Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Two Basic Questions from Soon to be mom

1. I just got all my stuff sorted from the baby shower.  Is it necessary to pre-wash all of the new clothing with baby detergent before he/she wears it for the first time?

2. Lots of people told me, "Oh no, don't register for a bassinet that's a waste of money you'll barely use it."  But, people are telling me that the baby won't sleep in the crib for the first few months because you will want them in the room with you.  So my question is - what should I put in my room for he/she to sleep in?  The pack n play w/ attachment? Papasan swing?or should I have invested in a bassinet after all?

Re: Two Basic Questions from Soon to be mom

• Options
    imagehilly11:

1. I just got all my stuff sorted from the baby shower.  Is it necessary to pre-wash all of the new clothing with baby detergent before he/she wears it for the first time? IMO, yes. The clothes has been handled by many people, has been in a factory, could have residual crap on it, etc. You want it to be clean before it touches your LO's sensitive skin. Also, you don't have to buy "baby detergent" per say, I just use anything that says Free & Clear (free of dyes and perfumes).

2. Lots of people told me, "Oh no, don't register for a bassinet that's a waste of money you'll barely use it."  But, people are telling me that the baby won't sleep in the crib for the first few months because you will want them in the room with you.  So my question is - what should I put in my room for he/she to sleep in?  The pack n play w/ attachment? Papasan swing?or should I have invested in a bassinet after all? This is really up to you and your DH. I never thought my LO would sleep in our room, but he slept in a bassinet at the end of our bed for the first 3 weeks. He now sleeps his nighttime sleep in the crib but naps in his bouncer or swing in the living room. Many people use only the crib, others use a bassinet (or PNP or RNP) in their bedroom.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

1. I'd say clothing definitely needs to be washed for baby's use (I even wash it before my older children wear it for the first time).  As the other poster stated it doesn't have to be baby detergent... could be something else without dyes and perfumes.  I sometimes use Arm & Hammer Sensitive.

2.  Up to you!  I personally don't think a bassinet is worth it since it can only be used up to month 3.  Right now my baby sleeps in my bed with me and I've got a pack & play in the room. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

1. Yes, wash for sure. But I only washed a little at a time. I only washed her newborn stuff first and then started washing her 0-3 once she started getting closer to wearing those. I have not washed her 3-6 yet, but will be soon. I got alot of stuff that could be out of season when she finally gets to wear it, so I may return it if she can't wear it.

2. Agree with PP. It is up to you. I wanted little one with me in the beginning, so she slept in her RNP (rock n play) next to my bed. Now she sleeps in her RNP in her room. I will transistion to crib in a few weeks...maybe. She loves her RNP

• Options
    imagehilly11:

1. I just got all my stuff sorted from the baby shower.  Is it necessary to pre-wash all of the new clothing with baby detergent before he/she wears it for the first time? Yes, there's lots of chemicals on new clothing..don't you wash your clothes before wearing them the first time? same goes for baby.. :)

2. Lots of people told me, "Oh no, don't register for a bassinet that's a waste of money you'll barely use it."  But, people are telling me that the baby won't sleep in the crib for the first few months because you will want them in the room with you.  So my question is - what should I put in my room for he/she to sleep in?  The pack n play w/ attachment? Papasan swing?or should I have invested in a bassinet after all? The pack n play would be good, or buy a rock n play..we LOVE our rock n play.

• Options

Yes, wash everything before it comes in contact w LO - clothes, blankets, towels, sheets, burb cloths, swaddles, etc. 

My LO sleeps in the newborn sleeper attachment of the pack n play. We plan to transition to his crib in the next 4 weeks when he is 10 wks old. 

• Options

1. Yes, I even wash new clothes for myself because I dont like the idea of other people having held them etc.

2. My DD slept in her crib in her own room from day 1 so I didnt use anything else

• Options

I washed everything but regret washing any clothes arent sleepers - its impossible to dress him in anything else since we constantly change him.  If I didnt - I could return stuff.

I would suggest a Rock n Play over bassient.  Babies seem to love them.  Ours sleeps in the RNP over the Pack n Play or Crib.  Plus you can easily move them from room to room.  I didn't think I would be living in our living room, but I am.  It's more convenient than my bedroom right now.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1. Yes, you should wash before putting on LO...HOWEVER, only wash some at a time. I'd start by only washing some newborn sleepers, onesies, etc. A lot of the newborn outfits you will never even use because the first few weeks you probably won't be going out much and LO will spend much of their time in the sleepers.  If you take tags off and wash everything, you won't be able to return clothes that were never worn--and trust me, there will be plenty!

2. We used a bassinet (borrowed) for a couple weeks but he didn't like it very much. My DS has been sleeping in his crib since he was about 3 weeks old. 

• Options
    imagehilly11:

1. I just got all my stuff sorted from the baby shower.  Is it necessary to pre-wash all of the new clothing with baby detergent before he/she wears it for the first time?

I wash all my clothes before wearing them, so I did the same for LO. Don't waste your money on "baby detergent." If you want something that is gentle on sensitive skin, then buy a dye-free/perfume-free detergent. I use detergent, softener, & dryer sheets that are all dye-free/perfume-free.

