Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

What winter gear combo for a one year old in COLD climate?

I'm kind of feeling like we're going to end up with a bunch of different pieces of winter gear to mix and match because of all the issues with not being able to wear a snowsuit/winter coat in a car seat, etc.

Any advice so I'm not overbuying but also getting what DS needs before it's sold out??

Here's what I'm thinking I might have to get, but I'd love to find a way to par down since this is gonna cost a bundle!

1) One piece bunting style snowsuit -- Pantagonia Puffball seems to be the only one thin enough to use in a car seat and most of the winter it's way too cold to be taking him out of a snowsuit before putting him in the car seat... not to mention how difficult that would be with a squirmy toddler! I know that we gotta have a full snowsuit for playing in the snow, plus on quick car trips when the car doesn't have time to warm up.

2) Winter coat or fleece jacket that's easy to remove before putting DS in his carseat (for longer trips when he'd be too hot wearing a full snowsuit in the car, but still needs to be warm).

3) One piece fleece suit for those in between days when I know he will be out with us but not playing in the snow and I don't want him to be over-heating in a full snow suit.  

4) Boots -- pretty set on the Stonz Wear booties because he's not quite walking yet and they seem like the only ones that are soft, flexible and would actually stay on his feet.

5) Hat/mitts 

6) Footie jammies to wear underneath so there's no openings for cold to get to his skin and no riding up when layering.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
- Robert Munsch

Re: What winter gear combo for a one year old in COLD climate?

• Options
    You got me beat. I was just going to dress her in long sleeve onesies, long sleeve shirts, pants and a jacket to go back and forth to the car, and hat/mittens. And a snowsuit for playing outside.
    Photobucket
  • Options

imagerawrandstuffx10:
    You got me beat. I was just going to dress her in long sleeve onesies, long sleeve shirts, pants and a jacket to go back and forth to the car, and hat/mittens. And a snowsuit for playing outside.

Yea it gets mighty cold here... so I might be over thinking this... haha Hence my post! 

I'll love you forever,
    - Robert Munsch
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DD will wear a onesie, long sleeve shirt or sweater, pants, socks, boots, hat, and mitts.

If she's playing outside she'll wear a parka and snow pants. In the car means a thinner jacket and possibly a blanket. 

I'm in Ontario too, and I really don't think I'll need much more than this, even with a squirmy, walking one year old, and car seat issues.

• Options
    imageUnder.the.Rose:

imagerawrandstuffx10:

Yea it gets mighty cold here... so I might be over thinking this... haha Hence my post! 

IMO, VA gets really cold too. Maybe thats because I've never been anywhere else in the winter time. Where are you at?

Maybe to cut down on costs you could dress LO warmly (long sleeves, pants, jacket, hat, etc) and wrap a blanket around to get back and forth to the car? I was thinking of doing this too, and probably will for most mornings. Its just too much to get a jacket on/off everytime we get out of the car- daycare is 10 mins away, so IMO its a waste of time. Blankets are cheaper and easier.

Photobucket
  • Options

It gets pretty cold here and we don't park in a garage.  Here is what we had last year (and this year).

1. Puffy jacket/snow pants for playing outside

2. Thin jacket for the car

3. Thick blanket for the car

4. Boots- the warm kind with fur at the ankles and plenty of room for thick socks

5.  Warm hat and mittens (we had the thumbless kind last year, we'll get normal mittens this year)

We never put her in the car with her snow suit on and she was fine.  We just tried to warm up the car for a little bit before we brought her out.  If that wasn't possible, then we just tried to get her in her seat and under the blanket as fast as possible.  She always wore her hat and mittens.  

When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. - Harry, "When Harry Met Sally" Planning Bio
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageUnder.the.Rose:

1) One piece bunting style snowsuit -- Pantagonia Puffball seems to be the only one thin enough to use in a car seat and most of the winter it's way too cold to be taking him out of a snowsuit before putting him in the car seat... not to mention how difficult that would be with a squirmy toddler! I know that we gotta have a full snowsuit for playing in the snow, plus on quick car trips when the car doesn't have time to warm up.

