May 2012 Moms
Options

I ate prosciutto and I'm freaking out...

Hi May Moms.  I'm new to the blog and I was wondering if any of you can help.  I was out to dinner tonight and I ate one piece of cold prosciutto.  I am always so careful about what I eat and I was reading tonight that eating prosciutto could cause major damage to the baby.  Is this true?

Re: I ate prosciutto and I'm freaking out...

• Options
    I think that you will be ok as long as you don't eat it cold again. they say that it is the bacteria that can cause harm.. but if the meat is cooked then it is ok. I wouldn't freak out too bad since it was just one piece.. but I'd stay away from cold meats like that though from here on out. :)
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Im pretty sure your kid is going to turn into a zombie.  :) Im kidding of course.  You'll be just fine but if you are seriously worried, call the OB for reassurance.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One piece is fine. I on the other hand ate two prosciutto and mozzarella sandwiches in the last week and enjoyed every bit. As long as its from a reputable place it's fine. I've been much more lenient this time than with my first. Even with my first I had cold cuts in rhe end. 
    Jaime... Mommy to Alexa Shaye and Sofia Gabrielle imageMy Bio CafeMom Tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I've had soft boiled eggs and feta cheese.  The basis for them saying that is our immune systems are down because we're more able to catch things that hang out on cold meats and soft cheeses and such.  It does not mean that we will, just that we are more likely than the average person.  One piece shouldn't make a difference! 

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• Options

There is nothing wrong with Feta as long as it is made from pasteurized milk. Most cheese in the US are. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options

I've been eating lunch meat occasionally. I buy the natural kind so there aren't any preservatives or nitrates/nitrites. I am way more concerned about those things than I am listeria.

Also, cheeses that are pasteurized are perfectly safe. I have been eating a lot of soft cheeses - they are one of my favorite foods! I just read my labels.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My doctor said something that made me calm down a lot - if it were contaminated with listeria, you wouldn't be the only one to have gotten sick and you would hear about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would not freak out as long as it wasn't from some roadside stand you should be fine.  I ate a lot of cold cut sandwiches with my first pregnancy and with this one as well.  My first son is perfectly fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"