Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Trick or treating- Outsiders in your neighborhood.....

what do you think about kids from another neighborhood coming into your neighbohood to trick or treat?

I'n not talking, crossing the next neighborhood close to you. I mean parents driving over from other sides of town unloading their truck of 10+kids, mostly older and barely in a costume.

This was my first time trick or treating with ds and while we started early, boy did it get crowded fast.

The streets were packed with people dropping off truckloads of kids,parents doing drive by trick or treating, and rude kids pushing over my 3 yr old.

It was really annoying!!! WTF.. why do you have to come to my quiet neighborhood and cluster it all up. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Trick or treating- Outsiders in your neighborhood.....

• We had a couple of parents following their kiddos around in a golf cart today.  I thought that was a great example for the children, seeing that their parents didn't want to do the walking to get treats, that they just drove to each house.  

I guess I don't mind as much as I previously thought I would.  I kept thinking today, what if those kids come from a neighborhood where no one gives out candy?  What if they went trick or treating and either no one answered or cared to have candy there?  How sad would that be for those children who really wanted to enjoy the holiday?  I gave out candy because I like the idea of halloween, the fun part of it, and I guess to me it doesn't matter where the kids come from that I am giving candy to.  Also, I think all kids are kids, even the high schoolers we had come around, it doesn't bother me.  They're still young to me and if they get a year or more of their youth to enjoy I say they should enjoy it before all the responsibility kicks in...

(Again though, we didn't GO trick or treating, we just had DS in his costume and handed out candy) 

• Meh, I think kids are free to trick or treat in any neighborhood they want. It's only one night a year. I grew up in a snowy, secluded neighborhood though, so we sometimes drove to the nearest suburb to trick or treat.
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Older kids with no costume had to do a dance or a song, other than that, who cares where the kids come from? Like PP said, what if they come from a neighborhood where no candy is handed out? Personally, I liked having the parents driving around with their kids, there have been two kidnappings in my area this past month, so cops were out too. (Im talking like 10+ driving around the neighborhood)
    Photobucket
  • This happens in my neighborhood too, and I don't really mind it. 
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We grew up in the middle of nowhere too, so we went to the nearest city to trick or treat. I honestly think its fun to see tons of people out, although it should never get rowdy. No costumes is not cool..but like PP said, I dont want to get tp'ed!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I guess I just never was a halloween person growing up. We didnt trick or treat often. So I realize I'm a bit of a halloween grinch. But, I just miss the old days. It used to be about dressing up and seeing your neighbors and interacting. Everyone is so busy halloween is a good night to get out and socialize.Now its a contest to who can get the most/best candy.  Now laziness has taken over (the drive bys). If you live in a rural area, I get it. But If you just go to another nieghborhood for better candy or any candy, there are plenty of festivals and community trick or treating events.

It just makes it not fun for us anymore when we have to fight other people.

I guess next year I'll stay home or take the kids to a movie or festival.

Sucks everyone else ruins it.

• imageSarahTx5701:

I guess I just never was a halloween person growing up. We didnt trick or treat often. So I realize I'm a bit of a halloween grinch. But, I just miss the old days. It used to be about dressing up and seeing your neighbors and interacting. Everyone is so busy halloween is a good night to get out and socialize.Now its a contest to who can get the most/best candy.  Now laziness has taken over (the drive bys). If you live in a rural area, I get it. But If you just go to another nieghborhood for better candy or any candy, there are plenty of festivals and community trick or treating events.

I think your taking this too seriously. 

Photobucket
  • imagerawrandstuffx10:
    imageSarahTx5701:

I guess I just never was a halloween person growing up. We didnt trick or treat often. So I realize I'm a bit of a halloween grinch. But, I just miss the old days. It used to be about dressing up and seeing your neighbors and interacting. Everyone is so busy halloween is a good night to get out and socialize.Now its a contest to who can get the most/best candy.  Now laziness has taken over (the drive bys). If you live in a rural area, I get it. But If you just go to another nieghborhood for better candy or any candy, there are plenty of festivals and community trick or treating events.

well I guess I just have a chip on my shoulder. When my mom asked a woman if they were new she started barking at us that "we're all one country, I called the police and they said its not illegal to trick or treat in another neighborhood" Um who even told her to call the police? and did you seriously tie up their phone lines to ask them such a stupid question?!