2) Winter coat or fleece jacket that's easy to remove before putting DS in his carseat (for longer trips when he'd be too hot wearing a full snowsuit in the car, but still needs to be warm).

3) One piece fleece suit for those in between days when I know he will be out with us but not playing in the snow and I don't want him to be over-heating in a full snow suit.

Maybe I'm too tired and not reading properly or thinking clearly, but I keep looking at this and it looks like over-kill to me. If you're getting a thin snow suit for the car (#1) why would you need a second coat or a fleece jacket to remove before putting him in the car seat (#2)? Then again if you are buying a coat or fleece (#2) then why do you need something for the in-between days (#3)?

• Options
    imagerawrandstuffx10:
    imageUnder.the.Rose:

imagerawrandstuffx10:

IMO, VA gets really cold too. Maybe thats because I've never been anywhere else in the winter time. Where are you at?

Maybe to cut down on costs you could dress LO warmly (long sleeves, pants, jacket, hat, etc) and wrap a blanket around to get back and forth to the car? I was thinking of doing this too, and probably will for most mornings. Its just too much to get a jacket on/off everytime we get out of the car- daycare is 10 mins away, so IMO its a waste of time. Blankets are cheaper and easier.

London, Ontario -- we get a lot of cold and snow from off the Great Lakes :P

I agree that the blanket option is probably best for quick trips, etc. and just layering his clothes.

It was so much easier when he was a newborn last winter and we never had to take him out of his carseat when we were out!  

I'll love you forever,
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    imagehopkins5:

DD will wear a onesie, long sleeve shirt or sweater, pants, socks, boots, hat, and mitts.

If she's playing outside she'll wear a parka and snow pants. In the car means a thinner jacket and possibly a blanket. 

I'm in Ontario too, and I really don't think I'll need much more than this, even with a squirmy, walking one year old, and car seat issues.

Ottawa has it pretty rough in the winter, worse than London usually! Just wondering what made you opt for parka/snowpants vs a one piece?  

I'll love you forever,
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    imagehopkins5:
    imageUnder.the.Rose:

Maybe I'm too tired and not reading properly or thinking clearly, but I keep looking at this and it looks like over-kill to me. If you're getting a thin snow suit for the car (#1) why would you need a second coat or a fleece jacket to remove before putting him in the car seat (#2)? Then again if you are buying a coat or fleece (#2) then why do you need something for the in-between days (#3)?

Yea it's probably overkill, I agree. I just wasn't sure how to manage those times when he'd be way too hot in a snowsuit in the car... I guess either just layers and blankets or the one piece fleece would be the best way to go and just skip the jacket altogether.  

I'll love you forever,
    - Robert Munsch
  • Options
    imageUnder.the.Rose:
    imagehopkins5:

Ottawa has it pretty rough in the winter, worse than London usually! Just wondering what made you opt for parka/snowpants vs a one piece?  

I'm not in Ontario, but I am in northern AB so we get the cold as well.  I see your son is just a year, but he will likely be walking soon and we found last year that once our daughter started walking the one piece was really really hard for her to get around in.  Also, most one pieces come with booties and you can't fit boots underneath them so their feet get really really cold.  I would really recommend a two piece snowpants and jacket, just make sure the snowpants are the overall type.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Options

imageUnder.the.Rose:

She's walking, so there's no question for me. One piece is more awkward to get on a squirmy toddler IMO and they usually come with crappy little booties that don't actually keep feet warm. Snow pants will not be fun for me to get on her (I've tried already, just for fun) but c'est la vie. At least she'll be warm and able to move freely.

• Options

I'd start with some Icebreaker Merino for a base layer. And some socks too. Merino is going to help regulate his temperature so he won't get too hot in the car but will also stay warm while out in the cold. It's lovely and breathable too so he won't get sweaty.

https://www.icebreaker.com/Boys-%281-4%29/boys-1-4,en,sc.html

Then you could get something like this...
    https://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-lil-snuggler-down-bunting-infant-boys
    ...a goose down suit, goose down compresses really well so in theory you should be able to strap him into the car seat safely, though you should definitely test the theory before removing the tags!

