Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Late afternoon/early evening naps - thoughts?

LO has to take an afternoon nap otherwise he's a mess all night. Sometimes I can get him down at 4pm, other times it doesn't happen till later - was a little after 6pm tonight. It's now 8:30 and he's still asleep. The last time he did this I went in and woke him up at 9pm, fed and changed him, and he went back down without issue at 10 and slept about 5 hours (not sttn yet). I have to admit I don't hate it because it gives me a nice chunk of time for dinner with dh. Anyone else's lo have a pattern like this with late naps? Could this be bad for reasons I'm not seeing?
July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Re: Late afternoon/early evening naps - thoughts?

• Options

If I can get DS to sleep during that time, I'm more than happy to let him sleep. That's usually his fussy time of day. Naps around that time are very rare.

He doesn't usually sleep more than 5.5 - 6 hours, and he doesn't have a bedtime (though I almost always start his bedtime routine betewen 7-7:30).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

DH and DS are both sleeping right now. If they aren't awake by 9:30 I am going to insist its bath time so we can still be on our nighttime "schedule". And by schedule I just mean he gets a bath, nurses and goes to sleep.

DS usually takes a later snooze. I dont see anything wrong with it... yet. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I let LO sleep whenever she  wants at this point. No matter when she takes a nap, we always do her bedtime routine at 8pm. For example, LO fell asleep this evening at 7pm, so I let her sleep until 8, woke her up & gave her a bath, then she had her bottle and now she's in bed for the night.
  • Options

I don't think it's bad at all!

DS has a big nap in the morning, another big one earlier in the afternoon, a short one later in the afternoon (between 4-5:30) and another short one between 6-7pm. He needs those last naps. If he is not managing to fall asleep for that last nap, I will usually take him out for a walk so that he'll sleep.

If he doesn't get that last nap, I know I have to brace myself for a difficult evening. He will be super cranky, incredibly hard to put down for the night (we put him down between 7:30-8) and he won't sleep as well in the night.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD is only up for an hour or maybe an hour and 15 min at a time, so she always takes an evening nap.  We try to get her down around 7-7:30pm.  If it is 8pm or later, it kinda messes up bedtime b/c we start the bedtime routine at 9pm.  So we will keep her up longer, it just makes her fussy that last little bit she's awake, but either way, she goes down well for the night.

• Options
    Sounds about right.  It gives me time to have dinner and get my other two kiddies to bed before having to feed him again.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    DD had to take an evening nap until she was about 1. We would have to put her down as soon as we got her home from day care, wake her for dinner around 6:30 and get her back to bed by 7ish so she could get her 12 hours of beauty rest. It was never am issue, she eventually dropped the nap and she is still a great sleeper. I wish I could get DS to sleep at all in the evenings. Right now it is a battle from 4-9:30 and them he just shuts off after his 9:30 feeding. I am probably going to regret typing that.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageludicrous:
    DD had to take an evening nap until she was about 1. We would have to put her down as soon as we got her home from day care, wake her for dinner around 6:30 and get her back to bed by 7ish so she could get her 12 hours of beauty rest. It was never am issue, she eventually dropped the nap and she is still a great sleeper. I wish I could get DS to sleep at all in the evenings. Right now it is a battle from 4-9:30 and them he just shuts off after his 9:30 feeding. I am probably going to regret typing that.
    Nobody saw or heard anything.
    July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• Options
    My LO was sleeping around the clock at that age...she is now taking perfectly timed 1 hr naps and still is ready for nighty night at 7pm...I wouldn't worry. With infants Sleep begets more sleep!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I have DS take an evening nap as well for the same reasons you mentioned. It makes a big difference in his temperament before and during bedtime.
  • Options
    My LO refuses to sleep on his own after 5 p.m., but he can't stay up all that time until bedtime or he's a total wreck and it's really hard to put him to sleep. So I've been putting him in the Ergo around 6-6:15... he sleeps in there for 45 minutes until 7 and then has an hour of awake time before bed at 8. SO much better than trying to keep him up! 
  • Options
    DD always falls asleep in the evening. Sometimes it's just a short nap, sometimes it's a couple hours but she always has a bottle sometime between 9 & 10pm then goes to bed around 10 and sleeps close to 12 hours!
    image imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"