She got all defensive right off the bat. Why not just say "oh I'm from blah, but no one in my neighborhood trick or treats these days"  or something. GAH. She was just a royal biznatch.  I'm just all kinds of annoyed. sorry to rant here. It was just a reminder of why I'm really not a fan of halloween. 

blah...sorry ya'll. Just annoyed.  I'm off to bed. 

• imageSarahTx5701:

I just miss the old days. It used to be about dressing up and seeing your neighbors and interacting. Everyone is so busy halloween is a good night to get out and socialize.Now its a contest to who can get the most/best candy. 

Hmmm...the getting the most/best candy was always our goal growing up in the "old days".  We did every single neighborhood in our town (not a big town).  We literally started right after school so we could get the whole town done.  Then we would dump out candy bags, count the pieces we had, compare what we got, trade, etc.  It was always about the costumes and candy.  Oh, and the scariest decorated houses.  But mostly the candy.

• Maybe they aren't safe TOTing in their neighborhood. It never bothers me.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • imageSarahTx5701:
    imagerawrandstuffx10:
    imageSarahTx5701:

well I guess I just have a chip on my shoulder. When my mom asked a woman if they were new she started barking at us that "we're all one country, I called the police and they said its not illegal to trick or treat in another neighborhood" Um who even told her to call the police? and did you seriously tie up their phone lines to ask them such a stupid question?!

She got all defensive right off the bat. Why not just say "oh I'm from blah, but no one in my neighborhood trick or treats these days"  or something. GAH. She was just a royal biznatch.  I'm just all kinds of annoyed. sorry to rant here. It was just a reminder of why I'm really not a fan of halloween. 

That might annoy me- no candy for her. But people are rude. When I was asked if I was new to the neighborhood by a creepy old guy- I told him no. He then wanted to know where I lived/etc. It was wierd, and the entire time, he stared at C and kept wanting to know her name/age/and everything else about her.  Maybe I'm crazy- but when people ask where I live when im trick or treating, I dont tell, just thank them for the candy and go on.

Photobucket
  • imageGhostMonkey:
    imagej_luvs_r:
    imageSarahTx5701:

I just miss the old days. It used to be about dressing up and seeing your neighbors and interacting. Everyone is so busy halloween is a good night to get out and socialize.Now its a contest to who can get the most/best candy. 

Hmmm...the getting the most/best candy was always our goal growing up in the "old days".  We did every single neighborhood in our town (not a big town).  We literally started right after school so we could get the whole town done.  Then we would dump out candy bags, count the pieces we had, compare what we got, trade, etc.  It was always about the costumes and candy.  Oh, and the scariest decorated houses.  But mostly the candy.

Same here. A lot of the boys liked to steal each other's candy, so every block or so the one I was with would dump his into mine because they left the girls alone. Pretty sure I screwed him royally every year at the end of the night when we divided it back up. I don't share my candy bitches.

Oh, and when he jumped someone for their candy, it went right into my sack, making retaliation impossible. Life was good.

This image makes me laugh.  I remember the boys doing this around here too, but I don't think any of them were ever smart enough to hand their candy over to any of us.  Ha!
  • I wish someone would have done that in my neighborhood.   We got not even half the trick or treaters we got last year.  I figured we would be ambushed since it is so nice outside!  I have way too much candy left, and I have a love hate relationship with that fact right now!
    Livian Elizabeth and Alayna Marjorie!  On their way to 3!
    Lilypie - (mtvk)
    Lilypie - (WdLV)
  • are you seriously that butthurt???  so what, the more the merrier for your own children.  If you want quiet, go to the old folks home
  • imageSarahTx5701:

um, wow...so....drama gene is prominent in your area... 10/4 kimosabi

• I live in one of the most popular trick or treating neighborhoods in my area, things get crowded, kids want candy, and biitches be biitches, it's a fact of life. Instead of getting butthurt because people were rude just be thankful you only have to deal with it one day out of the year and move on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagej_luvs_r:
    imageSarahTx5701:

THIS.  We always counted/compared at the end of the night.  It was fun.  As far as older kids coming around asking for candy with just a t-shirt and some blood on it, I totally don't mind.  I would rather the teenager still be a little kid at heart and goofy.  Than have him think he's too cool for trick or treating and end up smoking a joint at his friends house.  So teenagers are always welcome to come get candy on Halloween at my house.  Costume or no costume. 

