1st Trimester
Options

Hair Appointments while Pregnant

Morning Ladies!

i had a hair appointment yesterday to touch up my roots. now, before i went i looked up whether its safe, being so early in pregnancy, and seen no reason to cancel the appointment. i have come into work today feeling quite judged about going to the appointment pregnant by some fellow co workers. what do you ladies know about this subject and what have you done about it?? have you waited until after first trimester??

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Hair Appointments while Pregnant

• Options
    My doctor told me I am perfectly fine to get highlights whenever I want them (I'm still a little nervous), but I have heard that a full on color is maybe something to refrain from (highlights don't touch your scalp, whereas color does).  If you have concerns, call your doctor and ask.  At this point it's done, and I'm sure you are fine
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    i only have half a head of foils done.. so no dye straight to the scalp.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    oh yea, then you are fine!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

My hairdresser said the only reason why she wouldn't do my hair in first tri is because of the fumes.  That was when I had platinum blonde highlights, and using the strong bleach.  Otherwise, she said I was fine.

FWIW, I have an appointment at my 11 week mark. I'm now brown with medium blonde highlights on top. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am a hairstylist, and I will tell you right now it is 100% completely safe to do your hair in ANY trimester. Highlights, all over color, purple, pink, green, whatever you want to do! The fumes are not going to affect you. How do you think pregnant hairstylist continue in their line of work? And we are exposed to the "fumes" all day 3-5 days a week. Our babies are fine! I've been with and am one of the pregnant women that will continue to work all the way to month 9. You are at no risk! The only reason some people are reluctant to get their hair done while pregnant is because you have so many strong horomones going on, your hair does not normally take the color as well as when not pregnant. For instance, if you have plantinum blonde hair, and you go in to get your new growth done there is a great chance that when you bleach your new growth it will not reach plantinum, it's going to turn pee yellow. Or if you have natural blonde hair and you color your hair dark brown/black it may not reach the level of darkness you were previously able to reach before before pregnant. In both cases resulting in what we call "hot roots".

Hope this helped! (:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My hairdresser will not dye anyone's hair who is pregnant. She said it's not worth the risk. I'm going to stick with her and just go back to my natural color during the pregnancy.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thank you!  You took the words right out of my mouth, I am also a hairdresser and want to let people know if I sit in for 35hrs a week and everyone around me has given birth to healthy happy babies I would not worry about a 2 hr appt every 8 weeks.
  • Options

My midwife and OB said it's completely safe, even full head color.

If someone says something to you about it, tell them you have an OB, who is an expert, and you have taken her expert advice. thank you very much! lol

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My OB said it was completely fine, and I had my hair done every 8 weeks throughout pregnancy. My hairdresser is also pregnant.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

Cooper+Evie=Soulmates

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

My OB said it was fine after the first trimester. I have an appointment next Saturday--my salon is full on organic so they have organic color and even organic nailpolish. A manicure will be on the agenda too..I never smell strong fumes here either..

Caity--good point..

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"