Toddlers: 24 Months+

Re-Circumcision?????

My son is not 2 yet but I wanted to post this question on this board as well as on the 12-24 board:  Has anyone had to have their son re-circumcised?  I took DS to a pediatric urologist and he recommended having it done.  He said that the dr. didn't take enough skin off in the initial circumcision and now the skin has reattached :(  It breaks my heart to have to put DS through this :(:(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Re-Circumcision?????

• At 18 months, our doctor was telling us to prepare to have to have it done. We asked him if we could do anything and he said if we were diligent about pulling it down at every diaper change and applying vaseline and then at bath time really pulling down good on it then we might have a shot at not having to do that again. It worked and he said it looked great at his check up last week!

But, our son's was due to the way the penis sits (his sinks into his fat around that area) not because there wasn't enough skin taken off. I highly recommend saving for the anesthesia for your son since it is not covered under most insurances. We were not even thinking about doing that to him without it. good luck!!

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
    BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
    BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
    HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
    1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
    U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
    U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

• Loading the player...
  • It's actually not uncommon to have to do this...:-( our DS had a scrotoplasty, which is a little different but also had his circ (they couldn't do it immediately after he was born bc of a defect) at the same time. What he had done was much more involved than a re-circ procedure so I thought I'd share bc the re-circ should be even easier than what we went thru. Basically, I thought it was gonna be awful & I pictured him having insane amounts of pain & being miserable since he was older (13 months.) It was actually pretty easy & he never required anything more than Tylenol for discomfort. He was totally fine the next day, crawling around everywhere & happy. It LOOKED super painful & bruised & swollen but didn't even bother him at all. The worst part was diaper changes & having to look at it! He healed up fast & it looks good now. I would do it as soon as you can, it will only gt harder as he gets older. Good luck!
  • imageemmasue18:

At 18 months, our doctor was telling us to prepare to have to have it done. We asked him if we could do anything and he said if we were diligent about pulling it down at every diaper change and applying vaseline and then at bath time really pulling down good on it then we might have a shot at not having to do that again. It worked and he said it looked great at his check up last week!

But, our son's was due to the way the penis sits (his sinks into his fat around that area) not because there wasn't enough skin taken off. I highly recommend saving for the anesthesia for your son since it is not covered under most insurances. We were not even thinking about doing that to him without it. good luck!!

the pediatric urologist said that he could pull back the extra skin but we are taking more of a risk of infection and pain(longer healing time).  my son lost his "fat pad" awhile ago, so I know that is not the problem.  

I didn't even think about insurance not covering anesthesia!!!  wth........do they want my son to suffer through that surgery awake!

Thank you for sharing your story!  I am def thinking I need to get a second opinion before getting the surgery. 

• imagemcarter127:
    It's actually not uncommon to have to do this...:-( our DS had a scrotoplasty, which is a little different but also had his circ (they couldn't do it immediately after he was born bc of a defect) at the same time. What he had done was much more involved than a re-circ procedure so I thought I'd share bc the re-circ should be even easier than what we went thru. Basically, I thought it was gonna be awful & I pictured him having insane amounts of pain & being miserable since he was older (13 months.) It was actually pretty easy & he never required anything more than Tylenol for discomfort. He was totally fine the next day, crawling around everywhere & happy. It LOOKED super painful & bruised & swollen but didn't even bother him at all. The worst part was diaper changes & having to look at it! He healed up fast & it looks good now. I would do it as soon as you can, it will only gt harder as he gets older. Good luck!

I am finding out that it is more common than I thought.  my pediatric urologist said he does re-circs a lot.  It just boggles my mind, why is it not talked about more in the medical field on ways to prevent this!!!!  My ped kept saying "oh, its fine.  it will fix itself once LO starts walking and looses his "fat pad".  Well, DS has been walking for over a year now and has no fat pad and its still the same!!!! 

Like you said, I want to fix it as soon as possible.  I had to wait 9 months just to see the pediatric urologist and then they can't get him in for surgery until March/April!  

thank you for sharing your sons story!   

• They are common, and definitely do it now, while he's young.  Our friends son had his re-done last year when he was 4.  But honestly I'd do it now before he can even remember.

Our sons was subject to the deductible, so thats probably all you'll have to pay.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No way, no how would I do that until I had tried everything else. Little guy I nanny was redone at 18mos and it was AWFUL. I know because his parents eere only able to take one day off, the day of surgery. Starting the day after i did the majority of his aftercare.

General anesthesia is not w/o risks, which scares the crap outta me (I personally have been under half a dozen times or more, lost count. So it's not a fear of the unknown.). He was narced out for over a week after, and then on Motrin for another week and a half. It took over a year to fully and properly heal because the scar tissue was healing too tight. Instead of separating adhesions with Vaseline (and his were so, so mild) his poor post-op penis had to be taped to his belly to stretch out the scar and prevent him from healing in a curled and crooked position. He's 3 now and FINALLY is "normal". 

Prior to this I was on the fence about circ in general and my DH was adamantly in favor. After watching little fella go through all this after we are both adamantly against it. DH didn't even see any of the complications, he just saw how miserable and in pain he was. I am NOT trying to turn this into a circ debate in the slightest, but if you avoid having him go through having it redone I would. If you th other hinge and thy dot work, you can always opt for surgery then. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"