• I grew up in an ok but very poor area of my city.  We had tons of kids everywhere but when I turned 11 a friend of mine invited me to go to the Northside with her and her family to go trick or treating.  I thought she was crazy "why not just stay in our neighborhood" till we got there and I got FULL SIZE CANDY and small TOYS... OMG it was awsome.  From someone who's father made under 12,000 a year and supported a family of 5 getting tons of "real" candy was amazing. 

I still live in a neighborhood similar to the one I grew up in despite that fact that we could live someone much much bigger and nicer.  The kids in my neighborhood are very similar to me growing up and I love the expression on their faces when they come to our home and get tons of stuff.  This year we not only gave candy but we gave pumpkin erasers for school and braclets to everyone. 

Yes the older kids can be annoying but at least they are trick or treating and not doing something worse. (I work in a psychiatric hospital and trust me tonight I have witnessed the much worse things they could have been doing: THC, Spice, Bath Salts, Overdosing on drugs, Alcohol).

2nd EDD 02/01/13 - MC 5 1/2 weeks 6/5/12. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Having the extra people doesn't bother me...I think the more trick or treaters, the more fun.  I love to see all of the costumes.  What bothers me is, as PP mentioned, the parents driving around in golf carts.  It doesn't seem safe and for reals?  How lazy can you be!!!!
  • I would drive out of area next year when DD is trick or treating, no one trick or treats in this area anymore i had 2 small groups last night that's it. There was a Halloween candy scare a few years back, someone put razor blades and other items in the candy. Since then i've noticed each year there is less and less. This year was the worst yet. This isn't a bad area either and tons of kids, im assuming everyone drives out of area or goes to a grandparents area etc.
  • Later in the night we have several cars of kids being dropped off on our street. The kids are very clearly not from our neighborhood, but more than likely it is not safe where they live to trick or treat. If I was a good person living in a bad area, you can bet that I would load up my kids to take them someplace safe to trick or treat. I wouldn't be so quick to judge. There is no fine print rule to Halloween.
  • Trick or treating isn't social hour.  It's for the kids to get dressed up, and get treats.  That's it.  I would get annoyed if someone pushed my 3 year old too, but oh well, it's not all about my kids either.
  • My neighborhood sucks for TOT-ing.  Loose dogs, homes in disrepair, most people not participating anyway.  Yes, we want to move, but with the falling home values we may very well be screwed. 

We went to another neighborhood just 2 miles from us, where the streets were well-lit, the (very nice) houses all decorated and participating, and we had a ball pulling DD and another friend's kid in a wagon.  There were lots of kids TOT-ing in the nice neighborhood where we went who were without costumes, older, with parents driving them, etc., but honestly it's ONE night, and I totally understand why some of the poor kids "invade" the nicer neighborhoods.  Why shouldn't they get to have a fun, safe TOT experience too?  Would it be annoying if I were a homeowner in the nice neighborhood?  Probably.  But I'm not, so oh well.  Stick out tongue

• LOL.

We went to another neighborhood. Not because ours isn't good, but because our childcare holds a big pizza party, then all the kids can go throughout the neighborhood together.  My daughter gets to TorT with her best buds this way.  Who knew you had to stay within the confines of your own neighborhood.

imageimage
  • imagebuffaluffagus:

First and foremost, I gave every high schooler kid a single banana Laffy Taffy as punishment for ToTing despite probably being more advanced in math than me. Including my freshman nephew, who promptly gave me every bag of Raisenettes out of his bag (SCORE!). But that's not the point. I made them all say "Trick or Treat" before I'd put the candy in their bag, and then I'd remind them to say "Thank you" if they didn't right away. I totally sounded like a mom, but they were all good-humored about it and no one smashed our pumpkin or egged our house.

