Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

When did your child reach 35 lbs? 40 lbs?

I was thinking about buying a Cosco Scenera for my mom's car but my daughter is almost 12 months and she is 26 pounds.  The Scenera rear faces until 35 lbs.  And only goes up another 5 lbs for forward facing.  So, yes it's cheap, but I don't know if it is worth it because we might just have to go out and buy another one!  She is big for her age with height too.  At least on the doctor's percentage chart.  Anyways, I'm trying to gauge how long it will take her to reach those weight limits that that car seat has.  In our cars we have Evenflo Symphony 65 e3 carseats and they rear face to 40 lbs and forward to 65, and then they are a booster to 100. Thoughts?  Suggestions?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: When did your child reach 35 lbs? 40 lbs?

• My 4 yr old is only 36 lbs.  The baby is 17.  I have a while. 
  • My 21 month old is only 26 pounds but super tall.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Jack Emmett born on 2/2/10 after 17 cycles and a miscarriage
    Calvin Wyatt born on 1/10/12. Our surprise baby!

EP Facebook Group ~*~ My Baby/Life Blog
  • Loading the player...
  • My 3yr old is 33lbs. I would be more concerned about the height than the weight.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Well, at the moment she has only had to pick her up from daycare once, and we had to do the carseat shuffle.  But, I know when she gets a little older she will actually be staying at my mom's house sometimes.  So that is when I'm more concerned about it.  How old are they when they need just a booster seat?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageQueenNini:
    My 3yr old is 33lbs. I would be more concerned about the height than the weight.

I don't see any height limit ever listed.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Will turned three in August and has yet to break 30 pounds. However, he's always been slow on the growing thing.
    I like privacy. A lot.
  • imageEric&Abby:
    Well, at the moment she has only had to pick her up from daycare once, and we had to do the carseat shuffle.  But, I know when she gets a little older she will actually be staying at my mom's house sometimes.  So that is when I'm more concerned about it.  How old are they when they need just a booster seat?

I looked at this seat for my Mom too. We have 2 Evenflo Triumph 65 car seats, and I didn't want to pay alot to buy a third car seat. I ended up buying a used one for $35. It doesn't expire for 4 years and it's an eddie bauer 3 in 1, great safety ratings, and will go right to a booter so I won't need to buy a new one for my Mom.

I'd look a buying used if you can...I got a better carseat for way less.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DS is almost 4 and only weighs about 33 pounds. I'd say he's only gained about 3-5 pounds in the past year. It really levels off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEric&Abby:

imageQueenNini:
    My 3yr old is 33lbs. I would be more concerned about the height than the weight.

It should have the weight and height info on the specs.

• My 22 month old is 29.5 lbs.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• DS weighed 36lbs at his 4 year well visit. He is in the 50th% for weight.
  • imageEric&Abby:
    Well, at the moment she has only had to pick her up from daycare once, and we had to do the carseat shuffle.  But, I know when she gets a little older she will actually be staying at my mom's house sometimes.  So that is when I'm more concerned about it.  How old are they when they need just a booster seat?

My DD(3yo) is still in a 5pt harness. I don't feel like the booster is safe for her yet. But my niece has been in a booster since she was 3. She's bigger and taller than my DD is.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • It will be quite a while yet.  DD is 23 months and only 25 lbs. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son will be 4 next month and is 31 lbs :)  My DD is 41 lbs and turned 6 in Aug. 

The Scenera is WELL worth the $45 for a spare seat, even if you only use it for 2 years (and you WILL get at least 2 more years out of it, minimum).

The Scenera 40RF from target rear faces to 40 lbs. 

• DD is (almost) 19 months and 22 pounds. She hit the height limit on her infant seat way before she hit the weight limit and I assume she'll do the same with this one. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMandJS:
    imageEric&Abby:

imageQueenNini:

It should be in the manual. But in general, there needs to be at least 1" of space between the top of LOs head and the top of the seat. The height listed is not always accurate because some kids have long torsos (and so grow out of their seats faster) and some have short torsos (and so might be able to stay in the seat longer).

This is the rule for RF. For FF, the child's ears must not be over the top of the seat AND their shoulders must not be over the top harness slot.

