December 2010 Moms
Options

Shared gifts for siblings?

My cousin has three boys:  almost 2, almost 3, and 4 1/2.  I'm trying to figure out what to get them for Christmas.  Would it be awful to get one LeapFrog Tag Junior reader, plus some of the books, and have that be the gift for all of them?  That means they'd have to share.  Or is that a faux pas?

I normally would just get them each a stand alone gift like toys or clothes, but now that I have a kid and am thinking like a mom... I don't think they need more toys or clothes because they can pass them down from the oldest to the middle to the youngest brother.  And I know they already have a lot of toys.

Experienced moms - what do you prefer?  Shared gifts or individual gifts?

FWIW, they share sometimes, but occasionally fight over toys.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shared gifts for siblings?

• Options
    Being one of four kids, I can say that its always hard to share a cool gift like that. I think that its an awesome present, but especially at that age would be difficult. If you've got your heart set on it, maybe buy the reader for "the family," but buy books specifically for each of them (age and interest appropriate).

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options

imageOhSewCrafty:
    Being one of four kids, I can say that its always hard to share a cool gift like that. I think that its an awesome present, but especially at that age would be difficult. If you've got your heart set on it, maybe buy the reader for "the family," but buy books specifically for each of them (age and interest appropriate).

Thanks, OSC!  I thought about that too... but if it's hard to share the reader, that doesn't really help that, does it? 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelulu8109:

imageOhSewCrafty:

Thanks, OSC!  I thought about that too... but if it's hard to share the reader, that doesn't really help that, does it? 

I would double check with the parents. If they're okay with monitoring the sharing, then I'd go for it. If they're like, ehhhh....find something else. My siblings and I got a Sega Genesis (geeze, I sound old) for Christmas one year and it was a gift for the whole family, but we each got our own games. My parents made sure we took turns and/or played together as a family and it worked out pretty well.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

• Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    imagelulu8109:

imageOhSewCrafty:

I would double check with the parents. If they're okay with monitoring the sharing, then I'd go for it. If they're like, ehhhh....find something else. My siblings and I got a Sega Genesis (geeze, I sound old) for Christmas one year and it was a gift for the whole family, but we each got our own games. My parents made sure we took turns and/or played together as a family and it worked out pretty well.

Thanks, OSC!  And LOL to the Sega Genesis comment =P  It's ok, I think we're about the same age, haha.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I agree with OSC. I think it would be okay as long as they got something that was their own. Also, I think it would probably look better if the total gift cost around what the sum of individual gifts would have been (so it doesn't look like you shorted them, ya know?)... not that money is the most important thing, though.
  • Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    imagelulu8109:

imageOhSewCrafty:

I had one of these too!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

This only worked in my house growing up with things that could be used at the same time. We got an NES one Christmas, but since many games were 2 player it wasn't an issue since there were only 2 of us.

Another year our parents got us a basketball hoop which was the worst gift ever for me...I hate sports and am horribly unathletic. It was really for my younger brother, so that totally sucked. And it was a b-day gift (our birthdays are one day apart) so I already felt like those days were combined enough. Combining the gift and it being something I would not use (especially as a 12 year old girl) was just not cool.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options
    imageSonadora:

This only worked in my house growing up with things that could be used at the same time. We got an NES one Christmas, but since many games were 2 player it wasn't an issue since there were only 2 of us.

Another year our parents got us a basketball hoop which was the worst gift ever for me...I hate sports and am horribly unathletic. It was really for my younger brother, so that totally sucked. And it was a b-day gift (our birthdays are one day apart) so I already felt like those days were combined enough. Combining the gift and it being something I would not use (especially as a 12 year old girl) was just not cool.

I feel ya on that one. My parents got "us" a new swing set when I was 13. My siblings were 11, 9, and 3. Guess who was pissed off. lol

• Options
    Can you maybe spend a little less money and get something smaller for each? It's tough to get a gift that a 4.5 y.o. can share with a 2 y.o.  Plus, I don't know any kids in that age group that want to share anything, let alone a gift!
  • Options

Haha, guess my idea was just horrible.  I will get them each a separate gift.  It wasn't about saving money, but being more practical.  I guess Christmas gifts for kids are NOT the time to be practical, haha.

Thanks for the feedback ladies!  I really appreciate it.  Good thing I asked before doing it.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    imageSonadora:

I feel ya on that one. My parents got "us" a new swing set when I was 13. My siblings were 11, 9, and 3. Guess who was pissed off. lol

I'd say everyone but the 3 year old...So really your parents got the 3 year old a gift and the rest of you got the shaft!

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

• Options

If they are anything like my kids they will fight over it at first, but once the newness wears off they'll be fine.  I have 5 kids - and I give my kids shared gifts sometimes and always prefer less gifts over gifts for each child.  There is only so much space in my house for toys. 

Sounds like a nice gift to me - I would say go for it and try to get a book for each one of them that you think would interest them.

• Options

i have 2 siblings and would've hated to share with them.  im sure we would've fought and driven my parents crazy.  i totally get that you want to be practical too though.

i was looking at this kiddie instrument set for DHs cousins kids (1.5, 4 and 5).  it comes with a guitar, drums and piano.  that way they can play together or switch instruments but still each have their own thing.

• Options
    imagesmithpaint:

If they are anything like my kids they will fight over it at first, but once the newness wears off they'll be fine.  I have 5 kids - and I give my kids shared gifts sometimes and always prefer less gifts over gifts for each child.  There is only so much space in my house for toys. 

Sounds like a nice gift to me - I would say go for it and try to get a book for each one of them that you think would interest them.

This is what I was thinking!  My cousin has a smaller house and her living room is filled to the brim with toys... But I guess this is the mom point of view and the kids might not always enjoy it.  Thanks for your input.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagexxbabycakesxx:

i have 2 siblings and would've hated to share with them.  im sure we would've fought and driven my parents crazy.  i totally get that you want to be practical too though.

i was looking at this kiddie instrument set for DHs cousins kids (1.5, 4 and 5).  it comes with a guitar, drums and piano.  that way they can play together or switch instruments but still each have their own thing.

That actually sounds like a great gift!  Who makes that?

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

I think a shared gift is a great idea, but I agree with PPs that it would be easier if it's something they can use at the same time. 

Since you said they're 3 boys, what about something like a train set or something they can use outside like a sports set? One year I gave my sister's 3 kids a soccer goal (they all play, though, I don't know if your nephews do).  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"