Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Any nurses on here? Bad acid/skin rash question with pic

DS is gaining weight very fast - up 5 lbs in 6 weeks so the dr won't even consider acid reflux meds eventhough he has it really bad at night. He basically foams at the mouth and all his drool seems to be acid. We elevated the crib mattress but it didn't help much and the acid just pours from his mouth across his cheeks, and all over his ears and behind his ears. We bought the rock n play to help keep his head elevated more but it doesn't seem to help much.

Here's a picture of how bad it is:

I've called the nurse at the pediatrician's office and they won't even see him again since they won't give acid reflux meds because he's gaining weight and they consider him a "happy spitter". 

Does anyone have any advice at all? We've been putting aquaphor on it but don't know what else to do... 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any nurses on here? Bad acid/skin rash question with pic

• Our pedi told us that our sons rash will get worse before getting better. So she told me I can leave it alone or put aveeno enzema facial cream or cetaphil. We've been using aveeno & it's gotten better. Hope this helps. My lo also has acid reflux and is taking zantec 3x a day. Which has helped with his feedings. Best of luck.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I am not a nurse, but just a mom that wants to give you a hug.  If my son or daughter had a rash like that and the dr wouldn't see me I'd be pissed.  So pissed, in fact, that I would look for a new pedi.  If it is truly a matter of acidic saliva causing that, then I would think that poor child should have some meds.  If its doing that to the skin, what is it doing to the esophagus??  Is your LO in pain from the rash or the reflux??
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagepete0121:
    I am not a nurse, but just a mom that wants to give you a hug.  If my son or daughter had a rash like that and the dr wouldn't see me I'd be pissed.  So pissed, in fact, that I would look for a new pedi.  If it is truly a matter of acidic saliva causing that, then I would think that poor child should have some meds.  If its doing that to the skin, what is it doing to the esophagus??  Is your LO in pain from the rash or the reflux??

Almost all of the pedis in our area belong to the same group but were hoping to find a reason to get past the on-call nurse to get an appt tomorrow or monday...

He does seem in pain sometimes but he doesnt puke alot... 

• How old is your baby? My DD had a rash like that but worse all over her face neck and chest. Pedi said it was just really bad acne but I knew it wasnt and got a second opinion,. It was an allergic reaction to her formula (she also has reflux) switched formulas and now its gone. I would get a second opinion if I were you.
    Love At First Sight!
    I love you even when your a fuss Butt
    Lauralei Mae
  • DD also has almost that exact rash over her face and neck. I was also told it was the 1 month acme that will probably get worse before it'll get better. My dd's rash extends to places where spit up does not get so I know it's not related to that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My 5 week old has it too, much milder mind you. She is exclusively breastfed, so I think you can exclude formula as a cause, since it looks like the same rash but my daughter has never had formula.

I also happen to be a nurse, but honestly have no idea for sure lol. Smile

Yeah, I would get a second opinion. And ditch the pedi.

• I'm a nurse and posted below with one of the same question. My LO's face looks like yours and between my internet searching & my mom we've decided its just baby acne.  I have been using Aveeno Eczema but its getting worse, so that's out for now.  Also I've noticed some days are worse than others.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Anniversary

• we're in the same boat reflux wise - she's gaining so they won't consider meds.

we've got the same rash but I never connected it to the spit-up ... we squirt BM on it and it stays not so bad. when we forgett it flares up.

• Looks like baby acne to me too. Did you have pitocin? I've been told that babies that were exposed to it have a worse case.

I would stop using the aquaphor since it can make it worse. Try a little hydrocortison if you feel like he really needs something. With both my DDs it went away on its own around 7 weeks.

Good luck on the reflux issue and I would be ticked if my pedi wouldn't give me an appointment! That's what they are there for and IMO the only reason you need is that you want your son seen. You (or your ins) are paying them.

• imageegankn:

DS is gaining weight very fast - up 5 lbs in 6 weeks so the dr won't even consider acid reflux meds eventhough he has it really bad at night. He basically foams at the mouth and all his drool seems to be acid. We elevated the crib mattress but it didn't help much and the acid just pours from his mouth across his cheeks, and all over his ears and behind his ears. We bought the rock n play to help keep his head elevated more but it doesn't seem to help much.

Here's a picture of how bad it is:

I've called the nurse at the pediatrician's office and they won't even see him again since they won't give acid reflux meds because he's gaining weight and they consider him a "happy spitter". 

Does anyone have any advice at all? We've been putting aquaphor on it but don't know what else to do... 

Personally, I'd switch Pedi's. Some are against meds, some aren't. I had the same issue with my DD. We switched Pedis and she's now on prevacid and a totally different baby. :) 

• Egankn - YGPM in a few minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"