Virginia Babies

Portsmouth Naval Horror Stories

Hi!!

I am new to this board. New Navy wife & mama. Due in April. I had heard some that there were some horror stories about Portsmouth Naval, I was wondering if any had some experience with them...good or bad. I am just curious to know what I am getting myself into.

Re: Portsmouth Naval Horror Stories

• I would love some input on this too. I've heard some bad stuff about PNH too and I'm thinking about transferring to Tricare Standard so I can switch over to Sentara.
  • Hi! I live in Chesapeake and Portsmouth is the closest OB / GYN clinic to us and also where I'll be giving birth. I'm a new mommy, newly wed. Husband was in the Navy but got out few months ago - he's now in the Reserves so we are still under TriCare Prime. I've been to Portsmouth for a prenatal check-up and they were really nice, clean and thorough. I've heard good and bad about Portsmouth, I guess it's a personal thing. But I'm really happy with them! Mrs Chapman sees me at Portsmouth. Good luck :-).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been there as well, and it doesn't seem that bad. The nurses are really sweet and I love Mrs. Chapman.
  • My godson was born at PNHC and was in the NICU for the better part of a month- everything was clean, everyone was nice, curteous and professional (and I practically slept there). My friend loved her experience there.
    "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."- Emily Bronte Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I delivered both of my daughters at NMCP. I have absolutely no complaints about the care that I received. I also heard about so called "horror stories" when I moved here, but I didn't know anyone personally that had any problems. I was also in the delivery room when my sister delivered my nephew at NMCP. My brother in law had nothing but complaints about her stay there, but I witnessed nothing that wouldn't have happened at any other local hospital. I think a lot of people go into the situation of delivering at NMCP with a bad impression just based off of what they have "heard." I am also a nurse and know that there are people that aren't going to happy with the care that they get at *any* hospital. In my opinion, it is an excellent hospital and I look forward to my delivery there again in August.
  • imageschaper04:
    I delivered both of my daughters at NMCP. I have absolutely no complaints about the care that I received. I also heard about so called "horror stories" when I moved here, but I didn't know anyone personally that had any problems. ......there are people that aren't going to happy with the care that they get at *any* hospital. In my opinion, it is an excellent hospital and I look forward to my delivery there again in August.

This, exactly--except for the two daughters part.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went to Langley, but i have heard the same thing about " horror" stories about portsmouth. I think what it is is that you never hear someone going around saying.. I LOVED THAT PLACE, instead people voice their complaints louder.  I have a friend who delivered csection there with her first and they didnt close up the incision right or something other like that and she ended up getting a sever infection due to something they did. thats the only terrible thing i've heard about it though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hey girl! My 23 month old son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes this past Halloween and was taken to the PICU at Portsmouth. They were amazing. He spent a week there (in the PICU and then the Ped's unit.) I went to Langley for my pregnancy with him and, my personal experience, was horrible there. However, I had 4 other friends (all Navy themselves) who went to Langley during the same time period and thought it was great. I think it's all in each womans personal experience. I moved myself to Tricare Standard this time around so I could go to Riverside (where I ended up delivering my 1st as well) but looking back, and knowing how Portsmouth is, I would've stayed Prime and just gotten a referral to Portsmouth rather than be seen at Langley. Keep in mind though, everyones experience is different and it could just be someone didn't like their doctor or their delivery didn't go as they wanted, etc. See if you can go in and meet with them. Good Luck either way!!!
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's just like everywhere else, if you're nice to your nurses, they'll be nice to you
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"