To the OP: Children can ride in a booster at a minimum of 4 years AND 40 lbs.  

• DS is 3 (+ 2 months) and is 31lb.  He was ~25lb at a year.  Their growth slows a ton after they turn 1 and become more active.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My 3 year old just hit 30 lbs recently.
  • Ds2 was 2 when he weighed 36 lbs, he is now 3 and 60lbs. DS3 is 23 lbs, he is not as fast with the weight gain as his brother.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • DS just hit 30 pounds.  He hits the height limit way before the weight limit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS1 didn't reach 40 lbs until he was a little over 4. He currently weighs in at 42 lbs.
  • My older son is 3.5 and is almost 40 pounds now, I think he's 50-75% for his age. If it's for a car she won't be in a lot, I'd probably just get it.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• DD is 28lbs at 25 months. We have a Costco Scenera and DD is still rear-facing in it.
  • Ds#1 is 3.5 and he gained only 1 pound between 2 and 3. He was 32lbs at 2 and 33lbs at 3. The weight slows down A LOT.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekenna_4:

imageEric&Abby:

I looked at this seat for my Mom too. We have 2 Evenflo Triumph 65 car seats, and I didn't want to pay alot to buy a third car seat. I ended up buying a used one for $35. It doesn't expire for 4 years and it's an eddie bauer 3 in 1, great safety ratings, and will go right to a booter so I won't need to buy a new one for my Mom.

I'd look a buying used if you can...I got a better carseat for way less.

FWIW, the Eddie Bauer seat is on the Top 10 Worst Boosters list, I am pretty sure. It sucks as a booster.

Also, I would never buy a used seat unless I trust the person with my child's life. Buy a new one, its worth it.

OP: My DD is 3 1/2 and around 30lbs now. My DS is almost 15 months and is probably 25lbs or slightly more. My nephew is the same age as DS and is over 30lbs already.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My DD is tiny, but she is 33lbs at almost 5.5 years. She has only gained 15lbs since she was 12 months old, which was actually a slight bump up on the charts. As the PP have said, their growth slows WAY down.
  • My 2-year-old is 24 lbs, so my guess is she won't reach 35 lbs until...4? 5 maybe?
    Anneliese Olive 11/5/09
    Hazel Dianna 1/8/11
    Luna Valentine 4/25/13

• Ditto the PPs who said weight will slow down a lot. My son gained 4lbs this year. He was 20lbs at 6 months, 23lbs at 12 months, and is 27lbs now.

My son is also way tall, and I'm assuming he'll outgrow the seat before his 3rd birthday. However, he carries all his height in his torso and he's already over 3 feet tall.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSuperCuteBenz:

Also, I would never buy a used seat unless I trust the person with my child's life. Buy a new one, its worth it.

YesYes

however long the night, dawn will break.

• My nieces just reached 36 lbs. One is 4 and the other will be 3 in a month. My DD is only 22 lbs so I'm thinking I still have awhile.
  • My daughter has always been off the charts for height and weight. She was 40 lbs at 3 years old. My son on the other hands definitely smaller and I'm aureus won't reach 35 lbs for a while.
  • DS just hit 30 lbs. DD is 18. Forever from now.
  • I have 5 kids - only 1 of them reached 40 pounds by 4 years old.  My 4-1/2yo is 33 pounds.  My 2-1/2yo is 28 pounds.  My kids tend to be skinnier as far as percentiles on the growth charts. 

• Kids slow down a ton after they hit 12 months.  They only gain 5-8 lbs (I think) from 12-24 months and then about that.  My kids are TINY and my 5.5 year old is only 33lbs.  She was 18 lbs at a year so she gained 25 lbs in 4.5 years - about 5lbs a year.

ETA - We also have two Costco Seneras in DH's car as well as three in my Mom's car in FL.  They're a great back-up seat for smaller kids or just for a year or two.  And you can't beat the price.  They're rated really well for safety, but not as comfy as the more expensive seats.  I wouldn't want to take a long trip with them, but perfect for a back-up seat or a seat in someone else's car.

• DS hit 35 lbs. at 17 months old.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"