Second, I see both sides of it. Some neighborhoods in Milwaukee you have to pay $5 for a wristband for each kid, then the participating houses in a 3 or 6 block area split up the proceeds to purchase candy. It becomes a big neighborhood party, but mainly it creates kind of a safety net.

On the flip side, I also was one of those kids who would hit every.single.house in town. We carried around pillow cases and they would be FULL by the end of the night. Over-flowing full.

I guess either way, Halloween is about a sense of entitlement by the children. No matter what you do or how you feel, you can't win.

What?

As for the sense of entitlement...I had to laugh because last night I watch DH fight over a bag of M&M's that this girl was trying to take extra of...there was seriously a power struggle between the two with my husband semi grunting saying

"just...one...candy!"

The girl was like 6.

• That reminds me of one ToTer we had last night. He was like 4ish. I gave him something and he was like, I want that one! His mom looked like she wanted to die and quickly apologized. I laughed and gave him the other one too. Then another piece for his brother.

It was just funny. Reminds me that kids have no brain to mouth filter.

As for ToTing out of your neighborhood? Eh. It's one night a year. So I hope that everyone has fun! As to pushing/shoving - that's something else entirely and will get dealt with. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • It doesn't bother me because I feel like if they live in an apartment or unsafe neighborhood, the kids should get to enjoy Halloween in a fun environment where every house is lit up and involved. This was our first Halloween in our new neighborhood and it was great. We had kids that didn't live in our neighborhood (I know this because of the amount of kids that we had).

I didn't take DS out trick or treating because he can't eat candy. It would have been uncool for me to take the neighbors candy for myself to eat. We dressed up DS and played in the front yard and passed out candy. I might do this again next year since he had a blast seeing all the kids.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• And, we didn't have many not dressed up. One group came later when I was giving DS a bath. Three 10 year old girls and one 6 year old boy. The boy was in full costume and the girls were not. The girls were handed one piece of candy each and the boy got a handful. The boy smiled huge and said "I got more than all of you!". My husband said "That is because you dressed up and they didn't. Happy Halloween."

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• I think it might be different in my region... we don't really have "neighborhoods" like the rest of you guys in other states do. But anyway, I grew up on a very busy street. We never got a single TOTer despite the fact that my dad bought FULL SIZE candy bars every year and went crazy with decorations. No sidewalk on our side either. So needless to say we didn't go TOTing in our own "neighborhood" either.

Then when we bought our house I was super excited bc it's on a dead end street. I thought we would get tons of ToTers, but the only kids that come to the house are the 3 or 4 kids who live on our street. Last night we went to a different neighborhood.

I totally agree with the car thing though. There used to be a family on our street with two sons. The mom would drive her TEENAGE sons down the road for TOTing. They would hop out of the back of her van and come up to the house. Ridiculous.

• We live in a nice city neighborhood in a row house so it's prime ToTing territory.  And yes, there are parents who bring carloads of kids into our neighborhood to ToT.  Who cares?  It's not that safe to ToT in their own neighborhood and most of their neighbors probably don't participate.

It's basically a big block party on my street.  I do shut down though once the crowd gets older and the costumes get sparser.

It is funny though because there's a wealthy neighborhood a few blocks north of us and yet that remains fairly free of "outsiders" because the houses are too spread out.  It cracks me up that the kids realize (or maybe their parents do) that the most efficient way to get good candy is to hit up the townhouses - not the single family homes.

• I live in a great neighborhood for TOTing. It is an older neighborhood with tree lined streets and great sidewalks. Lots of people really get into decorating their houses. People sit outside on their front porches with spooky music playing and pass out their treats. So naturally people drive in and drop their kids off. The main street gets really crowded and it is kinda annoying that it is so clustered. I think the only thing that bothers me are the parents who TOT for their infant in a stroller, lol. WTH is that all about?
  • I've been living in the same area my whole life, and I never remembered as many out-of-area kids as I did this year. It kind of annoyed me at first because my candy was running out so quickly, and I bought $25 worth. Then I remembered that I live in a good neighborhood in Philly, and some of these kids probably come from an area that is not safe for kids to walk around trick-or-treating. Plus, they were all pleasant and complemented my little ladybug :) I got over it quickly - but probably won't buy extra candy for next year since it is pretty expensive. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"