3rd Trimester
Options

Skin improved with pregnancy?

Just curious if this was the experience for anybody else, but my skin has greatly improved throughout this pregnancy. Pre-pregnancy I had mild acne and would get 1-2 pimples maybe once a month (usually during PMS).... "they" say that carrying a girl means you'll end up looking worse since she "steals your beauty" but I don't think that was the case for me. If anything, my skin got much clearer and I always had that pregnancy glow... might just be me imagining things but I think some of my old acne scars have faded as well... (we're talking years-old scars here). Guess I was just one of the lucky ones? Now I'm dreading how bad my skin will get once DD arrives.... bah. And whether it'll revert back to the mild acne I had most of my adult life.

Re: Skin improved with pregnancy?

• Options
    Nope =[ I've been broken out almost constantly since first tri. I've typically had pretty clear skin with mild breakouts around "that time." It's never been this bad before, and it really bothers me. I don't even like having my picture taken anymore. Don't how I'm gonna handle my maternity photos (if they even happen.) I've tried everything! I've changed to a more "serious" face wash, used spot treatments, face masks, even my daily moisturizer is medicated! 

As for the "glow," I fake it with a little bronzer and blush!
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

imageAmyFTM:
    Just curious if this was the experience for anybody else, but my skin has greatly improved throughout this pregnancy. Pre-pregnancy I had mild acne and would get 1-2 pimples maybe once a month (usually during PMS).... "they" say that carrying a girl means you'll end up looking worse since she "steals your beauty" but I don't think that was the case for me. If anything, my skin got much clearer and I always had that pregnancy glow... might just be me imagining things but I think some of my old acne scars have faded as well... (we're talking years-old scars here). Guess I was just one of the lucky ones? Now I'm dreading how bad my skin will get once DD arrives.... bah. And whether it'll revert back to the mild acne I had most of my adult life.

I've had the best skin I've ever had in my life while pregnant.  I, too, am worried about my pre-pregnancy crappy acne coming back. :( 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My skin has become terrible ever since I hit 3rd tri. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I always had acne during my periods... During pregnancy though, man, I wish they could bottle whatever our body produces because My skin is wonderful. I have actually found that if I wash my face every day it gets to dry so I am down to a warm water scrub daily with a real "soap up" 2x a week.

Old wives tale about the girls stealing your beauty. **eye roll**

I also saw a lessening of old scars during my first pregnancy, however some of my freckles got darker.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Birthday
  • Options
    I've always had pretty significant cystic acne due to hormone fluctuations, and I've tried everything (antibiotics, Accutane, etc) and the pill was the only thing to clear it up.  Pregnancy has done wonders for me skin!  I'm having a boy, and since I got pregnant my skin has never looked better.  I'm planning on going back on the pill after LO is born, hopefully my skin won't break out again once my hormone levels drop off.
  • Options
    My skin has also done really great while pregnant.  It was great while on the pill too, but I won't be taking any more hormonal birth control after this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My skin does better with pregnancy as well. That first pimple after Lo is born is strange. I wonder if it has something to do with the vitamins?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker    
  • Options
    Not at all - I've been battling breakouts since 2nd tri.

• Options

I struggle with acne too...I was on a whole bunch of different stuff before getting pregnant, with little success. I didn't have bad adult acne while I was on BCP, but when I went off, my skin went NUTS within a few months.

My skin is fabulous while pregnant. I've had maybe six or eight zits the whole time. I think it's all the progesterone.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Some women's bodies feel better on pregnancy hormones and some don't - it just varies with luck I think but I'm like you - I also used to get PMS breakouts (so embarrassing when i'm not a teenager anymore!) and my skin has totally cleared up during pregnancy. It makes sense though - if it's the pms hormones that induce breakout, you're going 9 months without it, it gives your skin a chance to heal. Also, the human growth hormone might be helping to heal those scars you had.

Enjoy it! And if you'll be BFing, then perhaps you'll have several more break-out free months to look forward to, since you'll probably have delayed returned of periods.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have had very clear skin with both of my pregnancies. The only skin-related issue I have is I have some slight melasma beneath my eyes (slight darkening of the skin). Other than that, clear as a whistle, loving it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Mine's also been tons better! It's really awesome; I feel so much prettier. :)

No idea what'll happen postpartum, though!

---
    ♥ Married since June 2009 ♥
    TW: Living children & Losses:
    Mom of sons "Alpha" (Feb 2012) & "Beta" (May 2016)
    Pregnant after 4 losses via IVF/FET with daughter "Gamma" (EDD Oct 2, 2019)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yes, my skin has looked awesome during pregnancy!  I'm dreading the return of breakouts.  And, I'm carrying a girl.
  • Options
    yea ive been getting compliments about  my skin. i even had this guy tell me i should tell his wife what soap i use to wash my face with LOL i dnt get ANY zits anymore. and like you  mentioned i use to get them right around pms, maybe its just cause i havent had a period for 8 months lol....who knows all i know is im not complaining! ive also gotten ALOT of compliments that im glowing (i dnt see it lol)
  • Options
    I just had a little girl.  My skin was great during the pregnancy.  I will randomly get a pimple every now and again, but during the pregnancy, I don't remember having any.  Also, I usually have dry facial skin, but during the pregnancy, my skin was fine.  I also had a little yeast infection/flaking of the skin problem that cleared up during pregnancy.  Two weeks after giving birth, my skin is back to its pre-pregnancy state=(.
  • Options
    With this pregnancy, yes, mine has gotten better! During my first pregnancy, I was broken out the entire time and after the delivery. I looked awful. Funny thing, I am having another girl this time, so I suppose it doesn't have anything to do with the gender at all, and is just how your body reacts. I've been more sick this time around, but at least my skin looks nice!
  • Options
    Mine was a mess the first trimester, but I constantly felt like a big greaseball anyway between my hair and face.  About half way through the 2nd trimester my hair/skin cleared up.  Usually in the Fall my skin is very dry/flaky, but right now it is better than its ever been.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"