thinking Christmas is all about presents and nothing else. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?  Maybe some books that might be helpful? 

Re: Explaining Christmas/Santa to a 2 1/2 year old...

• We explained that Santa comes on Christmas, only once a year. We gave a bit of a timeline that he could maybe understand....telling him after his birthday, it's his sister's birthday then Christmas.  So when he asks for presents we tell him it's not time yet. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Maybe you can buy and read some children'ts books.  There are lots of children's books about Santa and gift-giving--from a secular perspective. 

There are also Christian, children's books that will focus on baby Jesus' birth.

Then there are books that will combine the two.  You just have to decide on which message you want to send.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Have you thought about doing a paper chain? or some other type of "count down tool"? I know there are many books out their about it.
  • imagePayne2B2008:
    Have you thought about doing a paper chain? or some other type of "count down tool"? I know there are many books out their about it.

This is a GREAT idea!  We're also doing Elf on the Shelf with her, so we could make it a daily thing every morning, the Elf and a link off of the chain - thanks for the suggestion.

• We're Christians so we emphasis it more that its Jesus' birthday.  Although we do read Bible stories to the kids regularly, during Christmas time we keep all the stories about Jesus.  Because obviously Santa is around during the holiday season so we explained that Santa is one of Jesus' helpers and if Jesus decides that you were good then Santa will bring toys to us on Jesus' birthday to help celebrate Jesus.  On Christmas Eve is when we decorate our tree (we put it up a few weeks earlier) as another reminder to bring the message back to Jesus' birthday (you wouldn't decorate a birthday cake a month in advance and a Christmas tree is kinda like a birthday cake) and we also bake a birthday cake for Jesus.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that although we include Santa its less of an emphasis for us because in a few years when they discover Santa is fake I don't want the holiday lost on them.  But again, this is coming from a Christian view so clearly if thats not your belief system its of no help.
  • We haven't introduced DS to the idea of God or Jesus, so he doesn't have a concept of who Jesus is....but when I started telling him about Christmas a few weeks ago I told him it's Jesus' birthday and Santa will bring presents "for Jesus's birthday". He knows about birthdays from celebrating them at daycare.

This could backfire when and if he ever celebrates some one else's birthday and doesn't get a present...but I'm not worrying about that. They don't exchange b-day presents at daycare. In the mean time the explanation seems to be working.

Married June '03. DS born Jan '09. DD born Feb '12. No, we didn't choose to be childless for the first 6 years, only the first 3.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"