January 2012 Moms

Don't you hate...

...when people try to regulate your intake while you're pregnant.

This weekend I was around about 15 friends that are from different parts of Georgia, but periodically, we all get together to party.  They rented a house and I decided to stop by, even though I knew I couldn't drink.

They spent the entire night talking about my weight gain (as if I'm not fully aware of this already), then made it clear that I couldn't drink ANYTHING. I'm grown, I'm pregnant, I know...sh!t. Every time I walked into the kitchen, someone would scream, "NO! You can't drink...someone watch her!"

Friends who see me on a regular basis ask me how much I'm eating and if I don't eat what they feel is "enough" while we're out, they say that's why my bump is so small for 7.5 months, because I "starve" myself. Not to mention, while we're out, a server will ask us if we want drinks, they make it a point to say, "She's pregnant. She can't have any alcohol." Um, thanks... 

I went to the football game in New York and my best friend told me how important it was for me to cover up and button up my jacket, because it's cold outside. Thanks, mom (I know she does it bc I'm carrying her Godchild, but geez)!

Sorry for another vent, but this treating me like I'm 5 is REALLY starting to piss me off. *sigh* 10 more weeks, 10 more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Don't you hate...

• I know the feeling.  My wedding was a few weeks ago, and I had people ask me what was in my toast glass (it was sparkling cider since I couldn't have champagne and wanted something nice).  It was annoying that people thought I would put my baby at possible risk for a formality.

For whatever reason, I think people in general think pregnant women need advice on how not to debilitate our unborn children.  I suspect it comes from an instinct to protect the pregnant member of the group.  Since we are "civilized", that manifests itself in trying to make sure we don't do anything to hurt the baby, even though we are competent adults who have probably done more reading  recently about how to protect an unborn child.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • imagenamara5532:

I know the feeling.  My wedding was a few weeks ago, and I had people ask me what was in my toast glass (it was sparkling cider since I couldn't have champagne and wanted something nice).  It was annoying that people thought I would put my baby at possible risk for a formality.

For whatever reason, I think people in general think pregnant women need advice on how not to debilitate our unborn children.  I suspect it comes from an instinct to protect the pregnant member of the group.  Since we are "civilized", that manifests itself in trying to make sure we don't do anything to hurt the baby, even though we are competent adults who have probably done more reading  recently about how to protect an unborn child.

At your wedding? Congratulations!!!

But geez, can you enjoy your day without people hounding you...they might as well have sampled the glass before you drank from it.  

• Loading the player...
  • imagekes487:
    At your wedding? Congratulations!!!

But geez, can you enjoy your day without people hounding you...they might as well have sampled the glass before you drank from it.  

I guess they thought I'd get so wrapped up in my wedding formalities that I'd forget I shouldn't have actual champagne.  lol.

And thanks. :)  I wish I had more energy to have properly socialized with everyone.  Getting married while pregnant is no picnic, but at least everyone was considerate when I needed to sit back down and let people come to me.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Yes, at work if I try to even lift a book that's too heavy someone's in my classroom yelling at me. I'm always being watched... but I try to remember it's coming from a good place!
    DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• I went to a friends wedding and had 3-4 sips of champagne. It is my body and my husband and I agree to what I put in my body. I had no questions but I also didn't over do it.
  • Ugh, yes! Fortunately, most people in my day-to-day life wouldn't dream of commenting on what I eat, because they know it's none of their business, and that I'm better informed than them to make those decisions. 

However, whenever I'm around my sister, she feels it's her job to monitor what I eat and drink. She's constantly asking me questions, and if she thinks I shouldn't be eating something, she yells at me. So. annoying. Even though we've had words about it, she still feels she's right to try to "correct" me. I have GD, and there are so many restrictions in addition to regular pregnancy stuff. So if I want an extra glass of iced tea, I'm going to have it! A person can only take so much before they start to rip their hair out. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"