3rd Trimester

epidural question....

I was talking to a friend at lunch today and we had managed to get on the topic of if I was wanting an epidural or not, and at the moment I do (first time mom, dont know what my other options are, since I havent taken any birthing classes yet, they are later this week) but when she showed me on her back where they had given her her epidural, it got me thinking. I have a cyst on my lower spine, and am not sure if I would even be able to have an epidural because of it! Thankfully she brought the subject up, because I havent ever worried about the cyst (and here lately with my brain being mush, I almost forgot about it!) since it was small and didnt ever flare up too much unless I stopped being active...

Anyone know around where they give it to you, like what spine number?

Re: epidural question....

•  

I'm a FTM, so I couldn't tell you. 

Definitely something you should talk to your doc about!

• Here's some info, but I would talk to your doc about it at your next visit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidural 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Def. talk to your doc about it and they can advise you depending on the position of the cyst, they put the epi in pretty high up if I remember right, but with it being there, you might want to chat it over with them so there are no surprises in that regard.

The birth classes here were such that they only discussed "going natural" and didn't have a rational based discussion of pain control meds during L&D to the point that they do a dis-service to Moms because they go in unprepared for what options there are besides an epi.  The best thing to do is go with the flow and follow the lead of the nurses/docs who are there in the trenches every day, sometimes all you need is a little "don't care about the pain" vs. completely blocking the pain...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some won't give an epidural even if you have a tattoo on your lower spine.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Talk to your doctor.  I have scoliosis and they had me do a pre-op with the anastegeologist (sp).  They checked my spine and said I should be fine and I had no issues. 

• Like others have said.....I would talk to your Dr.  I don't know what number they used on my spine but it was about belly button level, so if you draw a line at my belly button and go around towards my back is where it was.  I was numb from right below my breasts to maybe mid thigh.  I could still move my legs but they felt heavy....I did no walking and required a catheter (fun times! Big Smile )
  • They usually do them below L2 because that is about where the spinal cord ends.
    TTC Since Oct 08 BFP #1- 1/23/09, missed m/c 2/26/09 BFP #2- 9/8/09, natural m/c 9/16/09 BFP #3- 4/13/10, missed m/c 5/26/10 BFP #4- 4/6/11 beta#1 at 12dpo-133 prog-55.7, beta#2 at 16dpo- 861 DD born 12/8/2011 BFP#5- 11/23/12 EDD 7/25/13 Dx- Uterine septum (removed Aug 2010), endo, MTHFR C677t hetero, Factor II hetero, Low Protein S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"