Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Reflux question and Zantac not working anymore

We had LO to the pedi on 10/25.  She diagnosed him with reflux because of his inconsolable crying, projectile vomiting, and painful gas/burping.  He was put on 1ml of Zantac twice a day.

Up until the last 2 days, it was working magically, but the pre-Zantac terror of a baby is slowly returning.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm thinking I need to call the pedi's office tomorrow and either go in or ask for a different prescription.  I hate seeing him so miserable again, especially because I thought we were past this :(

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!

Re: Reflux question and Zantac not working anymore

• Yes! I called my pedi today for the same reason and asked for a new med but she wants us to up the dose for a week and see how it goes. I hope it works :(
  • Ok thanks, I'm definitely going to call.  Hopefully she'll have us try upping the dose or put him on a different med without making me bring him into the office. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker Henry - Born October 1, 2011 Baby #2 - Due August 30, 2013!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, dealing with the same issue here.  I mentioned it last week at our 2 month appt... and the pedi sort of brushed it off like it was normal.  I am going to call again tomorrow because we're going through the same thing and it has been getting progressively worse over the past week.  We've already gone from once a day to twice a day... I am wondering if there is a different prescription that may work better...

Hopefully we both get this figured out!

Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You may just need to increase the dosage.  Ask the doc about that.  When DS was diagnosed with it his zantac prescription was for 6 ml.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours was upped from .6 ml to 1 ml and she gets it twice a day. She said if she is not improving by the end of the week I have to bring her in.
  • DD was on Zantac and for her it was horrendous. They screwed around with her dosage for weeks before I finally demanded something else because it seemed to make her even worse. They had me bring her in but I didn't care- even though I knew what they were going to tell me. They put her on Prevacid and it works great. They also switched her formula to Alimentum... it's like having a completely different baby. Trust your gut and insist to your doctor they give you something else if you don't feel like what they prescribed is working. It was ridiculously stressful but I'm glad I stood my ground and now I have a happy baby! GL :)

• YOu typically need to up the dose as they grow.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My now 8 y.o. DD had HORRIBLE reflux as an infant. Ped put her on zantac, which didn't work. We were referred to a pediatric gastroenterologist, who put her on Prilosec. The problem at the time (I don't know if it comes in liquid now) was it was only in pill form.

We got on a study that provided us with a liquid base that you emptied the granules from the capsule into. The base acted as an element to help baby absorb the medication.
    DD never took a bottle, but she would take the medicine via the medicine dropper.  It was our lifesaver.

She grew out of the reflux beginning around 6 months, was hugely improved and off medication around 9 months, and it was completely gone by one year old. 

Good luck to you, I know how awful it is. 

• Sorry I don't have any tickers up.  DD#2 is 6 weeks and 6 days old today.  She has been on meds for reflux since her 2 week appt.  I first saw symptoms at 1 week old.  I thought at first it was just a dairy sensitivity (I breastfeed).  I saw some improvement in her symptoms, but she was still projectile vomiting daily. 

Her pedi put her on .8 ml of Zantac twice a day.  We saw great improvement for 4 days.  Then, she was as bad as she had been before the meds.  So, we increased to .8 ml twice a day.  Again, she was fine for 4 days.  At her one month visit, the dose was increased to 1 ml twice a day.  We saw the same pattern- fine for 3 days and then the vomiting returned. 

DD's pedi added Prevacid almost a week ago.  She prescribed 2 mls per day, but agreed to let us try only 1 ml for the first week or so.  I had also been drinking carbonated beverages (LaCroix water) and read that the carbonation can affect reflux.  I don't drink any carbonated beverages anymore.  DD has been great since adding the Prevacid and adjusting my diet.  Ask your pedi about Prevacid at your next visit.  It has made a big difference for DD!  GL!  I hope our LOs outgrow this soon!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you so much for all your input!  I have a call into the pedi's office and someone is supposed to call me back shortly to let me know whether she wants to just up the dosage, or wants me to come into the office with him.  Either way, hopefully he'll get some relief (again) soon!
  • We had to up the dose to like 1.25ml as well. But for sure ask first! We battled this for a long time with DS 1. We tried to wean him off and had to put him back on a couple of times. Also, look up colic remedies. They helped us, but he had both... I wish you the best of luck. I remember very vividly what you are going through. I so hope we get a pass on it this time!
  • Yes! We've been on everything. An E.R. Doctor finally explained the differences in the medicines. Zantac and Prevacid only stop one kind of acid. Prilosec stops it all. It shuts down the whole acid cell. Your baby will still have the acids to digest just not as much to cause pain. So ask for a change. The meds might not be targeting the acid your baby is having trouble with (apparently there are 3 different kinds. He named them all but I couldn't tell you!) You can have Prilosec made into a liquid. Just remember to shake it before giving. I've forgotten and it does make a difference!

DD would have one good week on each one then they would just stop working for her. We've gone the longest with Prilosec. Hoping it keeps working. We are also doing thickened formula 3oz every 3 hours. Smaller amounts more often. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"