But probably the better option would be these pants
    https://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-snowdrift-insulated-bib-pant-toddler-boys

and this jacket
    https://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-moondoggy-reversible-down-jacket-toddler-boys

That way, on the really cold days he can wear the pants and jacket together but on milder days he can just wear the jacket.

When you pop him in the car seat, open the jacket, put his arms through and each side of the jacket through. Then fasten the straps and make sure they're right against his body without the jacket in the way. Tighten them up nice and tight, then zip the jacket closed OVER the tightened straps.

imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm in upstate NY, and we can have stretches below 0F for days or weeks on end. My strategy for car trips and shopping days is layering--LS shirt (onesie for super-cold days), sweatshirt/sweater/fleece, and a fleece jacket with windproof covering along with hat, gloves and warm socks/shoes. this way we can undo parts of the outfit once we get indoors.  If it's super cold, we can always throw a blanket on top of the stroller. Then we have the puffy jacket and snowsuit for outdoor time. I agree, it is hard to find boots that are somewhat flexible for new walkers (though we'll probably go with something from Target--sorry I know it's not an option in Canada..)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

- Patagonia Puffball snowsuit - we also have an extra snowsuit in each car in case of an emergency.

- North Face Denali Fleece

- North Face Perrito Coat

- Boots -  he has Uggs, but we'll probably pick up a pair of Stonz also(he's not walking).

- Hats - too many to count - every animal/sports team under the sun. 

- Mittens - we have one black fleece pair but I'm on the hunt for something warmer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't have any wardrobe advice but wanted to give the Puffball a good review. I got one for my 2yo niece last Christmas and she loved it and wore it to death all over Northern Indiana (where she lives) and the Italian Alps (visiting her counsins). It doesn't have booties, is very warm, and is thin/very compressible for car seats.
    image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imagehopkins5:

If she's playing outside she'll wear a parka and snow pants. In the car means a thinner jacket and possibly a blanket

This.

I'm in Ottawa too and I've got DD a 2 piece snowsuit (3-way jacket and bib style snowpants from The Children's Place that I got at a local consignment shop) for playing outside, a medium weight fleece jacket with attached flip down mitts on it (Columbia) for the car, a fleece hat and mitts, plus I have tons of warm blankets to use in the car.  I haven't picked up her boots yet but I'm thinking of the Stonz ones too with the Sherpa liners since they seem to be the best ones out there for infants/toddlers.

I have a garage so I'm not too worried about going from the house to the car in only the fleece jacket and a blanket.

Hey hopkins, where in Ottawa are you?  I'm in the west.

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Remember that once you're in the car, even if the snowsuit isnt too thick, it can be too HOT. And truthfully, I've seen the Puffball and even though it has "compressible" insulation, it is almost always too thick for the car seat.  We used fleece only in the car seats and the kids are always comfortable, even when it's well below 0. 

I'm in MN and temps are regularly in the negatives during the winter. For the car, I would buy a fleece suit. That's typically the thickest you can go. For to and from the car, have a jacket- you just pop it on and off for easy in and out of the seat. After they're buckled in, you can even put it on them backwards - over the straps- for extra warmth.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I do it every day in the winter with two kids and it only takes a few moments more than not doing it. Then they're warm enough in the seat without being hot, and they can be warm out of the car, too. 

Then, if you want to  or plan to play outside a lot, get the Patagonia Puffball for outdoor activities.

HTH!

• Options

imagekmawb:
    Hey hopkins, where in Ottawa are you?  I'm in the west.

I lived in Nepean for four years while I did my undergrad at CU. I moved back to my home town last year, which is half way between there and Toronto. We visit there often. I was just on campus this past weekend writing exams!

• Options
    I am a bit late to this post, but I am planning to use a snowsuit for outdoor play, and just use a fleece one piece suit for to and from the car.  The only problem is that I haven't seen any fleece one piece suits this year.  Last year I got one at Old Navy, but no luck so far this year.  I have tried Old Navy, Bonnie Togs, Children's Place and Gymboree.  Has anyone seen the fleece one pieces yet?  TIA
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"