Babies on the Brain
Options

No fence around neighbor's pool.

I plan to ask him to have one installed next time I see him. That way he'll have plenty of time to plan, save money, etc.

DH says we have no right to ask him to build a fence.

Any thoughts?!

Re: No fence around neighbor's pool.

• Options
    I don't think you should ask him to build a fence. ?Can you build one between your lots?
  • Options
    You are supposed to fence in a pool. The neighbor should have to do it, you shouldn't. If it's above ground though, they can just lock the gate to it.
    2 girls and a dog
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I do not think you can do that either. You could get one for your yard.

In our area, there is a ordinance that any pools need to have a gate that closes around the pool. (above or underground) Check to see if there is anything like this in your area.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I agree with your DH unless there is a legal requirement to do so, or unless you are going to offer to pay for some portion of the costs.  Otherwise, keeping your child safe is YOUR responsibility, not your neighbor's.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Options
    In our state it is a law to have a fence around the pool.  If it were installed after he moved in the city may not know about it.  Also, I am surprised his insurance company has not said something.  Either way you have no right to tell him what to do with his property. 
  • Options
    There's no gate around his pool. I wouldn't ask him to build a fence for his YARD, just something to secure the pool. I'm searching the laws now.
  • Options
    Once you find out what the laws are for your area, you could call the city and mention this guy doesn't have his pool fenced off.  Then let the city handle it and that way your neighbor won't know that you complained. 
  • Options
    Again, barring a legal requirement that his pool be fenced or an offer from you to pay for some portion of his expenses, you certainly have no right to ask him to do something on his property for your convenience or your child's safety.

My Blog

• Options
    Still I think you are over reacting.  It is HIS yard not yours.  If you are that worried about it save YOUR money and put a fence around YOUR yard.  It is YOUR child not HIS. 
  • Options

I agree with pp - its not your pool, you cannot ask your neighbor to pay for a fence.

I would just put a fence around your yard if you are worried about it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageButtercup16:
    Once you find out what the laws are for your area, you could call the city and mention this guy doesn't have his pool fenced off.? Then let the city handle it and that way your neighbor won't know that you complained.?

If it is a law, this is certainly one way to handle it. ?But it will be pretty obvious who complained. ?They're next door neighbors and she's having a kid.?

• Options

I can't imagine it's legal. I can't find anything online, I'll call monday.

My parents had such a hard time getting their fence to even PASS when they built their pool! They had the fencing material on the wrong side and they made them switch it.

• Options
    If you were my neighbor and asked me to build a fence around my pool when there is no law or ordinance in the city to do so... I would tell you right where to go and keep your kid off my damn yard if you are so damned concerned! All I can say is you had better have a damn good leg to stand on if you bring this to his attention...his yard his choice!!! I'm kind of a bIitch like that...my property I will do as I please!
  • Options
    if its a law thats one thing but it is your responsiblity to keep your child safe...not his.  you should not ask him to build a fence on his property.  and it doesn't matter if its around the yard or jsut the pool - fences are expensive.  if i were your neighbor, i would tell you no. 
    DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • Options

imageButtercup16:
    Once you find out what the laws are for your area, you could call the city and mention this guy doesn't have his pool fenced off.  Then let the city handle it and that way your neighbor won't know that you complained. 

^ This is how I would handle it. I would not want to cause unnecessary animosity with my neighbor.   

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageH*E*E:
    If you were my neighbor and asked me to build a fence around my pool when there is no law or ordinance in the city to do so... I would tell you right where to go and keep your kid off my damn yard if you are so damned concerned! All I can say is you had better have a damn good leg to stand on if you bring this to his attention...his yard his choice!!! I'm kind of a bIitch like that...my property I will do as I please!

I agree HEE!  I think most homeowners would feel this way.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If you know what a deal it was for your parents why would you want him to pay a few thousand dollars to put a fence in his yard?  Not, only does it effect him being out that, his taxes could go up.   You need to watch your child and mind your business.  He didn't ask you to have a child.  He shouldn't be out money for you.  He is your neigbor not family.
  • Options
    Um, it's not your yard.  If you're that worried about it, build your own fence.  Oh, and maybe, I dunno, keep your kid out your neighbor's yard?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    And if you are very concerned, proper installation of child-proof locks on your doors should ensure that your child is never outside without supervision.

My Blog

• Options
    I'm laughing about this one... This falls in the annoyance that DH and I have.... Dumb people with children making other people feel responsible for their child(ren). Fvccking ridiculous!
  • Options
    obviously if it's not the law then I have no right to ask him but I can't imagine there's not one. Even with a law, DH still maintains that we shouldn't ask him. I totally disagree with him.
  • Options

imageH*E*E:
    I'm laughing about this one... This falls in the annoyance that DH and I have.... Dumb people with children making other people feel responsible for their child(ren). Fvccking ridiculous!

I agree.  I can put money on that she is going to be the mom calling the school everyday because her  child  is innocent and it is someone elses child.

• Options
    It's really not your place to ask your neighbor.  If there is a law then you need to contact the cities Zoning commission and let them handle it and keep your nose out of it!
  • Options
    Seriously, I would hate to be your neighbor.  If you asked me to put a fence up I would laugh in your face and the go over about 10 ft on your property.
  • Options
    ?Have to jump in and agree with the crowd here. If you're not planning to watch our for your kid why do you expect the rest of the world to? ?It's his property and you have no right (with or without a law if you ask me) to ask him to install one. Build your own.
  • Options

You're going to be one of those mom's that keeps their kid on one of those leashes, aren't you?

I hope your neighbor shoves a pool noodle up your ass.

• Options

If it's the law in your area then find out who you can call to 'mention' it. Because really, if it's the law and he doesn't have one, then it's his responsibility to put one up.

If it's not the law, then you need to fence in your yard if you are super worried about it.

• Options

If you're in Jersey I think it's the law...  at least in most towns?

If it's not the law, I don't think you can really ask someone to put up a fence, but you can fence your own yard... Look in to the law thing though...

• Options

I grew up with a pool with a 6-foot privacy fence and I don't think it was the law, however, our subdivison by-laws forced you to put one up.  There is no way my parents would've had the pool without the fence though not only for safety, but also privacy. I would think for liabilty reasons people would put a fence up but if it's not the law then it's really not your place to make waves.  I do agree with pp's in wishing that more parents would take responsibility for their children and not force them upon others.   BTW - the "child-leashes" are horrendous - who thinks it's ok to leash their child??  Seriously!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Are you planning to routinely allow your child to trespass on your neighbor's property with no supervision? If I was your neighbor, I would tell you to mind your own effin' business.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"