2. Lots of people told me, "Oh no, don't register for a bassinet that's a waste of money you'll barely use it."  But, people are telling me that the baby won't sleep in the crib for the first few months because you will want them in the room with you.  So my question is - what should I put in my room for he/she to sleep in?  The pack n play w/ attachment? Papasan swing?or should I have invested in a bassinet after all?

This is a personal preference. Not everyone wants their baby to sleep in the room with them. We started with LO in our room, and switched her to her crib at 6 weeks. She was a very noisy sleeper. Once she was in her own room, she slept longer stretches at night and we got better sleep.
    When she was in our room we used the bassinet part of our PNP.

• Options

I washed only the clothing in the size she was wearing. Since LO came early, I hadn't washed her clothing yet and she wore an unwashed outfit home. She was fine.

She sleeps in a pnp.

DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Options

1. I would definitely wash every clothing item before LO wears it. I went through nesting and washed EVERYTHING. We still receive new clothes but I just put those in his closet until it's time for him to wear it (I.E. if it's a  6 month outfit I don't worry about washing them until he can fit it) You don't have to use baby detergent, but you want to be sure it's a sensitive detergent. We just like the 'baby' scent of Purex Baby, and it's only $3.

2. I would say it depends on the baby. I was adamant Josh would sleep in his own room from day 1. However, once he got here, it was just easier to have him in his pack and play in our room. A week later, he decided he only wanted to sleep on me, so he and I slept on the couch. Now, he sleeps in our bed, and we are slowly transitioning to the crib in his own room. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm a FTM too. Here's what we're doing.

1. We're pre-washing everything in a no dye/no perfume detergent. (we use Tide Free) No need to buy a special baby detergent.

2. We skipped the bassinet. We're planning to have the pack & play in our room for at least the first few weeks. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    All of this advice helps SO much - just what I needed to know.  Thanks!!!
  • Options

1. Yes, wash everything. I was told LO would barely wear newborn size, but she wore newborn for atleast a month. It sucked bc I had to wash constantly bc 0-3 was too big. 

2. We have used a bassinet since we brought her home. And will continue to use it until she's too big for it. Or we move, whichever comes first. Also, out bassinet is portable and is a changing table as well.  

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

1. Definitely wash stuff first, but you may only want to wash 1 or 2 newborn outfits and 0-3 outfits until you see how big your baby is. Once you come home, then you can wash more outfits that are more suitable and return anything that doesnt fit. Our little guy lived in a hospital onsie and swaddle blanket the first days home.

2. We were given a mini-cosleeper. He slept in it for the first month and transitioned to the crib in his room after. We still use it for travel and if I need to take a shower and he's hating the swing that day, he'll go in the cosleeper. IMO, that is worth the investment (we travel a  lot on weekends).

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1) Only wash a few favorites.  Mine wore less than half of what we got and keeping the tags on is great for giving them away or consigning them.

2) I LOVE our kolcraft basinett... It vibrates and puts DS right to sleep.  He's slept in it for 3 months... Get one if you want it!  I'm sure you have a ton of giftcards now.  :) 

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
  • Options

1. I washed the clothes that he would wear right away. I didn't want to wash things he wouldn't wear for six months and then have to wash them again because they would smell dusty when he is old enough to wear them.

2. The baby doesn't care what room they are in. At first the baby won't even know what room they're in. Register for / buy a Rock n Play. Even if the baby doesn't sleep in it, it is a great place for your LO to hang out while you're working around the house before they're old enough to play on their activuity mat. DS sits in his Rock n Play in the middle of the kitchen and watches me cook dinner every night.

DS started sleeping in his Rock n Play at 5 weeks and has STTN since. We were doing 2-3 hours stretches in the crib up until then. 

• Options
    I use the rock and play fo my LO to sleep in, works great and less expensive.
  • Options

Wash before baby wears, but like others said, don't wash everything.  My LO was out of NB clothes by a week and a half, and is outgrowing 0-3mo at 6 weeks.  We have a lot that he never wore, and the stuff with tags I will try to return, or save for gifts.

I got a Rock N Play and a Pack N Play, both with the intention that DS would sleep in our room for quite a while after birth.  That lasted about two weeks.  He is way too noisy.  He is still using the RNP, but we've moved him into his own room.  In retrospect, I wish we would have used the crib from day 1 (although we still love the RNP for "hanging out" during the day, and it works great for overnight trips to gramma's house).

TTC #1 for 4 years with every trick in the book. IVF in October 2010= BFN
    Elliott Michael born 9/22/11
    Audrey Pauline 9/13/15
  • Options
    imagehilly11:

I washed everything...but that's just me! 

We've put LO in the crib since we came home with her.  At first she didn't like to sleep in it very long...but she's really coming around to it.  It's not a problem for us since her nursery is right across from our bedroom and I can hear her easily with the monitor and even when the monitor decides to get a dead battery on me and die in the middle of the night!  I've heard a lot of people though who swear by having the baby in their room.  So, it's totally up to you, but I just wanted to let you know a crib in LO's room is totally do-able! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    1. I washed all the nb and 0-3 month clothes before LBB was born so they were all ready to go for him.  I still haven't washed the bigger clothes and kept the tags on because I don't know if they'll be weather appropriate when he fits in them.  He's 5 weeks and still in nb sizes.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    1. Wash her clothes. I use tide free and clear.
    2. LO sleeps in the newborn attachment for the pack n play on my side of the bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"